To be Hard reset or not to be?

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Do a hard reset after the update.
It will correct any glitches occurred to the OS during/after the update and 8.1 provides more backup options than 8.0.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Wait a minute. When you hard reset a phone, doesn't it reinstall the firmware/OS from the ROM? And when you update to WP8.1, does the update flash the ROM with the new OS? If the answer to the first question is YES and the 2nd question is NO, then doing a hard reset would revert your phone back to WP8.

I hope someone can confirm what happens exactly when you hard reset a phone and how wp8.1 is updated on our devices.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I would assume so. I always factory reset after updates. GDR2 and GDR3 I factory reset after updating.

GDR3 removed apps that were present in GDR2 on first startup. I no longer had Angry Birds to uninstall unlike GDR2

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yep but some of us dont like the garbage left over after updating OS. Lots of temp files hidden away etc......

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I would assume so. I always factory reset after updates. GDR2 and GDR3 I factory reset after updating.

No you don't, you reset the phone, that's all. If you were to reset to factory state, then you'd end up going back to WP8 as it was released in 2012 and you'd have to do all the updates all over again. Factory reset isn't something that's supported (it can be done, but not officially unless your carrier does it or you take the shady XDA type paths).

Resetting the phone after a big update can be helpful since, as others pointed out, you clear out all the garbage that WP8 and/or the update process might have collected. Your ROM will be updated to a WP8.1 image, so that's where the device will be restored from: a clean 8.1 install. Considering 8.1 will have pretty good restore options for all your start screen and such, it would seem like a good idea to update and then do a hard reset. I'd wait a couple days for good measure though, it's a new update and nobody knows how long the phone will take to sync all your settings and home screen to the cloud - most likely a few minutes, but better safe waiting 1/2 days than sorry, right? I plan to do this specifically to sort out all my Xbox music problems: since we're changing from the Music/Videos hub where I STILL cannot sync my playlists from Windows 8.1's Xbox Music app, I'm hoping after the update this will work, but I've tried so many times under WP8 that god knows how "dirty" those files are... I'd rather do a reset and have everything cleanly installed, then add all my music all over again. Fingers crossed I'll finally get my playlists on my phone without a) having to manually enter them on the phone or b) paying for an xbox music subscription!

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I recommend u not to reset.
As u know with wordflow keyboard coming to wp 8.1, it will be a hard time for you to write in ur language in English script. For eg, myfone has stored the few often used words as i type in hinglish. If hinglish or your native language is an option in the update, then there is no harm in resetting

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, you can always re-add those specific words not in the dictionary as you type texts in the following days, it wouldn't take long until you've added them all back I would assume? Depends on how many they are I guess.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
A hard reset is good, but I'm too lazy to setup all my apps again. Does the backup restore all your app settings? If it doesn't, I won't be doing it.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I used to hard reset.

Back when I was playing around with WM6 and WM6.5 ROMs.

Haven't hard reset since WP7.

I remember those days! :D

Screen01-2.png

Screen01-1.png

skp_login.png

batt80p01.png

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset after installing the 8.1DP to clear my "other storage" which was approaching 7GB. As long as you do a backup beforehand, (and backup your camera roll to Onedrive) you'll have nothing to worry about. The hard reset will also, as mentioned above, clear out any garbage/junk files left by the update and give you a fresh clean install of 8.1DP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck