Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I've looked through this thread in search of someone else experiencing my issue and haven't seen it mentioned yet. Most likely I over looked it though.

My group text messages no longer come through as one message. They get split apart into individual messages. Also, the content of the message is replaced with "getting media". Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: Removed SIM card from my 1520 and inserted it into my 1320. I am now having no text message issues at all.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, here is my summary after using WP 8.1 developer preview ever since it was released on my HTC 8S.
I've done hard and soft reset multiple times, last time was 4 days ago

Bad (Bugs, problems etc.):
1. Internet explorer crashes when loading heavy websites (Phonearena.com for example). It doesn't crash immediately, maybe after a minute. Also when browsing the wpcentral forums it tends to continually refresh the page until it crashes. I've noticed that a lot of other users seem to have this problem (The ones with HTC phones, but some with lumias too). This problem occurs in other browsers too but not always (Maxton works fine on WPcentral forums)
2. I can't acces Internet Explorers advanced settings. Not from inside the app, neither from the settings menu. It just returns me to the previous screen.
3. I can't change my phone language to English (US). I have found that this happends on other HTC phones too
4. Animations stutter sometimes.This never happened in WP8, but mostly the phone operates smoothly. It's not a biggie since it happens rarely, mostly after an app crashes
5. App loading times are hit or miss. This has nothing to do with where the app was installed. Sometimes they load faster, sometimes slower. WP8 was pretty much consistent when it came to this
6. Sometimes live tiles take a second or two to "load".. This mostly happens when I unlock the phone and scroll fast to the bottom. This never happened on WP8

Conclusion:I think that there are some RAM memory management problems. It's the only thing that could explain most of those problems. I'm getting a feeling that they still haven't finished tweaking the new memory management system.

The good:
1. Everything about WP 8.1. I admit, there are some problems, but the OS feels really mature now. I'm liking the app2sd option especially (Storage was a big problem on HTC 8S).

In general I don't understand all the complaints (Ok, the new cursor for text selection is bad - it's the only one agree with). We even have file managers now :), action center, tile backgrounds

At least two of those are known issues with HTC Windows Phones, the IE Advanced Settings and changing your phone language to US English. I also believe there is a bug with Wifi as well that causes the phone to reboot.

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the 8x and I do have the ie11 bug that crashes when selecting advanced options. Also I have lag on the start screen but overall I'm happy with WP 8.1 but thee is still alot of work to make it better. 8-10.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm on WP 8.1 preview on AT&T Lumia 1520, with minimal problems - I have experienced the hang when unlocking phone (app in background ?), the unresponsive power button & scrolling (down) seems to be affected from time to time.

Regarding micro sdCard - you should go to Storage Sense, click 'remove SD card' & follow the instructions to remove (unmount) the card. Loading pictures, music, etc to sdCard from a PC / laptop goes much quicker if you remove the card, slide it into the appropriate PC / laptop slot & load data that way. After you've completed your load, re-insert the sdCard into the phone & everything is recognized (indexed) once card is inserted.
Installing apps to sdCard - I attempted to install an app from Store, directly to sdCard with failure. Install your apps to phone, then move them to sdCard (via Storage Sense) for a better outcome. I only tried to install 1 app to card, before I switched it. Using a 32gb class 10 / UHS 1 card ...

Contemplating a hard reset (I'll unmount my sdCard, first) to see if any minor issues are remedied. :cool:

caresrg

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
When Skyping horizontally with my 920 (buttons up OR buttons down), the inset picture of myself is upside-down! So for now, I'm Skyping in portrait orientation.

Victor Carias

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

I'm running 8.1 on a Lumia 920, here are a few issues I've encountered:

1. Sometimes the frame rate seems slow and it lags a bit. I usually see this on the home screen, the games app, or the music app.
2. When I'm using the internet, for example if I'm on Google, the links/touch screen feels unresponsive. I have to press several times and zoom in to properly click on something.
3. When I opened the music app either the app just showed a black screen or my phone froze and I had to reset it. The app still didn't work for a while after that, but eventually it worked again.
4. Every time I get a toast notification and I press on it, it opens it as a new task/tab. Therefore, after pressing that toast for a couple messages from the same person, I hold the back button to change tasks and I see 5 messaging tabs for the same message. It doesn't take long to have several tabs open that I have to close when I hold the back button.
5. When seeing your camera roll gallery through the option while running the camera, you can't zoom out and swipe through your gallery quickly anymore. Not really a bug, just something that's kind of annoying.
6. The music app is really bad, doesn't show/changes my album art. Doesn't show all artist information (as it did before). Runs slower and no longer has the swipe to change track feature. Also not a bug but an annoyance and downgrade from what the app used to be.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

When seeking in a video on youtube or other streaming videos on sites the phone makes a loud clicking noise even if the volume is all the way down

eisanchez

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
yes, my location services are on. I think I know what is the problem. after hard reset, I have to choose the language at that starting process and I only have English(UK). The US version is available only after I download it in the settings zone but the UK version still remains, I can t remove it. I guess i'll have to wait for a HTC firmware ?

In the language settings, is English (US) the first one in the list? If not, long press English (US) and tap move up. Cortana will work even if English (UK) is still there as long as English (US) is the first one. It worked for me in my HTC 8x.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Just updated my 8x everything is going fine so far (touch wood) but my video app fails to work. The live tile is darkened out and clicking it does nothing and clicking from the app list does the same. I cannot uninstall it only option I get is to pin the app. Any ideas as to a fix?

acermark

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So far the only bug I've discovered is that when you turn off an app in the background and then turn it back on again it doesn't stay open in the background. The only way I could get it working was to uninstall and then re-install the app.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Start screen freezes after a phone call. Need to hit the power button to close and open for it to work again. (no reset).

​Lumia 920

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
While i wasn't able to fix my old problems, i got new ones. Facebook messenger causes a huge battery drain and very high phone heating. Wasn't happening on WP8...

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Woke up at 6.42am to find my 1020 stuck at the glance screen with time 1.42am, not responding to any buttons. It was on the charger all night, but only charged to 77%. Scary, I thought I slept until 1.42pm! Had to do a soft reset (power + vol down for 15sec or so). Hope this is a one off, because I kind of need that alarm clock.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had no real big issues. One thing I have noticed is that there is no sound for unlocking my phone or pressing the power button. That little clicking you hear. Other than that, no other problems

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes