WP 8.1 is missing something

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
you know how the editors of wpcentral stated more than once that they love how Microsoft started paying attention to the small details that would help make a better WP 8.1 ??
here is something I find it annoying but I can still live with it on my 920
when I'm on my photos app and I'm scrolling through the photos and I would like to delete, edit or share a photo or upload it to OneDrive Ill have to press the 3 dots on the very bottom right of the screen and then choose the desired option
Why not design a small taskbar at the bottom including all of these options directly, that would be more appealing to the current WP users and for the future users too
I hope its included in WP 8.1

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
you know how the editors of wpcentral stated more than once that they love how Microsoft started paying attention to the small details that would help make a better WP 8.1 ??
here is something I find it annoying but I can still live with it on my 920
when I'm on my photos app and I'm scrolling through the photos and I would like to delete, edit or share a photo or upload it to OneDrive Ill have to press the 3 dots on the very bottom right of the screen and then choose the desired option
Why not design a small taskbar at the bottom including all of these options directly, that would be more appealing to the current WP users and for the future users too
I hope its included in WP 8.1

One of the best features of WP is its simplicity and its clean interface. Throwing in a taskbar or some buttons around the screen will make WP no different than an Android device.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
One of the best features of WP is its simplicity and its clean interface. Throwing in a taskbar or some buttons around the screen will make WP no different than an Android device.
Yes but I'm talking about simplicity here. say you want to delete a photo
current WP 8 interface --> takes you 2 steps to delete the photo
my idea --> takes you 1 step to delete the photo.
Its not simple to have all your options hidden under 3 dots

DaviUnic

May 31, 2013
Visit site
If you mean the AppBar as seen elsewhere in the OS, I'm pretty sure that's coming. Now you can share, delete, favourite or edit the photo with just one tap on the button. Pressing the 3 dots then reveals additional options (OneDrive, etc.).

Let me fire up the emulator and get you a screenshot... ;)

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Dude, its simple. If you want to delete a specific photo just tap and hold on it. It'll give u options, click on delete. TADAAA!

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
that's even more annoying :s
I know about that but I didn't write about it because its a useless gesture to be honest

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
really? its the design language of windowsphone. If you wanted those buttons, then buy an android.

Calm your hormones man, those buttons are everywhere throughout WP8 , you find the Appbar in the outlook, whatsapp, messaging, and even the peoples hub. Photos app is one of few apps that's missing that Appbar
on the contrary of what you're saying, the appbar is the design language of windows phone

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
A good middle ground may be an appbar that fades away. Tap on the picture again to bring it back.

Personally I don't care either way. I'm not bothered by the 3 dots and wouldn't be bothered by an appbar.

No need to shun everyone who would like things differently.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I hate the excessive use of cryptic icons. My biggest beef with Android is that they have all these app menu icons, but I almost never see captions or labels for those buttons. It's easier for me to click on the three dots and then read the text of what I want to do ("Share") than to try to decipher and get used to the icons on the bottom of every app. It is an extra step, and I know that's usually frowned upon when it comes to UX, but I think it still makes for better UX than having unlabeled buttons. If they labeled the buttons like in iOS, that might be something worth considering.

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Calm your hormones man, those buttons are everywhere throughout WP8 , you find the Appbar in the outlook, whatsapp, messaging, and even the peoples hub. Photos app is one of few apps that's missing that Appbar
on the contrary of what you're saying, the appbar is the design language of windows phone

Everywhere except photo viewer and video playback, coz those are the two places where the viewer wants absolutely no distraction. You want to enjoy your photos on the whole screen; not have a distracting bar on the bottom just so you can delete all the ****ty pictures you shouldn't have taken in the first place. And if most of your pictures suck, then use the thumbnail selector.
And no use going to Android, they're not that dumb either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rohan sharma6

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have Lumia 920 and I think some basic thing is necessary in WP.that is 1. Photos. Move option and copy option.2. Video sharing through Bluetooth from uc browser or from music+videos.3. Downloaded video have sharing option over whatsapp.4. App lock option for any app,particularly photos section album,saved pictures etc.5.videos hidden option.these are the basic option that Microsoft should provide.

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
A good middle ground may be an appbar that fades away. Tap on the picture again to bring it back.

They're actually trying something similar with the new Nokia Camera Beta update. The camera's photo viewer screen is totally void of distractions, even the three dots are gone. You tap the screen to bring up the bar at the bottom, which has Edit, Share and Delete buttons. Maybe that's where they'll add the Heart button to favorite photos (mentioned on change log.)
Absence of the three dots confused a few users at first though.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd probably agree with Kage and say that if there was a three-dot menu similar to the ones in the Mail and Messaging apps that recessed after a certain time would be a nice touch. Personally I don't mind the three dots cause it doesn't get in the way of the photo as much. I wouldn't want them to completely disappear like in the Nokia Camera Beta though..

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

The app bar is only useful for multiple image selection and deletion. All throughout windowsphone if you usually want to delete something, long press is the method, whether be whatsapp message, an email, text , etc.

Pictures must be seen fullscreen, and so the tap and hold seems to be a fair method.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Personally I don't care either way. I'm not bothered by the 3 dots and wouldn't be bothered by an appbar.

No need to shun everyone who would like things differently.

that's actually a really nice idea and its satisfactory to everyone
Wish they would implement it

And btw I didn't shun anyone. People attacked my idea aggressively so I had to talk back. Its that simple

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I hate the excessive use of cryptic icons. My biggest beef with Android is that they have all these app menu icons, but I almost never see captions or labels for those buttons. It's easier for me to click on the three dots and then read the text of what I want to do ("Share") than to try to decipher and get used to the icons on the bottom of every app. It is an extra step, and I know that's usually frowned upon when it comes to UX, but I think it still makes for better UX than having unlabeled buttons. If they labeled the buttons like in iOS, that might be something worth considering.

my personal assumption is that if they actually do such a thing , the appbar at the bottom. They would keep the 3 dots and if you can't understand what each symbol mean (delete, share, favorite) and im sure you're familiar with them, everyone is.
Pressing the 3 dots would pull up the full settings where you'll see what each symbol mean and I've seen that in many apps lately including whatsapp for instance
That's the best thing about WP that it explains what each button is for

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Everywhere except photo viewer and video playback, coz those are the two places where the viewer wants absolutely no distraction. You want to enjoy your photos on the whole screen; not have a distracting bar on the bottom just so you can delete all the ****ty pictures you shouldn't have taken in the first place. And if most of your pictures suck, then use the thumbnail selector.
And no use going to Android, they're not that dumb either.

You don't have to talk in that aggressive way to state your point. In the beginning you did make sense , people want to enjoy their photos. But the photos app is be more than just enjoying a photo.
You have to share that photo , edit it , favorite it and delete it if you dont like it. And all of this should be one touch away from the user. that's what makes an OS successful and win the hearts of many.
I'm no photographer I take bad photos and im sure everyone else does too. So dont address me as a retard who can't use his phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte