Advice needed: touchscreen monitors

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So, my old 23 inch secondary monitor died a few days back. I'm still mourning, but I'm also browsing for a new one. I'm a freelance artist, so the obvious choice would be to buy some decent 24/27" Dell with a nice resolution, but there are some problems that keep me from doing so:
- I love Windows 8
- I'd REALLY like to use my PC as an touchscreen device.

I know there are some touchscreen monitors out there, but I get the feeling they're all either too expensive, or have a "low" resolution. Does anyone have any advice for me?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1080p, 23in touchscreen from Acer that works wonderfully. Only problem: I don't find it very useful on a desktop. With a desktop screen, it usually is 2-3 feet away from your head. Now, hold your hand out that distance for any length of time. No bueno. Some will say you can just rest your elbow on your desk. That doesn't take to long to become uncomfortable either.

Unless you plan on using it more as an input device compared to a monitor you can touch, I wouldn't do it. It works for tablets and some laptops very well, not desktops though.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!
Now I kinda hate Microsoft for making an OS that works so well with touchscreens... I think my best option is to buy a Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch as primary monitor and a secondary non-touch monitor to watch movies on and stuff... But I'll first have to sell my body to science to get the money needed for a purchase like that :(

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried getting a touchscreen monitor when 8 first came out and found out that my 3 monitor setup was going to cost a bit more than I wanted lol. I am thinking about investing this holiday season though, so I'm interested in hearing how frequently people actually use their touchscreens on desktops.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I tried getting a touchscreen monitor when 8 first came out and found out that my 3 monitor setup was going to cost a bit more than I wanted lol. I am thinking about investing this holiday season though, so I'm interested in hearing how frequently people actually use their touchscreens on desktops.

Not very much! I have had mine since Windows 8 was first release to the public (preview edition or whatever it was called). I would only get it if it was in a setup in which touch control would be the main input (i.e. next to a couch to control a htpc).

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not very much! I have had mine since Windows 8 was first release to the public (preview edition or whatever it was called). I would only get it if it was in a setup in which touch control would be the main input (i.e. next to a couch to control a htpc).

Interesting. I work at Geek Squad so I set them up all day and the touch screens are fun, but the computers are on shelves and im standing, so I can't compare to using at a desk.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I work at Geek Squad so I set them up all day and the touch screens are fun, but the computers are on shelves and im standing, so I can't compare to using at a desk.

I could see how that would make it easier. Maybe in a situation in the kitchen so you could easily check up on sites and video while cooking or cleaning.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That's where my mom's all in one touchscreen Windows 7 machine is! lol

And in that situation I can see it making sense. I just wouldn't purchase mine again for a normal desktop setup.

Now, if you had some type of computer stand that moved backwards and forwards, you could bring the monitor closer when you wanted to play a touch game or something like that, while having it further back in normal use.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
And in that situation I can see it making sense. I just wouldn't purchase mine again for a normal desktop setup.

Now, if you had some type of computer stand that moved backwards and forwards, you could bring the monitor closer when you wanted to play a touch game or something like that, while having it further back in normal use.

I think i'll keep waiting until they update the software for my wedge mouse! GIVE ME GESTURES!!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you find that comfortable? Seemed way too small to me.

I have fairly big hands but I still enjoy using the wedge mouse! It's perfect for on the go with the Surface, but I still find my Sidewinder X5 to be more comfortable just because its bigger and lighter.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have fairly big hands but I still enjoy using the wedge mouse! It's perfect for on the go with the Surface, but I still find my Sidewinder X5 to be more comfortable just because its bigger and lighter.

I have the Touch Arc. Being about to lay it completely flat when on the go is awesome!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes