Microsoft brings Bing Rewards to Android and iOS but Not Windows Phone

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
TThat's not how businesses run though. Any business would do the SAME exact thing. It's the standards of business "go where you'll get the most $$ first."
I would do the same exact thing if I had my own business/product.

Any business would not simply "go where you'll get the most $$ first" if there was a strategic reason to make a different decision. Sometimes longer term strategy trumps short term cherry picking. If Google had followed your advice they would never have made search, email, calendar, etc. free initially. So I guess it's lucky you don't have your own business/product.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Any business would not simply "go where you'll get the most $$ first" if there was a strategic reason to make a different decision. Sometimes longer term strategy trumps short term cherry picking. If Google had followed your advice they would never have made search, email, calendar, etc. free initially. So I guess it's lucky you don't have your own business/product.

So we're all business majors here? This is outright laughable. The keyword here is "sometimes." With the low marketshare that WP has, it's almost irrelevant to say that launching these apps on WP first would make a difference. In this case it's all about mind share. -to create brand awareness for Bing services. -not the Windows Phone platform. ....Because ya know as WP users we already know what Bing provides as a service.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So we're all business majors here? This is outright laughable. The keyword here is "sometimes." With the low marketshare that WP has, it's almost irrelevant to say that launching these apps on WP first would make a difference. In this case it's all about mind share. -to create brand awareness for Bing services. -not the Windows Phone platform. ....Because ya know as WP users we already know what Bing provides as a service.

And that is countered by the r&d, hours and resources spent on creating WP. Nothing says that just because their market share is low they can't support their own platform they are expending resources on, that's just stupid and seemingly typical Microsoft.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
And that is countered by the r&d, hours and resources spent on creating WP. Nothing says that just because their market share is low they can't support their own platform they are expending resources on, that's just stupid and seemingly typical Microsoft.

Sigh...they're still supporting the platform by launching the app later on. -Who knows maybe there's a reason why MS is waiting (better app?--integration into the OS?) -However, the motive of these apps in the first place is gain attraction in the Bing service. -not get users over to WP. Where else would you go if you had 94% of the market using Android/IOS? Example: I used to be a developer for WP7, however since WP7 is dead I had to make a decision on whether or not to move on. I finally moved over to WP8 and Android where there are more users, thus receiving more $$ in the end. -This example could be applied to WP. SINCE WP only has 4% marketshare -and a hell of a lot less users than Android/IOS then I would make sure that I push out these to where I would be making the most FIRST. -And yes, MS is not strapped for cash, BUT they are a business. They are just following the rules of the business by applying where they will make more revenue.

It's pretty basic stuff. You learn this all in basic business courses in college.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Sigh...they're still supporting the platform by launching the app later on. -Who knows maybe there's a reason why MS is waiting (better app?--integration into the OS?) -However, the motive of these apps in the first place is gain attraction in the Bing service. -not get users over to WP. Where else would you go if you had 94% of the market using Android/IOS? Example: I used to be a developer for WP7, however since WP7 is dead I had to make a decision on whether or not to move on. I finally moved over to WP8 and Android where there are more users, thus receiving more $$ in the end. -This example could be applied to WP. SINCE WP only has 4% marketshare -and a hell of a lot less users than Android/IOS then I would make sure that I push out these to where I would be making the most FIRST. -And yes, MS is not strapped for cash, BUT they are a business. They are just following the rules of the business by applying where they will make more revenue.

It's pretty basic stuff. You learn this all in basic business courses in college.

Perhaps you did not go on to take the advanced business courses in your college, or maybe skipped the marketing courses altogether... It seems that what you have learned was targeted towards mom and pop grocery stores and Chinese laundries.

At the MSFT level, losing 2-3 million dollars is nothing compared to looking like a fool when your own products work better on your competitor's platforms than on your own. To me, this seems to indicate that the other parts of MS do not really give two cents about WP, and just look out for their own products. Especially considering that Bing is not even profitable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi