02-05-2014 12:31 AM
85 1234
tools
    Regardless of business reasons and technicalities, this is a slap in the face and embarrassment to WP and its users. How can MS expect developers and users to support WP as an equal when they don't do it themselves? They may have good reasons, but perception IS reality. At the VERY LEAST they should put out an APB and explain why it will not / cannot come to WP at this time.

Everybody should be tweeting about it. This type of nonsense has got to stop.
    @microsoft
    @windowsphone
    HeyCori likes this.
    01-29-2014 03:16 PM
    I found this on cnet.

Like I said, I went to that link on my 920, saw my point and rewards, did a couple of searches and watched another reward point show up.
    And I was just coming back to report that my test was rather inconclusive. That probably explains why. I downloaded the Bing app on the iPad and the Rewards section is built right in. I tried Bing.com on Safari and logged into my account, but of course Rewards is there because it's the full website. Perhaps I would have gotten a different page if I used an iPhone. Switching my 920 to desktop mode brings up Rewards just fine. Seems like MS is purposely being unclear what makes Bing Rewards different on iOS/Android in comparison to Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-29-2014 03:29 PM
    If not cos I've come to Love my Lumia so so much, I would have switch over to another platform already... If Microsoft don't put their OS and its users first, then who should??????
    01-29-2014 03:29 PM
    Regardless of business reasons and technicalities, this is a slap in the face and embarrassment to WP and its users. How can MS expect developers and users to support WP as an equal when they don't do it themselves? They may have good reasons, but perception IS reality. At the VERY LEAST they should put out an APB and explain why it will not / cannot come to WP at this time.

Everybody should be tweeting about it. This type of nonsense has got to stop.
    @microsoft
    @windowsphone
    And don't forget

https://twitter.com/bing
    jlzimmerman and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-29-2014 03:31 PM
    and tweet bingrewards as well
    let's make this a trending topic
    HeyCori and jlzimmerman like this.
    01-29-2014 03:32 PM
    Is it really an app or just access to a mobile version? The only thing I see mentioned in the article is to go to the mobile version at bing.com/rewards. I tried it on my 920 and it worked just fine. If I wanted to I could just make a tile and launch it instead of the search button and get my rewards.
    I just checked it on my HTC Trophy (WP7.8) to see and that site Bing Rewards - Dashboard does work for me after I logged in, although it looks like crap on my screen. So, this begs the question. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY SAY AS MUCH IN THE ANNOUNCEMENT?

I get that Bing is built into the OS and all that, but as we can clearly see from the reaction here this is making it look like WP is an afterthought. Clearly we can access this website from our WP devices and make Bing Rewards work for us, why do they phrase this in a way that makes it look like we don't have access yet? I mean, we look EXCLUDED from the revamp for now.

"Now announcing Bing Mobile Rewards! Anyone can log onto their Bing account from a mobile device and now rack up points. Oh and by the way, soon WP users will get a BETTER experience when the devs finish 8.1"

If it had been phrased that way the entire feeling of the announcement could have been different. For Pete's sake, I try to be a staunch fanboy but these types of things drive me up the wall.
    01-29-2014 03:36 PM
    I just checked it on my HTC Trophy (WP7.8) to see and that site Bing Rewards - Dashboard does work for me after I logged in, although it looks like crap on my screen. So, this begs the question. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY SAY AS MUCH IN THE ANNOUNCEMENT?

I get that Bing is built into the OS and all that, but as we can clearly see from the reaction here this is making it look like WP is an afterthought. Clearly we can access this website from our WP devices and make Bing Rewards work for us, why do they phrase this in a way that makes it look like we don't have access yet? I mean, we look EXCLUDED from the revamp for now.
    "Now announcing Bing Mobile Rewards! Anyone can log onto their Bing account from a mobile device and now rack up points. Oh and by the way, soon WP users will get a BETTER experience when the devs finish 8.1"

If it had been phrased that way the entire feeling of the announcement could have been different. For Pete's sake, I try to be a staunch fanboy but these types of things drive me up the wall.
    Unfortunately, Bing.com on WP8 redirects to the Search hub. No idea why MS made such an odd decision. To only way to stop that from happening is to switch IE to desktop mode under Settings.
    01-29-2014 03:38 PM

I wish I had an answer and couldn't agree more. There is a lot missing from the announcement.
    HeyCori and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-29-2014 03:39 PM
    Unfortunately, Bing.com on WP8 redirects to the Search hub. No idea why MS made such an odd decision. To only way to stop that from happening is to switch IE to desktop mode under Settings.
    But if you put /rewards after bing.com it takes you right to the dashboard page.
    HeyCori and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-29-2014 03:40 PM
    But if you put /rewards after bing.com it takes you right to the dashboard page.
    Yup, tried it and that seems to be the only way to access the page. Gotta agree, not sure why MS couldn't have gotten this right on the first try. I of course tweeted Bing, MS, WP about getting their act together. This isn't the first time the Bing team has released an update for iOS/Android first. Perhaps the head of that division needs to be replaced. I encourage others to tweet/email MS about the issue.
    01-29-2014 03:45 PM
    Yup, tried it and that seems to be the only way to access the page. Gotta agree, not sure why MS couldn't have gotten this right on the first try. I of course tweeted Bing, MS, WP about getting their act together. This isn't the first time the Bing team has released an update for iOS/Android first. Perhaps the head of that division needs to be replaced. I encourage others to tweet/email MS about the issue.
    But if you can access it now like them by going to the same link, did they really get it first? There is so much misinformation/noninformation in the release. Why give the impression windows phone can't get it when it obviously can. Do they not have meetings about these things before sending it out?
    01-29-2014 03:49 PM
    But if you can access it now like them by going to the same link, did they really get it first? There is so much misinformation/noninformation in the release. Why give the impression windows phone can't get it when it obviously can. Do they not have meetings about these things before sending it out?
    I did some digging and it looks like Qi Lu is in charge of both Bing and Skype. He was a few months ago so I assume he still is. I made sure to call him out by name. Dude needs his wings clipped.
    stmav and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-29-2014 04:02 PM
    I can't believe they've done it again. I feel undervalued as a customer. You would expect Microsoft to prioritise development for their own handset regardless of market share. I've been bragging about how much I love Windows Phone and how much better it's getting, now I feel slightly embarrassed.
    01-29-2014 05:12 PM
    Wow.

This is really insulting to MS's loyal customers.

They are taking us for granted.

I'm very disappointed.
    01-29-2014 05:36 PM
    This is a broader topic and deserves its own thread. Its not just Microsoft doing this and they are not to blame.
    01-29-2014 05:39 PM
    This is a broader topic and deserves its own thread. Its not just Microsoft doing this and they are not to blame.
    They are to blame because Windows Phone is Microsoft's own mobile operating system. Microsoft is the one asking us to invest our money in this OS. They want us to choose Windows Phone... but they think of Windows Phone as an afterthought themselves.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-29-2014 05:59 PM
    Many are outraged by Microsoft choosing to create Bing Rewards app and back end services for iOS and Android first. We shouldn't be surprised. Skype does the very same thing. We should actually expect thus behavior. Microsoft can do this kind of stuff to Windows users...just like most all other devs give Windows platform C-level support (Amazon, B&N, Comixology, VLC,etc). And its our fault. WHY? BECAUSE WE JUST ACCEPT IT, LIKE THE BUNCH OF PANSIES WE ARE. We happily gobble up the scraps that fall off the table like some hungry dog. iOS users would be incensed and take their anger to Twitter directly to the devs. But not us. We put our heads down like the bullied kid and cross our fingers for things to change. We deserve the treatment we get. Will things change? I seriously doubt it. Because deep down we feel we deserve this kind of support for choosing Windows. The devs know that and that's why Amazon gives us crummy Kindle and Audible apps, Comixology removes their WP7 app and doesn't bother to update their buggy Windows 8 app, B&N can't be bothered to make a WP8 app despite getting millions from Microsoft, and VLC has the "when we get aroundtoit" approach to Windows development although they got our kickstarter money. We are the Trekkies at the Comic Convention. We love our stuff, but others just look at us curiously or deride us while we just take it because we think we have something they just don't understand.
    01-29-2014 06:09 PM
    I tweeted. I doubt I'll get an answer though.

Maybe we need to all agree on a particular hashtag, like #taken4grantedbyMS
    HeavyHanded, OzRob and a5cent like this.
    01-29-2014 06:19 PM
    Honestly people, chill out. There is a lot of misinformation going around. I think people see a title and just run with it.
    01-29-2014 06:26 PM
    I see both sides but they also need to get ios and android users on board first. Just releasing it WP users is like releasing to small cult of users remember windows is still far behind android and apple.... only a small percent would be using it if they neglected android and apple. By getting the other two OS's on board it brings awareness to windows and what they can offer, imo its a smart marketing move. In the end it is all about marketing and money....i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    01-29-2014 06:29 PM
    That's what we always do. Get angry here, then chill out, then nothing changes.
    01-29-2014 06:38 PM
    I'm not chilling out, I plan to bail as soon as Apple releases their 5"+ phone. Tired of the lack of support for WP and I don't feel like being a third rate customer that has to pay top notch prices where even the developer of the operating system neglects it. This is likely my first and last WP device.
    HeavyHanded and Slim Makay like this.
    01-29-2014 08:17 PM
    I tweeted Joe Belfiore also. What the hell.

@joebelfiore
    HeavyHanded likes this.
    01-29-2014 09:49 PM
    They do this every damn time, with pretty much EVERYTHING they do!!
    01-29-2014 10:04 PM
    I'm not chilling out, I plan to bail as soon as Apple releases their 5"+ phone. Tired of the lack of support for WP and I don't feel like being a third rate customer that has to pay top notch prices where even the developer of the operating system neglects it. This is likely my first and last WP device.
    I'm sorry about this, and it sucks man, I know. But maybe WP8.1 will surprise you?
    01-29-2014 10:04 PM
85 1234