Dell Technologies Cyber Savings Event - Up to 45% off

05-13-2014 09:01 PM
64 123
tools
    i have wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, and location tiles on the top of my start screen.. two clicks to turn it on/off. u may have to check out a few more apps before making this claim. i even have these tiles with custom backgrounds. looks really cool. try it out. use skinery tiles to choose cuastom backgrounds. cheers.
    12-10-2013 01:01 AM
    Although I don't use Android as my daily driver, I am heavily invested in the Google ecosystem; I have been a Google Apps for Business user for over 5 years. I use Gmail and Google Calendar daily. I picked up a TMO 925 because I had also started using Office 365. Although I am still experimenting with ecosystems, I've found that MetroMail and Super Calendar 8 work rather well with Google services.
    Thanks for this input. I have gone to play with 1520 and the whole UI seems so strange and maybe scattered to me. Thinking to get 625 and live with it for 1-2 months to see how it is before I cough up for 1520 and finally switch. I am also seriously wondering possibility of future upgrades from Microsoft to recent Windows Phone 8 devices
    Last edited by daikku; 12-10-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    12-10-2013 07:56 PM
    Use the "Toggle" app in the windows store if you want to quickly turn on/off data, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.
    Also I recently switched from S3 to L520, and I could say it is a very satisfying experience. Not much problems, simple UI (love the tiles) and great battery life (replaced my iPod touch easily).
    12-11-2013 04:12 AM
    Guys, you can stop suggesting shortcut apps. I've tried all of the ones suggested in this thread, and they all work the same, and require a minimum of 3 screen changes to toggle a setting (-> start screen -> app -> toggle screen). The simple fact is that this aspect of WP8 sucks compared to Android and iOS. It's not an important part of the OS to me, but a very annoying one.
    12-11-2013 10:25 AM
    Guys, you can stop suggesting shortcut apps. I've tried all of the ones suggested in this thread, and they all work the same, and require a minimum of 3 screen changes to toggle a setting (-> start screen -> app -> toggle screen). The simple fact is that this aspect of WP8 sucks compared to Android and iOS. It's not an important part of the OS to me, but a very annoying one.
    You're technically correct, but the shortcut apps sure beat the alternative!
    MikeSo likes this.
    12-11-2013 11:19 AM
    Even in android, you will need 2 steps, pull down notiifcation bar(or in IOS, drag up screen to bring up quick notification shortcut) and toggle to enable/disable wifi/bluetooth. The biggest advantage is,this can be done without having to exit the app(or atleast when you're in messaging, Whatsapp, etc)) , whereas in WP , you will have to go back to the main screen and look for the shortcut tile. Not a biggie, but still an annoying one.

This is something I did at the beginning in Nokia showroom before I contemplated buying a first WP :). The salesperson just showed my a quick access toggle(title in homescreen) do this and it was good enough for me. WP is so lagfree :)
    12-11-2013 01:29 PM
    Even in android, you will need 2 steps, pull down notiifcation bar(or in IOS, drag up screen to bring up quick notification shortcut) and toggle to enable/disable wifi/bluetooth. The biggest advantage is,this can be done without having to exit the app(or atleast when you're in messaging, Whatsapp, etc)) , whereas in WP , you will have to go back to the main screen and look for the shortcut tile. Not a biggie, but still an annoying one.
    Correct. Which is why I mentioned screen changes and not clicks. I don't mind a few clicks, but I do mind having to leave the app to do it.
    12-11-2013 02:39 PM
    Ok I have finally bought a Lumia 1020 and enjoying some part of WindowsPhone OS and really finding it hard to cope with others. How come users cant make new photo folders in the albums to re-arrange photos?
    05-10-2014 02:45 PM
    Another thing: Why cant I just click on a contact from the live tiles on the home screen to dial or view contract? Also cant click on a shared video/photo from let's say... @WhatsApp and send it anywhere e.g YouTube, email. Or am I doing something wrong here?

How can I get WhatsApp to stop broadcasting messages on the top of the screen. It is OK to hear the notification sound but I dont need the whole text on the top of the screen each time. Also dont want Message from Bill Gate... when I pull down the notification center. Anyone there to help?
    Last edited by daikku; 05-10-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    05-10-2014 02:52 PM
    Do it bro!
    05-10-2014 02:55 PM
    Now, do what?
    Do it bro!
    05-10-2014 02:57 PM
    i do not use an launcher just in apps folder have a folder for gps-wi fi- mobile data, etc
    05-13-2014 08:51 PM
    WP8.1 has quick toggles for many of those things (notification center). Just wait for it, should be out in a month or so...
    05-13-2014 09:00 PM
    can not do photo folders in the card but if plug in the computer can do it and probably the file manager can do it too never tried that, but download the nokia storyteller app this app classify by location data and time the pictures taken,is hard to get into a new phone when you were used to android but once you learn just do not want to switch, in windows phone is not exactly the same applications than in android but is similars ones which does the same work, also just wait a bit when windows phone 8.1 arrives will be a big thing i tried the developer version and was great, already being a beta OS works reasonable well but the new things are a new notification center, can select the background tasks while are in batery saver on and a own file manager which is great considering that android do not have their own one and have to get an file manager from others which sometimes are hard to get to work. just also google will not do any application for windows phone since by market segment and market deep can loose many android users by switching to ie an Nokia 520 from a LG L5 II or a Samsung Galaxy fame.

best regards

Francisco
    05-13-2014 09:01 PM
64 123