Youtube Issues with Lumia/Windows Phone..I'm .Hating Google more

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am well aware of the Google vs Microsoft drama and what not and for the most part, I was not too affected by the mess as I don't really use Gmail(except one account and I set it up as exchange/outlook on my WP so Gmail is pushed to my phone near instantly now) and I don't use any of their other crap services

Except Youtube.

I've been using Metrotube since I jumped on the Windows Phone train last year and I love the app(though i hate that it locks the phone in landscape when you play in HD). I love that videos Play under the lockscreen if i just want to hear music.

However for awhile now i have been having issues with Metrotube. The Videos will start playing and halfway through it'll just crash/stop playing telling me to go to youtube.com

So I tried to download another app, thinking perhaps it is Metrotube causing the issue...I downloaded Youtube HD and again i get the same error message. Videos half the time will not play through without crashing.

Which is when I discovered it probably isn't metrotube or Youtube HD apps that are causing issues..It is Google's crap.

Okay, cool....I was like whatever...Not much I can do. Either deal with Crashing or I'll just do it the Ghetto way and go through the Browser and watch videos on youtube.com

Except going to Youtube.com on my phone is tedious because OF COURSE google has ads and I am fine with that. Except when the ads finishing playing, the video doesn't actually start playing. It just goes back to the main youtube page.

I have to constantly keep refreshing the page 3 or more times so the ad will go away and the video will play instantly.

I honestly think it is pathetic what Google is doing. I don't even get mad at Microsoft for their "Scroogled" campaign simply because I really do feel screwed simply because of my choice of phone. You'd think that even with Microsoft's "Small" userbase of windows phone user, Google would want to do whatever they can do shove their services down our throat and force ads and all their usual BS on us. I guess I should feel special in a way, that Google doesn't deem us worthy enough of their services because at least my privacy is respected lol.

I have a Lumia 1520. I'd like to be able to ENJOY videos on my big screen and not have to worry about crashing or nonplaying videos. I don't even use youtube majorly but when I do, it is always an issue.

It is sad because unfortunately Youtube is Youtube and there is no viable alternative.

Are there any apps that you guys can recommend that perhaps may give me a better experience?

Sorry for the rant :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'll try m.youtube.com then I usually just go to youtube.com not the mobile version.

Edit: still having the issue with ads using the Mobile version. The ads don't bother me. I understand that they have to make cash that way i guess but i'd prefer if the video started AFTER the ad plays instead of just closing the video out at the end

Edit 2: Never mind, i got it working :D Seems to be doing better now!
I don't have any ads when i play videos on m.youtube.com

Last edited:

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have gone as far as blocking youtube at home.

My kids watched ridiculous videos of people (yes, grown-ups) singing Minecraft songs (my diamond sword sword???) and more crap.... My children are intelligent and I'd like to keep them that way, youtube is contributing to an already braindead generation and it needs to stop.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll try m.youtube.com then I usually just go to youtube.com not the mobile version.

Maybe those ads have something to do with where you're from. I always read comments under videos like "stupid VEVO and it's commercials, I HATE VEVO" and other stuff, while i never see those ads ever. I'm from Serbia btw.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL I don't blame youtube for that :) Anymore than I blame violence in games or Sex on tv for pushing kids into things :D
Kids need balance of the "brain dead" things as well as more intelligent activities :p

Unfortunately, blocking Youtube for me is not feasible since i am 18 :p And i do like to watch music videos for various Kpop artists i like and movie trailers.

I have gone as far as blocking youtube at home.

My kids watched ridiculous videos of people (yes, grown-ups) singing Minecraft songs (my diamond sword sword???) and more crap.... My children are intelligent and I'd like to keep them that way, youtube is contributing to an already braindead generation and it needs to stop.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, Youtube is enabling a bunch of policies that I've seen multiple content creators freak out over, even saying they may take their business elsewhere, so... Maybe Youtube won't be such a big deal in the future.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What really needs to happen is for a good alternative to come up. Not being one to sit in front of internet videos, Vimeo is the only one that comes to mind... People need to start publishing their content to alternatives like Vimeo and others, if Google is ever to be toppled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes