Contemplating to Switch to WindowsPhone from Android

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Pocket File Manager will allow you to work with most cloud storage including Box, Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive, etc.

NextGen Reader works well with Feedly, so does Phonly.

Oh my.. thanks for this post. Especially that app, Pocket File Manager. Now things are getting clearer :wink:
I was simply responding to someone who seemed to me to be hesitant about jumping to another OS and responded from my perspective as a someone who recently bought a WP and how I feel about it two weeks on. .

Hesitant, I am not! I have used various devices running Microsoft's OSes before. I have sat on the idea of switching to Windows Phone since Lumia 1020 was launched. Great devices are getting out on WP platform now that I think I am getting comfortable to switch...

there is a strong argument to stick with android if you are deeply entrenched in it, simply if for no other reason than the amount of money you may have spent on apps and games, however if the OP is considering a OS switch than it should be noted that there is going to be a learning curve regardless of OS he/she switch's too, your example of turning on/off data indicates your lack of understanding of the OS and how to use it, which is normal if you just switched, ( your sign up date for WPC is today ) i wonder just how long you have had your phone and what effort you have made to learn how to use it, you might want to try all the resources available to you and ask more questions here in the forums to get a better feel for your device before you make blanket statements to someone else about something you clearly dont understand, these forums are a great place to learn about your phone, and us old timers generally love to help the new comers, in short, relax, take a breath, ASK SOME QUESTIONS, or else someone is going to call you out for the troll you make yourself SOUND like

Some people... well some people... :smile:
I didn't get to read all of the posts in this thread, but there is an app made by Microsoft that shows which of your Android apps are on windows phone, or have equivalent versions. It also backups your videos and pictures to skydrive. Only reason it has awful reviews is because Android fans hate it. :p

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.switchtowp8&hl=en

App is a waste of my precious time. Shouldn't have made it to the Google Play store

As N_LaRUE indicates you seem to be embedded in Android.

... I would suggest stick to Android :smile:.

Cheers.

Since you're using Google services, i think its best you stick with Android. WP is something different.

Having Android doesn't mean I cant use other OSes. I have at the same time used iOS with Google Services and there haven't been any problem. It doesn't mean I should switch to Apple services if I use iOS. Does it?

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Only reason it has awful reviews is because Android fans hate it. :p[/URL]

Did you ever use it? It earned its awful reviews, believe me! But on second thought it could be a boon for WP because it proves what kind of garbage can get into the Play Store. :winktongue:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone. (when you pull the trigger) I think that if you just come over, you'll love it here and you won't miss much of android except for maybe Swype. Which isn't here yet. But it'll take a minute to get your legs under you but trust me you will just like I did when I got off android a couple years ago. I have no plans to leave Windows Phone. The experience is just too exciting.

Let me ask, what Windows Phone did you have your eye on? What was it that moved you to come here to post this question?

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone. (when you pull the trigger) I think that if you just come over, you'll love it here and you won't miss much of android except for maybe Swype. Which isn't here yet. But it'll take a minute to get your legs under you but trust me you will just like I did when I got off android a couple years ago. I have no plans to leave Windows Phone. The experience is just too exciting.

I use SwiftKey on Android on a daily - life saver! I have read that the keyboard on Windows Phone works pretty well too.

Let me ask, what Windows Phone did you have your eye on? What was it that moved you to come here to post this question?
I am presently thinking to buy Lumia 1520 since I like them big - hahaha LOL. On a serious note, Nokia Lumias are pretty, well designed and build quality is great. What made me post this question is the fact that there is a 6" device on Windows Phone and I am getting tired of the Android OS in so many various ways :smile: All the Android devices out there do not have such hardware design/quality that I can say makes me jump to the roof! I wanted to keep my N9 so badly when I got it but when Elop came in, I thought it's pointless to keep it; then the N9's design became what is Lumia today.

I am also thinking I need to just have a phone that do all that I want and do not need to keep messing about with it. I did that already for several years with PCs and other Android devices. Time to start giving time to other things than... you know :wink:

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
As N_LaRUE indicates you seem to be embedded in Android.

I recently bought a WP (Nokia 625) after my HTC One X died. Honestly, I only bought the WP because it was on sale and decided to try it out. I cannot highlight enough how much I regret spending money on WP. I find it even dumber and less useful than iPhone. For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings.

You probably have good reasons to consider changing. But as someone who made the mistake :crying: of buying a WP just because it was on sale, I would suggest stick to Android :smile:.

Cheers.

My favorite apps for that and which I put on tile is "Easy Connect". One click and it shows and allow setting on:
1. Wifi. Also show "on" or "off" status with no further tap needed.
2 Data. Ditto
3. Location (GPS receiver). Ditto. Some other apps I tried didn't have Location.
4. Buetooth
5. Airplane

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have not used Box so I cannot comment on what exactly is it that you find missing in SkyDrive. As with Windows phone, storing and sharing files is much easier in my opinion. As for Google, there is third party app for Google drive.
Secondly if you are looking to share files over mail, G-mail can be easily configured, and you can access and share files on Google drive. I have not really used box simply because I never had a need to use anything other than SkyDrive or Google drive on my Lumia.
Maybe if you can highlight, what exactly you fear will not be there on Windows Phone, we can help you out with that.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
In the respect of toggles and settings, it's not like Android at all, more like iPhone. You can literally turn off WiFi and other things with one click in Android. No 3rd party app will let you do it in WP, unless you first close the app you're in, go to the start screen, locate the app, open the app, and flip the switch. In android, the same thing would be flick open the system tray, and flip the switch.

For WiFi etc it's not a big issue, but the rotation lock absolutely would benefit from this.

There's just no way around that Android is better IN THIS ASPECT than WP. I hope WP8.1 fixes this.

I just switched this week from Android to Windows Phone. My droid was an ATT HTC ONE and I switched to an ATT Nokia 925. I really liking Windows Phone A LOT. I'm actually surprised about how much I like it b/c I've heard nothing but horrible things about it. I believe it was a matter of time since I enjoy building gaming PC's. Have a beastly Win7 desktop, Win8 desktop, Win8 laptop, and a Surface2.

The only odd thing I've noticed about Windows Phone is that even if you have the ringer on mute. Notification sounds like from KIK messenger still come through.

Also are there any benefits/integration that can be done with Windows 8 PC's and Windows Phone 8?

Morado

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
My favorite apps for that and which I put on tile is "Easy Connect". One click and it shows and allow setting on:
1. Wifi. Also show "on" or "off" status with no further tap needed.
2 Data. Ditto
3. Location (GPS receiver). Ditto. Some other apps I tried didn't have Location.
4. Buetooth
5. Airplane

This very useful indeed. Thank you.

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Although I don't use Android as my daily driver, I am heavily invested in the Google ecosystem; I have been a Google Apps for Business user for over 5 years. I use Gmail and Google Calendar daily. I picked up a TMO 925 because I had also started using Office 365. Although I am still experimenting with ecosystems, I've found that MetroMail and Super Calendar 8 work rather well with Google services.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
i have wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, and location tiles on the top of my start screen.. two clicks to turn it on/off. u may have to check out a few more apps before making this claim. i even have these tiles with custom backgrounds. looks really cool. try it out. use skinery tiles to choose cuastom backgrounds. cheers.

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Although I don't use Android as my daily driver, I am heavily invested in the Google ecosystem; I have been a Google Apps for Business user for over 5 years. I use Gmail and Google Calendar daily. I picked up a TMO 925 because I had also started using Office 365. Although I am still experimenting with ecosystems, I've found that MetroMail and Super Calendar 8 work rather well with Google services.

Thanks for this input. I have gone to play with 1520 and the whole UI seems so strange and maybe scattered to me. Thinking to get 625 and live with it for 1-2 months to see how it is before I cough up for 1520 and finally switch. I am also seriously wondering possibility of future upgrades from Microsoft to recent Windows Phone 8 devices

Last edited:

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Use the "Toggle" app in the windows store if you want to quickly turn on/off data, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.
Also I recently switched from S3 to L520, and I could say it is a very satisfying experience. Not much problems, simple UI (love the tiles) and great battery life (replaced my iPod touch easily).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Guys, you can stop suggesting shortcut apps. I've tried all of the ones suggested in this thread, and they all work the same, and require a minimum of 3 screen changes to toggle a setting (-> start screen -> app -> toggle screen). The simple fact is that this aspect of WP8 sucks compared to Android and iOS. It's not an important part of the OS to me, but a very annoying one.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Guys, you can stop suggesting shortcut apps. I've tried all of the ones suggested in this thread, and they all work the same, and require a minimum of 3 screen changes to toggle a setting (-> start screen -> app -> toggle screen). The simple fact is that this aspect of WP8 sucks compared to Android and iOS. It's not an important part of the OS to me, but a very annoying one.

You're technically correct, but the shortcut apps sure beat the alternative!

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Even in android, you will need 2 steps, pull down notiifcation bar(or in IOS, drag up screen to bring up quick notification shortcut) and toggle to enable/disable wifi/bluetooth. The biggest advantage is,this can be done without having to exit the app(or atleast when you're in messaging, Whatsapp, etc)) , whereas in WP , you will have to go back to the main screen and look for the shortcut tile. Not a biggie, but still an annoying one.

This is something I did at the beginning in Nokia showroom before I contemplated buying a first WP :). The salesperson just showed my a quick access toggle(title in homescreen) do this and it was good enough for me. WP is so lagfree :)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Even in android, you will need 2 steps, pull down notiifcation bar(or in IOS, drag up screen to bring up quick notification shortcut) and toggle to enable/disable wifi/bluetooth. The biggest advantage is,this can be done without having to exit the app(or atleast when you're in messaging, Whatsapp, etc)) , whereas in WP , you will have to go back to the main screen and look for the shortcut tile. Not a biggie, but still an annoying one.
Correct. Which is why I mentioned screen changes and not clicks. I don't mind a few clicks, but I do mind having to leave the app to do it.

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok I have finally bought a Lumia 1020 and enjoying some part of WindowsPhone OS and really finding it hard to cope with others. How come users cant make new photo folders in the albums to re-arrange photos?

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Another thing: Why cant I just click on a contact from the live tiles on the home screen to dial or view contract? Also cant click on a shared video/photo from let's say... @WhatsApp and send it anywhere e.g YouTube, email. Or am I doing something wrong here?

How can I get WhatsApp to stop broadcasting messages on the top of the screen. It is OK to hear the notification sound but I dont need the whole text on the top of the screen each time. Also dont want Message from Bill Gate... when I pull down the notification center. Anyone there to help?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99