Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 running Developer Preview 8.1 on AT&T.

Last night I tried enabling Cortana, so I turned on location, allowed Cortana to run in the background, and pinned the live tile to the start screen so I could get news and weather notifications from Cortana. I guess by doing that I no longer got any new notifications from WPCentral app. And there were several new stories this morning which my WPCentral app did not show me in Action Center or on the live tile. And Quiet Hours was not on. So I went back to disabling everything for Cortana and now I got a notification from WPCentral app.

Not sure why this is happening. Pretty much the first bug I've noticed using the WP 8.1 preview.

No one was getting notifications from WPcentral because they had the "Win a Surface pro 3" pinned to the top.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all im having trouble editing contacts and im properly making a rookie mistake but its got me stumped, if i open phonebook from the phone icon then i see history & speed dial,
at the bottom i have 4 icons voice mail, keypad dial, phonebook ??? and + .
now if i open phone book i only get the choice to call contact nothing else ??? how do i edit a contact ?? i used to be a able to from the phonebbok but not now.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all im having trouble editing contacts and im properly making a rookie mistake but its got me stumped, if i open phonebook from the phone icon then i see history & speed dial,
at the bottom i have 4 icons voice mail, keypad dial, phonebook ??? and + .
now if i open phone book i only get the choice to call contact nothing else ??? how do i edit a contact ?? i used to be a able to from the phonebbok but not now.

in the call history, tap the contact card icon to the right of the name. Then tap the pen icon to edit. If you tap the phone book icon in the diaper, you can't edit contact details. If you tap the contact card that's next to the name in the call history, you can edit.

Alternatively, open the people hub, tap the contact you want to edit and tap the pen icon.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
No one was getting notifications from WPcentral because they had the "Win a Surface pro 3" pinned to the top.

Ok thanks. I figured something was going on related to that late yesterday as I was having all kinds of issues getting updates in the WPcentral app. Seems to be back to normal today.

Thanks!

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
don't know, what is happening. i am feeling that the battery getting wiped off pretty soon nowadays. my regular usage are not rised, but i needed to charge every night now. sometimes, it's @ 45% by 5 pm.
this is since 18th may. i do accept my daily schedule has been changed. i was not in office for almost 10 days. i was using 3g full day. this might be the reason.

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with installing/updating apps in WP8.1, it only started recently.

Some (not all) apps that gets updated gets stuck on the 'installing..' part, then 5 minutes later it finishes, but it is no longer visible in the app list, but I cannot reinstall the app because it is marked "installed" in the store. So I am unable to use it because it seems to be installed but is not visible.

Some (again, not all) new apps that I download also exhibit the behavior above.

I have tried to reboot and to soft reset. Yet the apps still do not appear/still not available at the store. Anyone else have the same issue?

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting alarm problems, like they come on after the time that they were set at. Example, had alarm at 2:20 on to pick my kids up from school and it never went off. I deleted the alarm and made the alarm for the same time...and nothing.

MrRager22

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys and gals, just switched from Android to WP yesterday. Got the Lumia Icon and already put WP 8.1 on it. So far I love it but I have an annoying issue. I tried two of the popular battery apps, Battery and Battery Meter, and neither show my battery life on the lock screen. Also, I heard WP 8.1 will allow tiles to update every minute instead of every 30 minutes. Is this enabled by default or will the battery app developers have to push an update to use that feature?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys and gals, just switched from Android to WP yesterday. Got the Lumia Icon and already put WP 8.1 on it. So far I love it but I have an annoying issue. I tried two of the popular battery apps, Battery and Battery Meter, and neither show my battery life on the lock screen. Also, I heard WP 8.1 will allow tiles to update every minute instead of every 30 minutes. Is this enabled by default or will the battery app developers have to push an update to use that feature?

Congrats and welcome to WP!

Make sure you have those battery apps allowed to run in the background in Battery Saver. Go to settings to find Battery Saver.
I use this app for tracking my battery usage:
Insider | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Insider has many useful features and also has a transparent tile. There is a free and Pro version with ads removed.

Oh yeah and as far as I know, yes the developers need to take advantage of the new update every minute instead of every 30 minutes feature. Not sure how many apps are doing this yet.

Good luck! :smile:

MrRager22

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I made sure Battery Meter was enabled in Battery Saver but still no status on the lock screen. Does anyone else have this issue?

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Something is definitely going on since the latest 8.1 preview build was released a week or so ago (x.878). I'm getting probably a freeze a day on my Nokia 810 (requiring soft reset). Seems to be apps that require a connection like IM+, myShoppi, Mail, Podcast Lounge etc. The symptom is usually launch the app, it gets stuck. Hold down the back key and close the app, launch again, freeze-city :(.

The previous build was more stable in this regard.

TozyJay

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Weirdest thing - Cortana stopped working for me today on my Icon. I can search but can't open any links. I scroll up and down and read the search results but that's it. Also, if I swipe right/left to view things like Local and Images, it just keeps showing the base search results. Anybody else seeing this?

I've rebooted and tried disabling Cortana. The regular Bing search works just fine without Cortana. Re-enabling Cortana after that didn't do any good either. I'm befuddled!

eXonyteBA

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Seconding the strange Cortana issue today on my 920. She worked fine yesterday, wouldn't return results last night, and today she gives the results TozyJay described. My guess is it is a server side issue.

Edit: Now a few hours later she has started working fine again.

Last edited:

Arkadeep Haldar

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
My L625 running W8.1 developers preview getting a error 'no interenet connection' while connecting to my wifi router. The router in ok and have an active net connection that i have checked using another device.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

There's an App called Flashlight that also has a battery meter which can be set to show battery status on the lock screen. Works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes