11-11-2013 12:25 PM
76 1234
tools
    Well as most people said here it depends on what they want to use it for.
    Android is more advanced and have more apps and games,but you need a good phone to run smoothly.
    WP8 is more simple than other Mobile OS',it have less apps and games,but i like the design + it runs really smoothly on my lumia 520.
    iOS,well i wouldn't really recommend that.
    Conclusion,it depends on everyone's taste and what he wants to use his mobile,and honestly i would recommend WP8 to other people.
    snowmutt and WP8fan like this.
    11-09-2013 08:56 AM
    Android is not the laggy experience it used to be with modern high spec devices though is it.My son and wife both have nexus 4s and they don't suffer from lag,crashes etc.The nexus 5 is even faster and kitkat is supposed to be another step up and improve things on lower spec devices.
    I really want to love wp8 but apart from the camera i honestly can't find anything better about my 920 than the nexus's.(including the price)
    wp8 is nice,smooth and simple and my 920 has a great screen but as a smartphone android and ios blow it out the water in my opinion.
    I really hope Microsoft step upto the mark and quickly.
    11-09-2013 08:59 AM
    I would never recommend it to anyone starting a 2 year contract. What i would recommend though is to purchase one used or a 520\521, swap it on to their line and try it for a while. If they don't like it, sell the phone for minimal loss or maybe they will find WP8 isn't too bad.
    11-09-2013 09:51 AM
    Lately i found something interesting:
    Since mid-2011, Microsoft has had the ability to detect exactly what software is installed on your phone, whether added through the Marketplace or sideloaded. As a result, installation of any illegally acquired software will be listed on Microsoft’s servers against your Windows Live account. You wouldn’t want that to happen, now would you?
    That means that is almost impossible for someone to pirate apps on WP8.
    Not sure if this is good or not.
    11-09-2013 09:51 AM
    I generally tell people that if you don't want or can't afford a high end android (or Iphone) get a WP8. Low and midrange Lumias beat everything else in their price zones, especially for people who aren't too tech savvy. High end Lumias are awesome as well, but if you really want to tinker with your phone a lot and be able to modify anything, then WP8 isn't for you. I'd usually fit in that group of people, but since I've lost lots of respect for Google, love Nokia and don't mind Microsoft - i went with the 920. Fingers crossed that the Lumia line will prevail in it's full glory after the takeover, otherwise I don't know what my next phone will be...
    WP8fan and cckgz4 like this.
    11-09-2013 09:58 AM
    Obviously. If I believed there were a better OS, I wouldn't be using WP. I've recommended it to dozens of people already.
    snowmutt and DalekSnare like this.
    11-09-2013 10:19 AM
    Obviously. If I believed there were a better OS, I wouldn't be using WP. I've recommended it to dozens of people already.
    I don't think it's about being better or worse. Not everyone is able to appreciate what WP does better, and most of those advantages aren't in-your-face obvious, whereas the negatives are. I consider WP to be an acquired taste. Like music that grows on you, or a fine wine that still requires aging.
    11-09-2013 10:36 AM
    Is this your experience? "MS servers constantly overwhelmed, late notifications, plagued with issues". How so? How do you own so many versions yourself, (if you did own these you listed) say you love these phones, but tell your friends to go with anything but Windows Phone 8? For the record, I'd recommend WP8 in a NY minute.
    it would seem to be your experience too:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...time-bugs.html
    11-09-2013 10:40 AM
    I don't think it's about being better or worse. Not everyone is able to appreciate what WP does better, and most of those advantages aren't in-your-face obvious, whereas the negatives are. I consider WP to be an acquired taste. Like music that grows on you, or a fine wine that still requires aging.
    Hm, perhaps. I'll be looking forward to WP8.1 If they include enough new features, we might see the image of the OS among the general population change dramatically.
    11-09-2013 11:02 AM
    Yes I do actually I do it every day. Why?

There is nothing that Android or iPhone can do that makes it worth giving up what Windows Phone does BETTER.

I don't know what WP you are using but you need a factory replacement. The battery drain issues with the 920 can't be denied it happens to two many people. It never happened to me on my 920 but people experience things differently. Live tiles not updating FREQUINTLY? Are you embellishing a bit here? Live tiles not updating is bad code from the App developer lets point the finger the right direction here. "MS servers constantly overwhelmed" What? Lets move on nothing to see here.

Back to the question do I recommend WP? Yes I do.
    First, your use cases must be very limited to make such an overarching statement. Forget what WP does better, there are too many things it is flat-out incapable of doing. Granted, maybe a small minority actually need that functionality. But even common tasks, like email attachments, are annoying or impossible to do.

Next, so-called "Live Tiles" are hard-limited at updating every 30 mins. That's broken, right there. Many reports of no or unreliable updates leads me to believe that coding properly for this is difficult, OR the live tile system is flawed. Regardless, consumers don't care. Those same developers do it well on other platforms. I don't care. MS, fix it.

What do I call compelling? The 5S' fingerprint lock, the first time biometrics has been implemented usefully, in a reliable manner, for authentication on a mobile device. Google Now, which monitors my appointments, flights, location, public transit, telling me when I leave my home that the Piccadilly Line is not in service today and I should instead to to Euston and take the Northern line, getting off at Tottenham Court Road instead of Covent Garden. Voice search, recognising the context and adapting accordingly. Now these are compelling things that I can actually do with my phone and go beyond simple aesthetic flourishes which mean little.

Now I appreciate the engineering needed to get a good 41 MP snapper in to a phone chassis, but that's not really changing the game - it's evolutionary, a case of "get a bigger effing hammer".

WP would be better served if we had people capable of recognising the platform's flaws and acknowledging them, which may see some improvement in the platform, rather than camouflaging them as "smoothness!" and "fluidity!" and "security!". Bright colours are nice for some tween out to impress the birds and a good camera helps when you want to post pics of whatever your baby just did, but I want to get work done.
    WP8fan likes this.
    11-09-2013 11:14 AM
    This is what friends from Scotland tell me about haggis :)
    snowmutt, a5cent and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-09-2013 11:16 AM
    As the resident "expert" in mobile- in other words, "the only one who reads about it", The answer has been repeted over and over-

How do you use your device?

If you love apps and tinkering with your phone or have a hardware requirement you have to have (keyboard, ECT)- Android is most likely your thing.

If you love apps and hate tinkering and do not mind paying a little more, Apple might fit your bill.

If you do not care that much about apps, do not want to tinker, and maybe want something a little different, WP is right up your alley.

Are they worried about stability? Steer away from Android.

Are you interested in keeping your device a full two years and maybe beyond? Both Apple and WP are solid choices.

It all goes on and on. Ask me why I use WP, I can sell you on it. Tell me how you want to use your smartphone, and I can recommend what should work for you.
    Nemanja Pavlovic and cckgz4 like this.
    11-09-2013 11:36 AM
    I used Windows OS on a Lumia 1020 for a couple of months. I didn't mind it at first, but after a while you start to realize how ancient it seems. It feels as if certain things were implemented and never finished.

The best way for me to describe it is that it felt very much like a beta test. You'll have to try it out for yourself to judge it fairly, but I got a Note 3 and couldn't believe how many features and settings I had at my finger tips.
    broar94 likes this.
    11-09-2013 11:44 AM
    Do you guys realise the OP has not posted even once after his first post and the only post on WPCentral?

Bait much?
    11-09-2013 12:08 PM
    Do you guys realise the OP has not posted even once after his first post and the only post on WPCentral?

Bait much?
    marketing at its best!
    11-09-2013 12:13 PM
    First, your use cases must be very limited to make such an overarching statement. Forget what WP does better, there are too many things it is flat-out incapable of doing. Granted, maybe a small minority actually need that functionality. But even common tasks, like email attachments, are annoying or impossible to do.

Next, so-called "Live Tiles" are hard-limited at updating every 30 mins. That's broken, right there. Many reports of no or unreliable updates leads me to believe that coding properly for this is difficult, OR the live tile system is flawed. Regardless, consumers don't care. Those same developers do it well on other platforms. I don't care. MS, fix it.

What do I call compelling? The 5S' fingerprint lock, the first time biometrics has been implemented usefully, in a reliable manner, for authentication on a mobile device. Google Now, which monitors my appointments, flights, location, public transit, telling me when I leave my home that the Piccadilly Line is not in service today and I should instead to to Euston and take the Northern line, getting off at Tottenham Court Road instead of Covent Garden. Voice search, recognising the context and adapting accordingly. Now these are compelling things that I can actually do with my phone and go beyond simple aesthetic flourishes which mean little.

Now I appreciate the engineering needed to get a good 41 MP snapper in to a phone chassis, but that's not really changing the game - it's evolutionary, a case of "get a bigger effing hammer".

WP would be better served if we had people capable of recognising the platform's flaws and acknowledging them, which may see some improvement in the platform, rather than camouflaging them as "smoothness!" and "fluidity!" and "security!". Bright colours are nice for some tween out to impress the birds and a good camera helps when you want to post pics of whatever your baby just did, but I want to get work done.
    First I will speek to my use case. Over the last month I started with a Note 3 got it on launch day. Got it with a GG Watch I like to check out the competition to see what is so great. The next big thins is not so big. It is buggy and at time rendered useless by buggy flat lines that cause the system to crash needing to be reset. This makes the whole system useless to me. I need a device that works as described. I need a reliable device that I can count on to work. If my customer needs an answer money is lost if I have to reset my phone before I can respond. Next I traded the Note 3 for a iPhone 5s Gold 16gb. Here is my experience with the finger print scanner. Finger one no read, try again, no read try again, finger two read. Next time I start the phone finger one no read try again, no read try again enter code. Reprogram finger one works for a day then, no read try again enter code. That is my experience with the iPhone 5S finger print scanner. Its a waist of time just enter the code its faster.

On screen live tile INRIX traffic double tap the screen eyes open look at live tile, lock screen question asked and answered. If I see a red line on the map that is in my path I open the hub and check. Tap places, go to work get the map and make an informed decision on the best rout to my destination. Android Voice command is flawed it does not work. Samsung's version is even worse. That is my experience with the highest end Samsung Android device the Note 3. Apple has the advantage with VC SIRI is a great program. That said Windows Phone VC is just as usable and gets the job done. Though lacks the personal touch you get with SIRI.

What WP needs to improve will come. What Windows Phone has now, what it can do now makes it a good choice for most consumers. I recommend it over Android Note 3 and iPhone 5s and I can do this confidently having recently spend weeks with both devices. How about you have you owned a iPhone 5s, Note 3 and Windows Phone Lumia 1020? I have and I can tell you I will stick with my Lumia and I will recommend Windows Phone over any other OS on the market today.

There is nothing that Android or iPhone can do that makes it worth giving up what Windows Phone does BETTER.
    Laura Knotek, eric12341 and cckgz4 like this.
    11-09-2013 12:30 PM
    Even so, it's a good topic.

My answer - like so many of the other knowledgeable, level-headed answers we've seen in this thread - depends on several factors. Primarily, "to whom am I making this recommendation?" If I'm making it to people who have used Android and/or iOS and are heavily invested in those systems, no way. They'll be better off staying with what they know and like. Unless they're a total tech-head like me who wants to explore alternate solutions, then certainly; I recommended it to one of the other IT guys at work, who was a die-hard Android guy - and he prefers WP to Android (he's also picked up a Surface as well, so he's hooked. Heh.)

Would I recommend it to someone who only wants specific apps? Not yet. But I recently recommended WP to a buddy of mine for his wife who hasn't owned a smartphone and didn't care about the specific apps, but wanted similar functionality to her friends iPhones and Androids. I found apps which do the same things, and she loves it. (Of course, it wasn't a hard sell. He's a pretty die-hard MS guy to begin with and a very talented MS SQL/.NET developer.)

Would I recommend it to my business? No, because we are international and I don't think there are any international Windows Phones (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that WP devices on US carriers are not the international versions). But to a local business that is invested in Microsoft (Exchange, Office, etc.)? Oh, totally. I use my 920 under my company's BYOD policy (I never travel internationally), and it excels... although VPN connectivity is on my list of "want to haves".

What about my brother and girlfriend? No, they're way too enamored of their iPhones. But my dad? Oh yeah, because it would be a good fit for him...

...and that's what it comes down to. Would WP be a good fit for the person to whom you're making the recommendation? If so, yeah, I'll make it. If not, no, they'll be happier elsewhere.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-09-2013 12:31 PM
    One or two people have questioned my love of WP and my list of WP phones (see attached) in my first post I omitted my HTC advantage and HTC HD7 pro. I never throw away my old phones as most are running custom roms (my little hobby). Yes this was my first post on WPC, but the issues I raise are well documented here on WPC and other sites. What has my post achieved, open discussion! and maybe MS are reading our posts.
    In the past I have always proudly promoted my latest WP phone against the IOS and android phones my friends have. My phones are not full of apps, I have what I need, a good news and sport app, cross OS msg apps (whatsapp and FB) Yet I still have to re-install or soft boot WP8 to get these tiles and notifications to work.
    I’m not giving up on WP; I have been onboard since day one and firmly believe that one day it will be the OS that other manufactures’ aspire too! WP7 was innovating; WP8 seems to have lost its way.

house.jpg
    11-09-2013 01:00 PM
    I actually don't know what the problem is with recommending wp8 to anyone.
    I recommend it to everyone, my 920 is without any problems, livetiles work, batterylife is superb, it looks great, sounds great and it works seamlessly with my windows 8.1 desktop and office 365.
    It's a fine machine, and i love it.
    Dave Blake and iamtim like this.
    11-09-2013 01:17 PM
    One or two people have questioned my love of WP and my list of WP phones (see attached) in my first post I omitted my HTC advantage and HTC HD7 pro. I never throw away my old phones as most are running custom roms (my little hobby). Yes this was my first post on WPC, but the issues I raise are well documented here on WPC and other sites. What has my post achieved, open discussion! and maybe MS are reading our posts.
    In the past I have always proudly promoted my latest WP phone against the IOS and android phones my friends have. My phones are not full of apps, I have what I need, a good news and sport app, cross OS msg apps (whatsapp and FB) Yet I still have to re-install or soft boot WP8 to get these tiles and notifications to work.
    I’m not giving up on WP; I have been onboard since day one and firmly believe that one day it will be the OS that other manufactures’ aspire too! WP7 was innovating; WP8 seems to have lost its way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	49218
    What device are you using now and have you put a custom ROM on it? Posting a blanket statement like WP8 has lost its way is unfair. We can't comment to your issues if you can't qualify your comment. What makes you feel that WP8 has list its way?
    Jazmac likes this.
    11-09-2013 01:19 PM
    My current phone is a 920. I am one of the unlucky majority who suffer battery drain and notification issues. In addition to this I have had the problems this week with accounts not connecting. Let's just say I'm a frustrated WP fan. (Silent Majority) Phone is running GRD3.
    11-09-2013 01:40 PM
    My current phone is a 920. I am one of the unlucky majority who suffer battery drain and notification issues. In addition to this I have had the problems this week with accounts not connecting. Let's just say I'm a frustrated WP fan. (Silent Majority) Phone is running GRD3.
    Hmm... That sucks man I hate that these defective devices exist out in the wild. I had a 920 for almost a year. I went through three devices because of the dust under the glass on the FFC. I cant say I experienced any of the other know issues. They are known issues two many people complaining for it to be software related only. What is the issue here really the hardware, software, maybe the AT&T radio? I don't know but I can tell you I never experienced those issues with my 920. I can also tell you that the 1020 and 925 are solid with GDR3 loaded on them. I am a developer and have both my Lumia's updated.

I guess to what you are saying here, in your situation I wouldn't recommend the L920 not with the experiences you have had. Hopefully you will stick with WP and get you a device of the next generation like the 1020 or 1520.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-09-2013 01:53 PM
    same here! The more awful news I here about Ms and what Ms wants to do makes me feel less and less confident about Ms and the future of wp8! Who is wp8 next to Xbox? No one . So if they want get rid of Xbox who's to say wp8 isn't next ! I have a year left on my contract. many ask if WP is the better option i say ...i don't know! To many uncertainty
    11-09-2013 02:12 PM
    If anyone was looking for top apps/games,then NO,otherwise if they wanted a good OS that doesn't crash ,then definitely YES.Coz I really love my windows phone 8 (Nokia Lumia 620)
    11-09-2013 02:21 PM
    it would seem to be your experience too:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...time-bugs.html
    Allow me to quote from that link: "Yes. I had a live tile problem for about as long as I've owned my Lumia 920. My live tiles are working again."
    I never said technology isn't without its challenges. Doesn't matter the OS or platform as I've used them all extensively. Doesn't mean I toss out the baby with the bathwater. Nor does it mean I won't recommend WP8 to my friends. I will and I do. But did you answer my question or just root the forum for excuses not to answer?
    11-09-2013 02:27 PM
76 1234