Glance Background 920 vs 1020

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So I just upgraded from my 920 to a 1020.

Is it just me or are the glance backgrounds on the 1020 just ***-looking in comparison to on the 920? glance backgrounds on my 920 had barely noticeable pixelation and no scanlines. the 1020 is opposite; very ugly looking glance backgrounds.

Is this a limitation of the AMOLD display on the 1020? Or am I just the only one who has noticed this?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What I'm getting on my 920 sounds like what you're describing with the 1020. Settings seem largely irrelevant because backgrounds end up dithered regardless and scanlines are added. One or the other would be fine, but the combination of the two ruins most images.

I understand why Nokia has done this, but it would be nice to have some options. I think I could tolerate the scanline effect if it images weren't also dithered.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
No, its way worse. Normal pictures on a 1020 are crisp and clear. Glance background pictures are extremely pixelated. Its something with the App and the 1020.

Yes, normal pictures would look good. But with glance it isn't because the rest of the display is off, and only certain pixels are lit up, that's why there's a noticeable "sharpness".

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, normal pictures would look good. But with glance it isn't because the rest of the display is off, and only certain pixels are lit up, that's why there's a noticeable "sharpness".

if I have a solid blue image, why would pixels inside the image turn off? I'm not sure you really understand what's going on here. No offense. Glance does nothing special to the way an OLED works. It works the same if Glance is running or the home screen is on. Glance = pixelated. Everything else = beautiful.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
From Nokia:

"For example every second vertical pixel is removed on LCD screens, to cut down on the power used. On AMOLED screens, horizontal pixels were also removed to further aid with power consumption. Second, there was a risk of screen burn – the background image creating a permanent ‘after-image’ on the display. To resolve this, the displayed pixels are alternated every hour to the ones that are otherwise turned off, so that pixel burn won’t happen. This has quite a happy consequence. The image used for the background almost looks as though it’s on another, lower level than the clock figures. Less pixels = less light = it looks further away."

So its by design. Kinda what I thought. :(

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
From Nokia:

"For example every second vertical pixel is removed on LCD screens, to cut down on the power used. On AMOLED screens, horizontal pixels were also removed to further aid with power consumption. Second, there was a risk of screen burn – the background image creating a permanent ‘after-image’ on the display. To resolve this, the displayed pixels are alternated every hour to the ones that are otherwise turned off, so that pixel burn won’t happen. This has quite a happy consequence. The image used for the background almost looks as though it’s on another, lower level than the clock figures. Less pixels = less light = it looks further away."

So its by design. Kinda what I thought. :(

well that answered my question about burn in.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
How many horizontal pixels does the AMOLED version turn off? PenTile pixels don't really stand on their own; they need their neighbors to pretend they are displaying the correct color, so it can't be every other one, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes