Initial thoughts about Microsoft's recent Announcement of WP new lower hardware support for OEMs..??

Wp8 lvr

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys... What do u think about recent microsoft announcement in MWC2014 About lower hardware support for OEMs to develope cheaper windows phone handsets???
Is it a Smart step to defeate Google android by MS or disaster for WP platform..?

what are ur initial thoughts...? Let me know..

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this is bad: it's exactly the model being used for Windows 8(.1) at present.

We've got Nokia (now to be absorbed by Microsoft), who will likely continue to press forward with the luxurious design and great mobile imaging technology we've come to expect. For people concerned about Windows Phone losing what makes it unique: just stick with "Microkia." Just like Microsoft's Surface line: it's unlikely to change.

However, whilst you can stay under Microkia's umbrella, you can also branch out to potentially new and innovative ideas from other OEMs.

This is beautiful, actually. It's just like Windows 8: we've got the perfect harmony of a combo between Apple's model and Google's model. If you want streamlined hardware and software, stick with Microkia. However, you also are respected to make your own choices about the devices you use, and can easily switch OEMs if they have something that better catches your eye.

All this: without having to relearn the UI every upgrade, you get to keep your data and let all of it migrate, while you also aren't being forced to only have the option of one new device per year.

This is just awesome, I'm very excited. Microsoft is absorbing the strength's of its competitors, and very few of their weaknesses. Be not sad, my friends, rejoice! A new era of Windows Phone and Microsoft is dawning upon us: and it is glorious!

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So the fact is that Android has a lot of different handset makers and they design both high and low end phones. Now these same OEMs can take their phones and plop WP 8.1 on it without having to design a whole new handset, and we should in theory be seeing high end android phones (as well as low) in the market with windows phone from companies that others stick to.. I wouldn't mind seeing (though I personally wouldn't get) a Galaxy S4 or Note 3 with WP 8.1 on it. Only would be minor differences between them.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I kind of was expecting support for even lower end hardware. WP now supports screen resolution lower than 800x600. Makes sense if you think that wp is going to give more RAM to run applications.. (That is more than 140 MB)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is beautiful, actually. It's just like Windows 8: we've got the perfect harmony of a combo between Apple's model and Google's model. If you want streamlined hardware and software, stick with Microkia. However, you also are respected to make your own choices about the devices you use, and can easily switch OEMs if they have something that better catches your eye.

Not to curb your excitement, but my experience with Surface RT where it took Microsoft 12 months to get Wi-Fi solid for people really didn't give me the feeling of "perfect harmony". I wish it had worked perfectly, but trust me, for a company only having 2 tablets at that point they had a lot of issues along the way breaking things in updates etc. I'm actually hoping Microsoft uses Nokia's engineers together with their experience and customer focus to teach Microsoft how to do things right in the hardware world.

But I totally agree with most you say... feels a good model to me too.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Not to curb your excitement, but my experience with Surface RT where it took Microsoft 12 months to get Wi-Fi solid for people really didn't give me the feeling of "perfect harmony". I wish it had worked perfectly, but trust me, for a company only having 2 tablets at that point they had a lot of issues along the way breaking things in updates etc. I'm actually hoping Microsoft uses Nokia's engineers together with their experience and customer focus to teach Microsoft how to do things right in the hardware world.

I see. Well then, I guess that goes back to how awesome the model is. If Microsoft isn't up to scratch on keeping their devices running well, simply jump ship to another manufacturer. You still get to keep the same beautiful OS, as well as having all your data follow you. It's brilliant!

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Strangely enough, WiFi seems to be a difficult thing for a lot of companies to get right. I just don't get it.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Strangely enough, WiFi seems to be a difficult thing for a lot of companies to get right. I just don't get it.

Very good point. I remember lots, LOTS of complaints surrounding both the iPad 3 and 4, as well as either Macbook Pro or Air launch in recent years. The complaint? WiFi issues.

So yeah, seems weird, considering how widespread of an industry standard it is (nearly the same scale as USB, if not more so). Why so many companies struggle? Beats me. But as the iPhone 4 keynote showed us: even the great Steve Jobs still got tripped up by WiFi.... :/

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the main reason why Microsoft is agreeing to dual boot is because it wants to make it easy for people to at least try out Windows Phone. Had it not been for the reality that carrier reps, tech journalists and other pundits are hostile towards WP, then there would be no need to take this route. However, under current conditions it is next to impossible to get WP exposed (in the fullest sense) to people on a critically large scale, this might be the way forward.

At the end of the day, people don't have to use both OS, but it doesn't hurt Microsoft to have the ability to market Windows Phone that's something only a few swipes away. Imagine if this reaches the likes of HTC One, Samsung Galaxy, etc, and the huge number of curious users who might want to experience Cortana as a result of the hype, or out of boredom, or something.

Being able to engage such people directly (via dual-boot) may be more effective than having to depend on unreliable carrier reps and hostile journalists. I guess Microsoft's hoping that actual end-users will give a giant middle finger to the pundits. Of course, we don't know how easy or difficult it'd be to switch between the two OS, but I'm sure Microsoft's banking on users spending more time on WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital