HERE Maps Vs Google Maps Vs Apple Maps (Voice Turn-by-turn)

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
This is what i mean ohgood, i dunno if your using your phone for nokia maps or its not updated, but nokia maps came up with the exact correct location, google maps has an address 20 miles from where it should be, you need to look closer at the link i sent you after you click it look at the top of the screen in the search bar, that is the address i'm looking for then down to the left is the address its giving? nokia maps corrects it to a columbus, ohio address instead of gahanna, i'm not sure if its columbus or gahanna cause its on the border but it tells me where the house is which is what i need dont care if its called columbus or gahanna, but google came up with powell? And no there is no golf course.

edit------wp_ss_20140120_0001.jpg

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
the only reason i use google is it is attached to my work computer with addresses already in it, so its one click away, but whats frustrating is that several times a month and depends on the area sometimes a week i get these addresses that are completely wrong or dont come up and they been there over 2 years so i need to pull out my phone, if i didnt have it on my phone id need to be calling around trying to find it, i get them all the time with google and of course sometimes nokia doesnt have it either if its really new, but if you check around other websites google maps is widely known as the best and its a common theme among anroid and even apple use they think there is nothing better than google for accuracy and otherwise, and they couldnt be more wrong, they are remembering when google used navteq which isnt the case anymore and it USED to be the best. I have other occasions of addresses not coming up but i dont look them up on either cause i work in the area so often i know exactly where it is so i dont even use maps 40% of the time anymore cause ive worked here so long.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
NOKIA DRIVE + works great turn by turn. I haven't missed my route yet. :)

I was a long time Android user and was always very happy with their maps/navigation system. I absolutely LOVED the voice turn by turn with Google. I recently (five months ago) got the iPhone 5 and it's Maps with voice turn by turn is equally as brilliant....albeit Apple had a rough start when their Maps first came out....it's now tip-top.

The point of this post is that I'm about a week away from selling my iPhone 5....driving to the Orlando Microsoft Store, and buying the Nokia Lumia 1520. I was wondering if HERE Maps had a good voice turn by turn navigation system like Google and Apple does....if not HERE Maps, perhaps another Maps app? I am moving to the DC metro area in just over a month and I would very much like my 1520 to be equally a life saver as my iPhone 5 and Galaxy Nexus once were.

I have been doing a LOT of research on this OS switch.....and I am both excited and nervous. I'm pretty set up app-wise....99% of my must have apps are in the Windows app store....but Maps and a GOOD "voice" turn by turn navigation worries me. Plus I do hope this "Cortana" comes to pass......not that Siri is the end all be all of my iPhone, I hardly use her/it....but it would be sweet to have.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok so TomTom bought them in the last few years, but this says the exact opposite of what you said earlier you said google licensed from navteq which they don't, and navteq is a lot more accurate than Tele atlas especially in the united states where google is based.

I never said Google only licensed from NavTeq. In fact, back when NavTeq was still independent, Google licensed from both. When it comes turn by turn Navigation, I have never seen anything based on Google license (other than Google's own Apps). 3rd party Nav products are almost always licensed from either of the two giants.

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I just used HERE Drive + for my trip to Orlando...and it kept throwing me off course...I know enough to drive west on 528 for a least 45 minutes, but it kept telling me to get off 528. I realized that Drive + was giving me directions for TOLL free routes. I unchecked TOLL free routes, and it then directed me to the exact location I needed...TOLL route and all. I like the map detail, looks great on my 1520. I like the voice of the turn-by-turn dude...albeit, I think Google has more "upcoming turn" notifications (too many upcoming notifications can annoy some, but I thought it fine.). Easy to turn off as well.

Over all it's exactly what I wanted. However, I feel the real test is going to be when I move to DC in thirty days. I'm sure DC and the Metro area, are slightly more complex then the Orlando and the surrounding area...lol.

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I use both HERE DRIVE+ (which is Nokias' GPS navigation App) and the NAVIGON USA App. They both use the NAVTEQ maps (owned by Nokia and used by many car manufacturers). Both speak the directions, turn by turn, as you drive. I don't think the basic HERE MAPS speaks the turn by turn directions? Both use their maps "offline" stored on your phone so they work when there isn't any internet service. The maps can be moved to a SD card if you have one. Both Apps are very good, but I do prefer Navigon. Navigon is a paid App and in my opinion, it is worth every bit of its full price. It goes on sale, occasionally. Navigon has great additional features such as lane change guidance, alternate routes, traffic avoidance, you can add intermediate stops along the way (find a gas station), it speaks the side of the street of the destination, it is integrated into Bing (just like HERE DRIVE+), and more...

Best Wishes, No worries.

Kevin, you have me intrigued with Navigon USA. I used TomTom on my iPhone 5, and it was the BEST looking app I've used on any OS. It's all very nice aesthetics-wise, but the topper is when getting off an exit, it shows you all the exits (Close Up)..and points you to the one you are to use. This looks just like TomTom!! ...and I loved it.

navigon00.png

Not that HERE + is not good, the features on Navigon USA look like those from TomTom...and was wondering if anyone else has used it...and is it really worth $29.99?

Can I store maps onto my SD card on Navigon USA? I believe you say you can in the above quote, but I read in the reviews, that you couldn't store them on your SD card. Pretty big factor to weigh in on for $29.99.

The photo below is all you get pretty much with HERE+ (maybe slightly more close up at a exit or turn), but it doesn't compare to the detail of the photo above (Navigon USA).

HERE+.png

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I havent used navigon but they are using navteq i believe so if you like the look that would be what you are paying for, but i believe nokia which catch up in the next couple years as far as features go. To 29.99 not worth it just for looks cause once you get used to the look of a certain one unless its actually missing information i think it works great. And as you mentioned less notifications this is one thing I LOVE about nokia because others i cant stand to even leav the volume on cause it never stops talking, nokia only talks when i need it to so i can still have a conversation in the car if i want. IMO. Plus i believe they will merge it further into windows and use bing services along side it to make the search better if they dont that would be dumb cause i thnk microsoft has all that licensing in that buy out deal so they have access to all of it.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Navteq or Tele Atlas vs Google Maps is the exact same argument as Encyclopedia Britannica vs Wikipedia. For those living in the dark ages, Google's map data is crowd sourced now (in most countries). I can go into Google mapmaker, add or edit a road, and it will publish live within a few minutes. Same with POI data. There's no way other providers will be able to compete, just due to the sheer number of people that Google now has involved in the editing process.

-E

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Yet the address I just posted is completely wrong on google and completely right on navteq..... Ps other people use the same type of system as google maps and some do it better and that info needs filters as some of it is wrong.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Kevin, you have me intrigued with Navigon USA. I used TomTom on my iPhone 5, and it was the BEST looking app I've used on any OS. It's all very nice aesthetics-wise, but the topper is when getting off an exit, it shows you all the exits (Close Up)..and points you to the one you are to use. This looks just like TomTom!! ...and I loved it.

View attachment 54995

Not that HERE + is not good, the features on Navigon USA look like those from TomTom...and was wondering if anyone else has used it...and is it really worth $29.99?

Can I store maps onto my SD card on Navigon USA? I believe you say you can in the above quote, but I read in the reviews, that you couldn't store them on your SD card. Pretty big factor to weigh in on for $29.99.

The photo below is all you get pretty much with HERE+ (maybe slightly more close up at a exit or turn), but it doesn't compare to the detail of the photo above (Navigon USA).

View attachment 54997

navigon was the most expensive navigation application I ever tried. the ui was lacking, and logical controls/actions were not part of the experience. for another platform review, here's what the users of android thought if it. notice just how few people have downloaded it:

ga2apaqu.jpg

now, download isn't the only metric of quality, but when I look at paid applications, it gives me an idea how much development and life span I can expect to continue for an application, platform, or interest from the having community.

compare that to

oruxmaps
7amedugy.jpg

osmand
tymybuna.jpg

sygic
apydahug.jpg

and finally, the behemoth
qemaza3a.jpg

user interface makes a huge difference that download metrics just don't show well. user ratings help, but aren't the entire picture. my favorite is oruxmaps for tracking, offline routing/navigation, and HUD, but usage numbers make it look like a nitch market application. is strengths are in everything that navigation applications fail to do:

work offline
track
route
photo waypoints
Geo caching
multiple user tracking (enduros)
statistics output
Bluetooth GPS acquisition
sharing tracks via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, sdcard, gpsies, NFC, etc

I'd really like to see the 'we only do navigation' applications finally mature into fully featured GPS enabled applications along the lines of oruxmaps. so far, very few have done this. hopefully if/when windows and windows phone finally share applications there will be development in this area. I'll wait for it to happen.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
to the op, I was wrong, none of the applications I tried showed the address you gave correctly besides Osmand. even Nokia maps (browser) failed to do so.

why do you think this is ?

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried the browser so I assume you don't have a windows phone? I dont know why the browser would be different than the windows phone version that's kinda weird let me check.

Update: Untitled.jpg

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Seems like most posts here are about HERE+ Drive, not HERE Maps specifically. I like each of them and think they are OK enough, but why are we accepting the fact that the satellite map imagery in HERE Maps is nearly 10 years old??? And where is the 3d view? I use this app while walking to unfamiliar neighborhoods everyday for work, and need to rely on accurate photographic images.

wp_ss_20140129_0001.jpg photo.jpg

Rockfella

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Please share your experience if you have switched over!
I was a long time Android user and was always very happy with their maps/navigation system. I absolutely LOVED the voice turn by turn with Google. I recently (five months ago) got the iPhone 5 and it's Maps with voice turn by turn is equally as brilliant....albeit Apple had a rough start when their Maps first came out....it's now tip-top.

The point of this post is that I'm about a week away from selling my iPhone 5....driving to the Orlando Microsoft Store, and buying the Nokia Lumia 1520. I was wondering if HERE Maps had a good voice turn by turn navigation system like Google and Apple does....if not HERE Maps, perhaps another Maps app? I am moving to the DC metro area in just over a month and I would very much like my 1520 to be equally a life saver as my iPhone 5 and Galaxy Nexus once were.

I have been doing a LOT of research on this OS switch.....and I am both excited and nervous. I'm pretty set up app-wise....99% of my must have apps are in the Windows app store....but Maps and a GOOD "voice" turn by turn navigation worries me. Plus I do hope this "Cortana" comes to pass......not that Siri is the end all be all of my iPhone, I hardly use her/it....but it would be sweet to have.

Rockfella

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I just tried HERE for the first time in the area I live. I selected shorter route & unpaved roads in settings and it kept on giving me weird directions only to realize later that it was doing what I asked it to do : give me shortest possible route WITH unpaved roads lol. Once I changed settings, it worked great!
I just used HERE Drive + for my trip to Orlando...and it kept throwing me off course...I know enough to drive west on 528 for a least 45 minutes, but it kept telling me to get off 528. I realized that Drive + was giving me directions for TOLL free routes. I unchecked TOLL free routes, and it then directed me to the exact location I needed...TOLL route and all. I like the map detail, looks great on my 1520. I like the voice of the turn-by-turn dude...albeit, I think Google has more "upcoming turn" notifications (too many upcoming notifications can annoy some, but I thought it fine.). Easy to turn off as well.

Over all it's exactly what I wanted. However, I feel the real test is going to be when I move to DC in thirty days. I'm sure DC and the Metro area, are slightly more complex then the Orlando and the surrounding area...lol.

Pulak Vatsya

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Here drive is pretty kickass 👌 directions are pretty accuraye and its pretty fast unlike maps..i feel here maps are pretty buggy and should be updates asap for a better user experience.google constantly updates gmaps unlike microsoft.so yeah some catching up needed here :p

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

So I actually live in the DC area and I used HERE Drive+ for a while before going to Waze. Oh, and I have been to the Orlando area plenty of times so I can give you my opinions on the map applications.

Drive+ in the Orlando area is pretty good. I didn't have many problems and I got to where I needed to go. For a lot of the routes in and around DC, Drive+ works pretty well, but I prefer Waze for many reasons.

Waze actually provides a more accurate time of when I will arrive to my destination. Also, the traffic in the DC area can get pretty bad and Waze has saved me a lot of time getting around them. There were times when Waze would tell me to go a certain route and I wouldn't listen to it because I knew of a better route and of course, my way ended up being congested. Also, when I commute to and from work and encounter a traffic jam, I open up Waze to get an idea of how big the traffic is and the reason. Then I can decide whether to find an alternate route or just stay the course. It really eases the mind.

I don't always use Waze but it is my go to map app of choice. I found that Drive+ took me on routes I that were mostly good but there were directions where I asked why it would take me that route. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it would add a few minutes to my commute. I use Bing maps for walking around the city.

In terms of battery life, my 928 gets between 18-36 hours of battery depending on my use. I have used Waze for 18-20 mile commutes (ranges from 25-50 min) and it would suck about 10-30% of my battery. In comparison, Drive+ would maybe use 10-15% but that depends on how good your battery is. My first 928 averaged 15-20 hours of battery life and would get 50% of it's battery drained using Waze when the app first came out.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me more questions.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Does HERE Maps have offline turn-by-turn navigation? What's the difference then between navigation by HERE Maps and Drive?
Yes, you can download map data to the phone (by state/city/country) and going offline completely. Here Map is just map. Here Drive is the turn by turn negation app.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Here maps has great traffic data too, for some reason Nokia has not combined the two they are both free but are separate apps, Here maps I think opens quicker than drive but I use maps for traffic data I just open it up where I'm at and zoomed out slightly and it tells me traffic of entire city and its updated every 30 sec. I have never used waze maybe the interface is better but pretty sure it uses same traffic info as here if not then I would venture in the US that here has better traffic data that's one of things its known for. But when using drive you have to set it up correctly to get it to route with traffic. Its probably not as easy as waze. But I think they need to combine the two and makes it all one app and easier to use. But as far as traffic data and accuracy one of the best in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes