Contemplating to Switch to WindowsPhone from Android

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi there! Please if this is wrong forum, kindly move it to right place. Sorry if I get someone mad :wink:

I have been thinking now for the past few months to switch to Windows Phone from Android. The last Microsoft device I used was HTC HD2 aka HTC Leo T8585. I have used several Windows Mobile phones before this and I know many things have changed since Windows Mobile 6.5 professional and I would need some hints so that this move can be smooth / even if it is worth it.

First, I would like to know if there is a site to check if my Android apps (needed daily) I run at the moment or similar can be found on Windows Phone? If there's, could that page be shared. Could make things easier. Secondly, how does Windows Phone handle Google Products? Email, Calendar, Voice, HangOut e.t.c? Does Windows Phone support multiple Google calendars? [Is it even to use multiple calendars with Outlook.com and have them on Windows Phone - I could get my calendars from Google to Outlook and move on from there]. Handling of GMail smooth? Any application for Google Voice, HangOut? I read from somewhere that BBM is coming to Windows Phone. How true is this?

Many more questions but maybe I pause here before I get too much in one post :grin:

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
tell us some apps you use on your daily android phone. There are many 3rd party applications on stores that serves the same google apps experience like metrotube is great for YouTube.you can use outlook instead of Gmail or use both it handles Gmail perfectly(for me ). cant say about bbm , whatsapp is enough for me ;)

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Here ya go!
  1. AwardWallet - used to keep track of the loyalty programs you participate in, such as your frequent flyer miles, hotel and credit card points.
  2. BBM
  3. Any.do
  4. HangOut
  5. Business Calendar
  6. Google Authenticator - I need this for 2-step authentication I have on various sites.
  7. Calendar Snooze - to snooze calendar reminders when they pop up
  8. CheckMyTrip
  9. GoogleVoice - Pain Google will shut this down on WP
  10. Google Play Music
  11. Box - Skydrive comes with about 7GB. I have 50GB on box and that is like my main cloud storage due to space. Also a sizeable amount of my issues are on Dropbox so an app to manage various cloud services is a plus
  12. ES File Explorer - Need to access files from cloud services. I have 50GB on box and that is like my main cloud storage due to space. Also a sizeable amount of my issues are on Dropbox so an app to manage various cloud services is a plus
  13. Tapatalk
  14. FlightTrack
  15. gReader Pro
  16. GroundWire - is a Business SIP Client that allows usage of varios SIP accounts at the same time to make and receive calls over VoIP.
  17. IM+ Pro
  18. GrooveIP - Not important if I can have something similar to GroundWire
  19. Pocket - This is actually used to safely store all your sensitive data such as bank account details and passwords on your phone. Pocket is also useful for remembering all those bits and pieces of information in one place from frequent flier numbers to contact lens prescriptions AND NOT THE POCKET APP FOR SAVING WEBPAGES
  20. The Football App
  21. Trello
  22. Vu+ Player - app used to control and view satellite channels via Vu+ receiver anywhere in the world I am. I can fully control and watch my dish and satellite receiver with this app
  23. VoiceChoice - Makes it possible for me to route calls via separate channels. lol
  24. WorldMate or TripIt
  25. YNAB - MINT ISNT SUPPORTED OVER HERE IN EUROPE
  26. TVGuiden - TV GUIDE APP to check what's happening on TV in this part of the world & also set reminders

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Here ya go!
  1. AwardWallet
  2. BBM
  3. Any.do - If I remember this is a To-Do list app, Windows Phone has a To-Do list built into the Calendar
  4. HangOut
  5. Business Calendar
  6. Google Authenticator
  7. Calendar Snooze
  8. CheckMyTrip - Already on Windows Phone
  9. GoogleVoice - Third party clients are available but they will be shut down by Google soon
  10. Google Play Music
  11. Box - Windows Phone has Skydrive built in and has a Skydrive app available, not sure about others though
  12. ES File Explorer - Need to access files from cloud services - Windows Phone has Skydrive built in and has a Skydrive app available, not sure about others though
  13. Tapatalk - Already on Windows Phone
  14. FlightTrack - Already on Windows Phone
  15. gReader Pro
  16. GroundWire
  17. IM+ Pro - Already on Windows Phone
  18. GrooveIP
  19. Pocket - On Windows Phone through a third party app called Pouch
  20. The Football App - Already on Windows Phone (I use a combination of this and Goal Live Scores)
  21. Trello
  22. Vu+ Player
  23. VoiceChoice
  24. WorldMate or TripIt - Both are on Windows Phone already
  25. YNAB
  26. TVGuiden

Sorry for just copying your list but I've added comments about which ones are on Windows Phone already, some are third party clients and some are official ones. The best thing to do is have a look on windowsphone.com at the Apps+Games section to see if the apps I haven't mentioned anything about are on there.

Acryion

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
1. If AwardWallet is something for managing accounts, we have Mint
2. BBM is said to be coming
3. Any.do is RUMORED to be taking WP into consideration. But there are vast amounts of really great ToDo apps. I use Clear List.
4. Nope.
5. Simple Calendar would be a WP equivalent.
6. You wouldn't need this on WP
7. Features available in built-in Calendar and in Simple Calendar
8. Yes, official app
9. No. There is always Skype though. Plus Whatsapp, Viber.
10. All major music players are on WP except Google Play Music. Great alternative are important players like Xbox Music and Nokia MixRadio.
11. Yes, official app
12. As said before, you have built-in Skydrive, available Box and other apps for cloud storage. Nothing that manages all of them from a single app though, as far as I know. (Also, MEGA is coming in early 2014)
13. Yes, official app + 3rd party apps, just as good.
14. Yes, official app
15. There are TONS of awesome looking, fully featured feed/RSS apps. Not this one in particular though.
16. ???
17. Yes, official app
18. This app in particular no, but as said before, various VoIP alternatives.
19. Pouch, 3rd party app
20. Yes, official app
21. Microsoft Office OneNote seems to be the best equivalent. Built-in on WP.
22. ???
23. You surely like to be able to call from a ton of different apps, lol.
24. Both, official apps.
25. Mint, official app
26. ???

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I have added more info on these applications in my earlier post. I appreciate all the replies so far but it is interesting that read-it-later app, Pocket is thought to be the Pocket app I listed despite the link I added to the app in question.

Yes Skydrive is ok but I would like to use Box with more functions and with all the space I have there, it is worth using :smile:

I am constantly checking windowsphone.com but it seems I cant get those apps or their alternative easily. Contemplating cotinues...

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
There's an app in the Google Play Store called "Switch to Windows Phone" that's supposed to give WP app equivalents based on what's currently installed on your Android device. Ratings indicate it's a really lame app, but it still might reveal something worthwhile for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There's an app in the Google Play Store called "Switch to Windows Phone" that's supposed to give WP app equivalents based on what's currently installed on your Android device. Ratings indicate it's a really lame app, but it still might reveal something worthwhile for you.

I tried it; it is a really lame app. If someone judged Microsoft solely on this app they would deem Microsoft very incompetent. Don't put one bit of stock in this app; a thread like this is a much better method to get quality information.

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
For Google Music if you use their streaming service for your stored music CloudMuzik and Gooroovster are good 3rd party apps

Will have to check those out. Thanks

Oh my... Couldn't even install that app on my phone :-( Plus I read it is a bad app and doesn't being any reasonable results.
Op,
Typo in tittle..
Its Switch

Sent from Tapatalk Lumia 625 GDR3

Hopefully you didn't get hurt by that typo... Thanks for pointing it out though :-D

Box has a oficial app on wp, i use it, but limited :(

Wow! Another minus.... :-( There should be a file manager that works for these services like ES file Explorer app I mentioned earlier

daikku

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

What a pathetic app. I got the apk, installed & it did its thing. Then I need to save the list to the cloud but there is no way to see the list if I don't first get a Windows Phone to fetch that list from that cloud :-O Not even in the Skydrive. Really huh?

Please someone tell me I'm wrong....

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Um there are a few Google Play (if that's the music app) alternatives in Windows Phone. I can't remember the names but if you type Google Music you'll find it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss