Why does everything on the UI need to be so big?

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a Windows Phone (Lumia 920 on GDR2) to play with for two days. The goal was to see if the OS is far enough for me to switch to WP. While I certainly liked some parts I also didn't like some things. Most of the things I didn't like were manageable. But what I really didn't like was how big everything on the UI was.

The title text of most apps is huge. Internet Explorer defaults to a pretty close zoom, which is fine for desktop version of sites, but mobile sites usually don't resize to something smaller. 9 out of 10 times, no matter what the app I'm using, I feel like a lot of screen estate is wasted on way too big text and UI elements.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The title text of most apps is huge. Internet Explorer defaults to a pretty close zoom, which is fine for desktop version of sites, but mobile sites usually don't resize to something smaller. 9 out of 10 times, no matter what the app I'm using, I feel like a lot of screen estate is wasted on way too big text and UI elements.

It's possible the someone was playing around with the Ease Of Access settings. You can change font size, contrast and enable/disable screen magnifier. I own a L920 and I don't seem to have any of those issues.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Too bad you don't have any SS's. We could tell ya if that is, or isn't normal.

They were only playing around with it, they don't own one. I do agree that the large text can sometimes be too large. Other than that I see no issues. But then I'm not exactly young anymore. :p

Last edited:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This generally isn't an issue for me, but it does drive me crazy in the Office hub. So many document names get cut off, meaning you need to open the file to confirm which one it is. Same problem with SharePoint, where my company stores lots of shared work documents- many of which have version numbers or author codes or other identifiers appended to the file name. I can't show screen shots of my actual work documents but this mock-up shows you what I mean. It would be nice if we could pinch to zoom out, or tap/hold a document name and have it bring up more details (e.g. full file name, date edited, author, tags, etc.).
wp_ss_20131106_0001.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This generally isn't an issue for me, but it does drive me crazy in the Office hub. So many document names get cut off, meaning you need to open the file to confirm which one it is. Same problem with SharePoint, where my company stores lots of shared work documents- many of which have version numbers or author codes or other identifiers appended to the file name. I can't show screen shots of my actual work documents but this mock-up shows you what I mean. It would be nice if we could pinch to zoom out, or tap/hold a document name and have it bring up more details (e.g. full file name, date edited, author, tags, etc.).

I can agree with you there. I do have documents with long names that get cut off. I think there should be a text size setting or like you suggested a zoom in/out function. Either that or allow the text to go over two lines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3