Samsung ATIV S - Lumia 920 - HTC 8X

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I want to know opinions on which phone to get, I know these are first gen phones.

I had the HTC 8x last year but got rid myself f it for personal reasons, I found nothing wrong with it apart from the 16gb storage problems and I don't want to upload everything to skydrive all the time.

I was leaning towards the Lumia 920 but due to various problems including overheating, switching off and reboot problems is making me second guess my choice.

ATIV S was another choice but I'm hearing bad reviews on it, from problems ranging from the super AMOLEAD screen to sound problems when in calls.

I am not interested in the lower end models of lumia and really funds aren't available for newer models. I just bees aone help figuring out which one would be good for me.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
925, but then 16 GB is enough?
920 is a good call, 1 year warranty should iron all your issues.

You could go for the 1320 as well, if you are a fan of phablets.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The 8X would seem to be the best choice right now, but those buttons and the 16GB internal storage kind of turn me off. Best design I've seen so far on WP, though. Barring the 720, of course ;)

The 920 seems like a solid choice on paper. You might get one of the various lemons, though.

While I'm biased against Samsung, it seems like the Ativ S is the best choice at the moment. Samsung's support comes second to Nokia, sure, but it has the largest battery of any Windows Phone and it's decent in all other regards (other than the fact that it's meh in design.)

But, if you're willing to shell out more, get a 520/620 and slug it out for a while. Once the true 920 successor comes out, spring for that and give/sell the 520/620.

You not only have to worry about the decision now, you have an instant gift!

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had all 3 and still using my Ativ S all have their pro's and con's but I prefer the Samsung & HTC over the Lumia. Depends what's most important to you on a phone ?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The 8X would seem to be the best choice right now, but those buttons and the 16GB internal storage kind of turn me off. Best design I've seen so far on WP, though. Barring the 720, of course ;)

The 920 seems like a solid choice on paper. You might get one of the various lemons, though.

While I'm biased against Samsung, it seems like the Ativ S is the best choice at the moment. Samsung's support comes second to Nokia, sure, but it has the largest battery of any Windows Phone and it's decent in all other regards (other than the fact that it's meh in design.)

But, if you're willing to shell out more, get a 520/620 and slug it out for a while. Once the true 920 successor comes out, spring for that and give/sell the 520/620.

You not only have to worry about the decision now, you have an instant gift!

I agree. The 920, while a decent phone, seems to have had more than it's fair share of issues. The other thing to remember is that only the low to mid range Lumia have expandable storage, unlike the ATIV S. The ATIV S also has a replaceable battery and, AFAIK, none of the Lumia range have that either. I haven't had any issues with my ATIV S, that doesn't mean that others haven't though and that goes for Nokia and HTC devices as well.

I have to agree with Smg-Uk though, it depends what you are looking for in a phone. The best thing to do is take a look at all of them, if you can try them out in a shop first then make your decision.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The 920, while a decent phone, seems to have had more than it's fair share of issues. The other thing to remember is that only the low to mid range Lumia have expandable storage, unlike the ATIV S. The ATIV S also has a replaceable battery and, AFAIK, none of the Lumia range have that either. I haven't had any issues with my ATIV S, that doesn't mean that others haven't though and that goes for Nokia and HTC devices as well.

I have to agree with Smg-Uk though, it depends what you are looking for in a phone. The best thing to do is take a look at all of them, if you can try them out in a shop first then make your decision.

Samsung has 0.01% of wp8 phones as compared to Android, they have like gazillions. AM talking of after sales support here and Exclusive apps.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I was was wanting to get the lumia 920 but not sure if I can put up with any problems with it. I've had the 8x the only problem I had with it but storage was the problem.

Is the ATIV S still a good phone to purchase?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I was was wanting to get the lumia 920 but not sure if I can put up with any problems with it. I've had the 8x the only problem I had with it but storage was the problem.

It is, yes. It has features that none of the high end Lumia range have as previously mentioned. It's also the only Windows Phone 8 device to have an interop unlock and custom ROMs available for it.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Just make sure that Samsung Service centre is within your reach, just in case. Its a very good phone no doubt, it has great hardware and stuff coupled with a random design that appeals me, but its just that its made by Samsung who is more into Android and less into windows.
It was in my list when I wanted to get my first wp8, I got the 720 instead.

Speaking of which, are you aware of the 720?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am aware of the 720 I don't want a lower end model though.

Why would I need to be close to a Samsung service centre?

Well, 720 is not a lower end model, its a mid range device.

You might also want to check 1320, 1520 (If you are into those sizes)

I read many threads where users updated their Ativ S to GDR 2 and had problems, when they visited the service center, the SC guys admitted that the GDR 2 created these problems. Am not saying Samsung is a bad company, its good, its nice, it makes pretty good phones. But boy, when it comes to wp8 and Samsung I have to make sure I have my bum covered with warranty and service centre in close proximity.

Once again, I don't say Samsung is a bad company or ATIV S is a bad device, its just that Samsung's major focus is on Android and not WP8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon