Orderthe new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021 right here!

06-18-2014 04:02 PM
69 123
tools
    AMIRITE?
    04-04-2014 04:47 PM
    AMIRITE?
    right, unless the developers update their apps to opt out of this feature. It is extremely easy to reverse engineer when the app is installed on SD Card.
    04-04-2014 04:54 PM
    No its not easy to reverse engineer. Its completly encrypted
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-04-2014 04:56 PM
    No its not easy to reverse engineer. Its completly encrypted
    No, it's only encrypted in the .xap you download from store. When you install the app, everything is unencrypted. That's why MS did not allow apps to be installed on SD Card in WP8 and that's why MS provides the choice for developers to opt out of this feature.
    Last edited by illidanx; 04-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    04-04-2014 05:08 PM
    No, it's only encrypted in the .xap you download from store. When you install the app, everything is unencrypted. That's why MS does not allow apps to be installed on SD Card in the first place and that's why MS provides the choice for developers to opt out of this feature.
    Will you opt out?
    04-04-2014 05:11 PM
    Unfortunately I don't have a link to post, but I've read multiple times that on WP8.1, you will be able to install and run apps from SD card... And I believe the apps will no longer be stored as XAP files.
    04-04-2014 05:15 PM
    It doesn't matter if its encrypted anyways, Microsoft has a security system in place to detect if that .appx file has been used on more than one device, but if there is a way to do it in the emulator, I haven't found out how.
    04-04-2014 05:18 PM
    Will you opt out?
    No, because the gameboy advance roms are quite big and being able to store them on SD Card will be very helpful.
    04-04-2014 05:19 PM
    I wonder if developers will now go and make their apps to be saved on SD CARD or will it be automatically an option on all apps , I dont know :P !! ...
    04-04-2014 05:47 PM
    I wonder if developers will now go and make their apps to be saved on SD CARD or will it be automatically an option on all apps , I dont know :P !! ...
    It's an opt-out thing. If developers make no change to their apps, users will be able to install their apps on SD Card by default.
    04-04-2014 05:53 PM
    No, it's only encrypted in the .xap you download from store. When you install the app, everything is unencrypted. That's why MS does not allow apps to be installed on SD Card in the first place and that's why MS provides the choice for developers to opt out of this feature.
    Thats just wrong. Its completly encrypted bound to the device and the app
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-04-2014 06:05 PM
    Thats just wrong. Its completly encrypted bound to the device and the app
    Then why do you think interop-unlocking those Samsung devices opened the door to piracy? It's because the user of an interop-unlock device has access to the app files post-installation, which is completely unencrypted.
    Tony_Offends_U likes this.
    04-04-2014 06:14 PM
    Apps on the sd card and apps on the phones memory are stored differently. the apps in the phone are encrypted by bitlocker, so for the code running on it it seems unencrypted. but the data on the sd card is encrypted each app differently.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-04-2014 06:20 PM
    Apps on the sd card and apps on the phones memory are stored differently. the apps in the phone are encrypted by bitlocker, so for the code running on it it seems unencrypted. but the data on the sd card is encrypted each app differently.
    We will return to this after I got my hand on the developer preview.
    04-04-2014 06:24 PM
    Just to make a couple clarifications.

You can install and run apps from the SD Card. I have tested this in many SD Cards and even some of the slower cards run without lag/stuttering.
    You can move apps to/from the phone or SD Card.
    Storage Sense is great for keep track of stuff and moving thing around.

Storage Sense - Imgur

Link has screenshots I just took from my 1520.

Encryption and all that? I can't say, but it is cool to see the discussion. :D
    04-04-2014 06:37 PM
    That brings up a bigger question. Will Microsoft encrypt the storage, like if they used like a program files\ directory and set crazy permissions on it.? Or even partition a % of the drive for applications?

If Microsoft didn't do something like that, offering this feature would be almost worthless as every dev of a good app/game would block this feature. I am sure your free apps and games would allow it but, any big game or app, that you would WANT to install on the SD would be blocked.

So, this could be a bigger problem....What is the point of a feature if no one supports it ?
    04-04-2014 07:21 PM
    That brings up a bigger question. Will Microsoft encrypt the storage, like if they used like a program files\ directory and set crazy permissions on it.? Or even partition a % of the drive for applications?

If Microsoft didn't do something like that, offering this feature would be almost worthless as every dev of a good app/game would block this feature. I am sure your free apps and games would allow it but, any big game or app, that you would WANT to install on the SD would be blocked.

So, this could be a bigger problem....What is the point of a feature if no one supports it ?
    Well given you obtain the unencrypted xap from SD Card, the users that you distribute the xap to still need dev unlocked phones to sideload the xap. That, or you make a throw-away dev account to upload the unencrypted xap as a hidden beta app so that every person who signs up for your beta testing list can download and use.

Edit: currently, unecrypted xaps can be obtained fairly easily if you have an interop-unlocked Samsung device. This only makes obtaining the unencrypted xaps easier.
    04-04-2014 07:33 PM
    Well given you obtain the unencrypted xap from SD Card, the users that you distribute the xap to still need dev unlocked phones to sideload the xap. That, or you make a throw-away dev account to upload the unencrypted xap as a hidden beta app so that every person who signs up for your beta testing list can download and use.

Edit: currently, unecrypted xaps can be obtained fairly easily if you have an interop-unlocked Samsung device. This only makes obtaining the unencrypted xaps easier.
    Yep, as it seems you know how the "pirates" are doing it (I'm sure as a dev you understand pretty well). I have a very strong feeling that they will encrypt them in one way or another. The key thing that devs like about Windows Phone is how secure their apps will be with it. If anyone can install to a SD card, copy out the files, zip then to a XAP, then everything will be pirated and with very little effort.

This is something I am sure MOST devs would like to block as well as MS.

It will be interesting how it plays out....
    04-04-2014 07:39 PM
    Ok, I am running WP8.1 on a real device (Lumia 1520). I have apps on the phone and the SD card. If there is anyway I can help to get information to you guys, please, let me know.
    phirefly and LillWicke like this.
    04-04-2014 09:30 PM
    I think we need at least a class 6 SD card to save apps and games.

Hello! XD
    04-04-2014 09:32 PM
    Ok, I am running WP8.1 on a real device (Lumia 1520). I have apps on the phone and the SD card. If there is anyway I can help to get information to you guys, please, let me know.
    Sure, please take out the SDCard and put it into your PC's card reader slot. Access the SD Card by plugging the phone into your PC will not work.

In File explorer, go to View -> Options, select View tab, check "Show hidden files" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

Now browse to the SD Card, go to WPSystem\Apps. You will see many folders with names like this {2F1206C9-D17B-457A-A91E-7497DA705B68}. Go to one of those folders and go to "Install" subfolder. If you can go there, it means nothing is protected. If you got error message, please tell me what it is.

Thanks.
    04-04-2014 09:38 PM
    Aaaaaaaannnnnddd... there we have it...

gnv8alz.png
    04-04-2014 09:45 PM
    Ok, I am running WP8.1 on a real device (Lumia 1520)
    How?????
    04-04-2014 10:01 PM
    How?????
    Microsoft Employee. Tester. Need more?
    04-04-2014 10:07 PM
    Microsoft Employee. Tester. Need more?
    I need to work at Microsoft :(
    Talderon likes this.
    04-04-2014 10:10 PM
69 123