20 notifications per app and a low-profile keyboard? :O

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Swiping from the left would have required some apps to change their UI and gesture commands. If they wanted to be unique, swiping up from the bottom would have been better. However I can see that causing issues with the soft keys in 8.1.

Also that keyboard looks like **** IMO.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't like that keyboard either. Most apps use left and eight swipes for navigation. Implementing a swipe from left notification would require a massive overhaul. It's not worth it just for the sake of being different.

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the new keyboard is designed for screens bigger than 5".
Anyway, it's an option. You don't have to like every option you have, but it's good to have many.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Swiping from the left would have required some apps to change their UI and gesture commands. If they wanted to be unique, swiping up from the bottom would have been better. However I can see that causing issues with the soft keys in 8.1.

Also that keyboard looks like **** IMO.

Actually, swiping up from the bottom is one way to launch Google Now. My non-WP device is a Moto X and it has software buttons and they do not interfere with swiping from the bottom.

Microsoft probably just wants to match iOS and Android's way of getting to the notification center so it would be less confusing for people coming from those platforms. Personally I would like an option to move it to the bottom as it's easier to launch then from the top, especially for bigger phones.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Low profile keyboard. Wow, this just keeps getting better all the time.

It's like someone from MS was reading my suggestions posted on here.

I suspect the low profile keyboard will lead to greater accuracy. It's had been one of my theories as to why keypress accuracy is harder for fast typers on WP than it is on iOS and android.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's getting knocked without anyone actually having tried it out.

I'd bet this keyboard is still bigger than an iPhone keyboard. And I can pick up an iPhone and type faster with fewer typos on an iPhone than I can with any WP after a year of solid use. There are many common key press typos that occur on WP and the topic shows up on occasional threads.

My theory on these has been that it is the rectangular ratio on the key shapes that requires extra vertical finger travel. It won't impact hunt and peck typers or heavy users of wordflow as much.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why Google isn't suing Microsoft for the swipe from top to bring down the Action Center. Surely that's a patent violation!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss