05-13-2014 09:01 PM
64 123
tools
    Hi there! Please if this is wrong forum, kindly move it to right place. Sorry if I get someone mad

I have been thinking now for the past few months to switch to Windows Phone from Android. The last Microsoft device I used was HTC HD2 aka HTC Leo T8585. I have used several Windows Mobile phones before this and I know many things have changed since Windows Mobile 6.5 professional and I would need some hints so that this move can be smooth / even if it is worth it.

First, I would like to know if there is a site to check if my Android apps (needed daily) I run at the moment or similar can be found on Windows Phone? If there's, could that page be shared. Could make things easier. Secondly, how does Windows Phone handle Google Products? Email, Calendar, Voice, HangOut e.t.c? Does Windows Phone support multiple Google calendars? [Is it even to use multiple calendars with Outlook.com and have them on Windows Phone - I could get my calendars from Google to Outlook and move on from there]. Handling of GMail smooth? Any application for Google Voice, HangOut? I read from somewhere that BBM is coming to Windows Phone. How true is this?

Many more questions but maybe I pause here before I get too much in one post
    12-04-2013 02:01 AM
    tell us some apps you use on your daily android phone. There are many 3rd party applications on stores that serves the same google apps experience like metrotube is great for YouTube.you can use outlook instead of Gmail or use both it handles Gmail perfectly(for me ). cant say about bbm , whatsapp is enough for me ;)
    12-04-2013 02:55 AM
    Here ya go!
    1. AwardWallet - used to keep track of the loyalty programs you participate in, such as your frequent flyer miles, hotel and credit card points.
    2. BBM
    3. Any.do
    4. HangOut
    5. Business Calendar
    6. Google Authenticator - I need this for 2-step authentication I have on various sites.
    7. Calendar Snooze - to snooze calendar reminders when they pop up
    8. CheckMyTrip
    9. GoogleVoice - Pain Google will shut this down on WP
    10. Google Play Music
    11. Box - Skydrive comes with about 7GB. I have 50GB on box and that is like my main cloud storage due to space. Also a sizeable amount of my issues are on Dropbox so an app to manage various cloud services is a plus
    12. ES File Explorer - Need to access files from cloud services. I have 50GB on box and that is like my main cloud storage due to space. Also a sizeable amount of my issues are on Dropbox so an app to manage various cloud services is a plus
    13. Tapatalk
    14. FlightTrack
    15. gReader Pro
    16. GroundWire - is a Business SIP Client that allows usage of varios SIP accounts at the same time to make and receive calls over VoIP.
    17. IM+ Pro
    18. GrooveIP - Not important if I can have something similar to GroundWire
    19. Pocket - This is actually used to safely store all your sensitive data such as bank account details and passwords on your phone. Pocket is also useful for remembering all those bits and pieces of information in one place from frequent flier numbers to contact lens prescriptions AND NOT THE POCKET APP FOR SAVING WEBPAGES
    20. The Football App
    21. Trello
    22. Vu+ Player - app used to control and view satellite channels via Vu+ receiver anywhere in the world I am. I can fully control and watch my dish and satellite receiver with this app
    23. VoiceChoice - Makes it possible for me to route calls via separate channels. lol
    24. WorldMate or TripIt
    25. YNAB - MINT ISNT SUPPORTED OVER HERE IN EUROPE
    26. TVGuiden - TV GUIDE APP to check what's happening on TV in this part of the world & also set reminders
    Last edited by daikku; 12-04-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    12-04-2013 11:38 AM
    Here ya go!
    1. AwardWallet
    2. BBM
    3. Any.do - If I remember this is a To-Do list app, Windows Phone has a To-Do list built into the Calendar
    4. HangOut
    5. Business Calendar
    6. Google Authenticator
    7. Calendar Snooze
    8. CheckMyTrip - Already on Windows Phone
    9. GoogleVoice - Third party clients are available but they will be shut down by Google soon
    10. Google Play Music
    11. Box - Windows Phone has Skydrive built in and has a Skydrive app available, not sure about others though
    12. ES File Explorer - Need to access files from cloud services - Windows Phone has Skydrive built in and has a Skydrive app available, not sure about others though
    13. Tapatalk - Already on Windows Phone
    14. FlightTrack - Already on Windows Phone
    15. gReader Pro
    16. GroundWire
    17. IM+ Pro - Already on Windows Phone
    18. GrooveIP
    19. Pocket - On Windows Phone through a third party app called Pouch
    20. The Football App - Already on Windows Phone (I use a combination of this and Goal Live Scores)
    21. Trello
    22. Vu+ Player
    23. VoiceChoice
    24. WorldMate or TripIt - Both are on Windows Phone already
    25. YNAB
    26. TVGuiden

Sorry for just copying your list but I've added comments about which ones are on Windows Phone already, some are third party clients and some are official ones. The best thing to do is have a look on windowsphone.com at the Apps+Games section to see if the apps I haven't mentioned anything about are on there.
    anon(7900571) and DBZo07 like this.
    12-04-2013 12:18 PM
    for google play music you can try nokia mix radio.
    12-04-2013 12:58 PM
    for google play music you can try nokia mix radio.
    I think Xbox Music would be the more appropriate service that would replace it.
    anon(7900571) likes this.
    12-04-2013 01:11 PM
    12-04-2013 01:13 PM
    Moliplayer, best player.. Its top of vlc player..

Sent from Tapatalk Lumia 625 GDR3
    12-04-2013 02:01 PM
    1. If AwardWallet is something for managing accounts, we have Mint
    2. BBM is said to be coming
    3. Any.do is RUMORED to be taking WP into consideration. But there are vast amounts of really great ToDo apps. I use Clear List.
    4. Nope.
    5. Simple Calendar would be a WP equivalent.
    6. You wouldn't need this on WP
    7. Features available in built-in Calendar and in Simple Calendar
    8. Yes, official app
    9. No. There is always Skype though. Plus Whatsapp, Viber.
    10. All major music players are on WP except Google Play Music. Great alternative are important players like Xbox Music and Nokia MixRadio.
    11. Yes, official app
    12. As said before, you have built-in Skydrive, available Box and other apps for cloud storage. Nothing that manages all of them from a single app though, as far as I know. (Also, MEGA is coming in early 2014)
    13. Yes, official app + 3rd party apps, just as good.
    14. Yes, official app
    15. There are TONS of awesome looking, fully featured feed/RSS apps. Not this one in particular though.
    16. ???
    17. Yes, official app
    18. This app in particular no, but as said before, various VoIP alternatives.
    19. Pouch, 3rd party app
    20. Yes, official app
    21. Microsoft Office OneNote seems to be the best equivalent. Built-in on WP.
    22. ???
    23. You surely like to be able to call from a ton of different apps, lol.
    24. Both, official apps.
    25. Mint, official app
    26. ???
    anon(7900571) likes this.
    12-04-2013 02:18 PM
    Well I have added more info on these applications in my earlier post. I appreciate all the replies so far but it is interesting that read-it-later app, Pocket is thought to be the Pocket app I listed despite the link I added to the app in question.

Yes Skydrive is ok but I would like to use Box with more functions and with all the space I have there, it is worth using

I am constantly checking windowsphone.com but it seems I cant get those apps or their alternative easily. Contemplating cotinues...
    12-04-2013 04:23 PM
    For Google Music if you use their streaming service for your stored music CloudMuzik and Gooroovster are good 3rd party apps
    MaxyBley likes this.
    12-04-2013 06:55 PM
    There's an app in the Google Play Store called "Switch to Windows Phone" that's supposed to give WP app equivalents based on what's currently installed on your Android device. Ratings indicate it's a really lame app, but it still might reveal something worthwhile for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Oris likes this.
    12-04-2013 07:12 PM
    There's an app in the Google Play Store called "Switch to Windows Phone" that's supposed to give WP app equivalents based on what's currently installed on your Android device. Ratings indicate it's a really lame app, but it still might reveal something worthwhile for you.
    I tried it; it is a really lame app. If someone judged Microsoft solely on this app they would deem Microsoft very incompetent. Don't put one bit of stock in this app; a thread like this is a much better method to get quality information.
    daikku likes this.
    12-04-2013 08:28 PM
    Box has a oficial app on wp, i use it, but limited :(
    12-04-2013 09:15 PM
    Op,
    Typo in tittle..
    Its Switch

12-04-2013 10:36 PM
    For Google Music if you use their streaming service for your stored music CloudMuzik and Gooroovster are good 3rd party apps
    Will have to check those out. Thanks

Oh my... Couldn't even install that app on my phone :-( Plus I read it is a bad app and doesn't being any reasonable results.
    Op,
    Typo in tittle..
    Its Switch

Hopefully you didn't get hurt by that typo... Thanks for pointing it out though :-D

Box has a oficial app on wp, i use it, but limited :(
    Wow! Another minus.... :-( There should be a file manager that works for these services like ES file Explorer app I mentioned earlier
    12-04-2013 11:56 PM
    Oh that hurts alot, to seo!!!
    Search Engines Optimization

12-05-2013 12:30 AM

What a pathetic app. I got the apk, installed & it did its thing. Then I need to save the list to the cloud but there is no way to see the list if I don't first get a Windows Phone to fetch that list from that cloud :-O Not even in the Skydrive. Really huh?

Please someone tell me I'm wrong....
    12-05-2013 12:59 AM
    Um there are a few Google Play (if that's the music app) alternatives in Windows Phone. I can't remember the names but if you type Google Music you'll find it
    12-05-2013 01:57 AM
    Cloudmuzik is the name
    12-05-2013 01:58 AM
    OP, you seem deeply entrenched in the 'Google' world.

My recommendation for anyone, especially those coming from Google, is to buy a low end WP, L520 for example, and see what you think. If everything you do is solely based on the apps you use then you will be disappointed by WP. WP is different. It works different, it's used differently. It's nothing like an Android or iPhone. A lot of users who come from Android and Symbian are not overly happy with WP.

You need to experience WP for yourself and see if it works for you. Going by apps alone is no way to determine if WP is right for you.

There will never be a file explorer similar to the one on Android, if one does comes it will be severely limited due to MS thoughts on security.

Last thing to keep in mind. Regardless of WP7, WP8 is a new OS (a year old). I expect WP8.1 to be a major shift when it comes out. So WP8 has some teething problems.
    Pete and cckgz4 like this.
    12-05-2013 03:17 AM
    As N_LaRUE indicates you seem to be embedded in Android.

I recently bought a WP (Nokia 625) after my HTC One X died. Honestly, I only bought the WP because it was on sale and decided to try it out. I cannot highlight enough how much I regret spending money on WP. I find it even dumber and less useful than iPhone. For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings.

You probably have good reasons to consider changing. But as someone who made the mistake of buying a WP just because it was on sale, I would suggest stick to Android .

Cheers.
    12-05-2013 05:01 AM
    For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings.
    There's an app for that.... *coughs*
    12-05-2013 05:25 AM
    Pocket File Manager will allow you to work with most cloud storage including Box, Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive, etc.

NextGen Reader works well with Feedly, so does Phonly.
    12-05-2013 05:53 AM
    As N_LaRUE indicates you seem to be embedded in Android.

I recently bought a WP (Nokia 625) after my HTC One X died. Honestly, I only bought the WP because it was on sale and decided to try it out. I cannot highlight enough how much I regret spending money on WP. I find it even dumber and less useful than iPhone. For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings.

You probably have good reasons to consider changing. But as someone who made the mistake of buying a WP just because it was on sale, I would suggest stick to Android .

Cheers.
    there is a strong argument to stick with android if you are deeply entrenched in it, simply if for no other reason than the amount of money you may have spent on apps and games, however if the OP is considering a OS switch than it should be noted that there is going to be a learning curve regardless of OS he/she switch's too, your example of turning on/off data indicates your lack of understanding of the OS and how to use it, which is normal if you just switched, ( your sign up date for WPC is today ) i wonder just how long you have had your phone and what effort you have made to learn how to use it, you might want to try all the resources available to you and ask more questions here in the forums to get a better feel for your device before you make blanket statements to someone else about something you clearly dont understand, these forums are a great place to learn about your phone, and us old timers generally love to help the new comers, in short, relax, take a breath, ASK SOME QUESTIONS, or else someone is going to call you out for the troll you make yourself SOUND like
    cckgz4 and MaxyBley like this.
    12-05-2013 06:23 AM
64 123