I love it...BUT...

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
So far, I'm loving WP8.1 and I could spend a lot of time explaining why. There's just so much goodness and I'm already making great use of the geofencing and people reminder features. Cortana pulled my flight info from my email, so that's taken care of with minimal effort on my part. I've fussed with the new, fancy tile capabilities. The Action Center has allowed me to take seldom used apps OFF of the start screen. I love Data Sense (AT&T better leave it alone this time) and Battery Sense and WiFi Sense...it all just...dare I say it...makes SENSE.

BUT...I got gripes and I hope we get them fixed. I'm sure many of you have written these in many different places, but I wanted to consolidate:

* Facebook not integrated - it will no longer pull my Facebook Profile pic for the Me Hub.
* Can no longer post to Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn all at the same time. I hope they took down those Ben The PC Guy Challenges
* Why is there no picture background in pictures? That was a showcase.
* Podcast separated out doesn't make sense to me, especially if the new app doesn't add any features. Just put it back
* No way to quickly change from Vibrate+Ring to Vibrate Only. You have to select vibrate and then turn down the volume.
* My playlists are GONE in Music.
* I have artists showing up as "On My Phone" that are not on my phone. When I click the artist the "In Collection" list is blank.
* I realize Cortana is in BETA, so I won't beat up on it. In fact, I was very impressed with it. I am disappointed that when choosing sports teams that only professional teams are listed. Where are my University of Michigan Wolverines??? GO BLUE!
* It is more difficult to get to the 3rd party photo apps for editing and playing with photos.
* I can't Save To OneDrive with pictures either. I have it set to backup only on WiFi, but sometimes I want to send a pic to OneDrive before the syncing kicks in.
* Music app is SLOW...they found a way to make it worse. It started as Zune (awesome) then Music+Video Hub (less awesome) not this (opposite of awesome)
* If you follow the plan and have Facebook + separate Facebook Messenger, you get double notices on every message.
* I don't see how to set my status for messaging...I guess we just "mute" now
* QR Code scanner being hidden is no bueno.
* The cursor placement thing has changed. You used to be able to hold it down and then move it without finger out of the way. It does it in a way where the cursor and your finger are in the same place, so your view is obstructed.
* They still won't allow NFC to be convenient to turn on/off. You still can't pin it; it's not available in the Action Center.

That's all for now. Let me stress that overall, I think this is pretty great!

Last edited:

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Music keeps getting worse and worse. For me it is now literally unusable. I have a 1520 that I updated, I also have a 520, not updated. I will not update the 520 and go back to using it as a music player.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
it will no longer pull my Facebook Profile pic for the Me Hub.

Open the Me Hub, then tap on your picture. This will bring up the "Choose a Picture" setting and you can have it pull your picture from Facebook.

If you follow the plan and have Facebook + separate Facebook Messenger, you get double notices on every message.
Open the Facebook app and go to Settings. You can disable notifications for messages through the app. Meanwhile, you'll still get message notifications from Facebook Messenger.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
"Why is there no picture background in pictures?"
"Podcast separated out doesn't make sense to me, especially if the new app doesn't add any features. Just put it back"

Agree on the above and adding:

Music app is a mess.
Cortana should store all personal data locally and only send quarries to relevant online services when it need to get additional data.
There should be a way to opt out of MS collecting voice data to improve their services.
Cortana wants always on location services to function at all. That is just stupid. It should be able to do simple things like set reminders without data or location connections.

Just started playing with 8.1; so I am sure there will be more.

wetworker

Oct 31, 2010
www.zunecards.net
While I like most of the new features, I'm totally in agreement with your list. The picture hub was one of the best things on the OS. Now it's just looks like boring *** Android and IOS.
The music app is awful. It's too busy and that big xbox music label at the top is a wast of valuable real-estate. Why do I need that when I know where I'm currently at? The original music playback was fine, all they had to do was make a few tweaks.

Also they took away the original animation that opens the page. boring. and why every time I launch the music app it's looking for music?

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to disagree with you on the photos app. I think it is much more functional & organized than before. I'd take that rather than the background.
I am disappointed in the music app though. no live tile/swiping back and forth/slow in loading/no hub. They did make playlist making easier though. All my playlists are there though.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm liking this update to a degree, but I agree with the above statements on the music (but haven't had issues with loading it). My biggest gripe is I'm a big Xbox guy. I loved that the Games hub aggregated all my games into it and kept them off my app list. Now with this update, all 25+ games show up in my app list. To me it no longer looks clean. Hubs to me were folders of sorts, without the ability to modify contents of course.

I personally think MS should take a second look at Hubs and see if they can't find a way to make that WPs version of app folders.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to disagree with you on the photos app. I think it is much more functional & organized than before. I'd take that rather than the background.
I am disappointed in the music app though. no live tile/swiping back and forth/slow in loading/no hub. They did make playlist making easier though. All my playlists are there though.
I wonder if something went wrong. NONE of my playlists showed up. When I plugged my phone into the computer, that app on there showed playlists. ARG!!! So frustrating. All I want is my precious Zune software back. :)

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking this update to a degree, but I agree with the above statements on the music (but haven't had issues with loading it). My biggest gripe is I'm a big Xbox guy. I loved that the Games hub aggregated all my games into it and kept them off my app list. Now with this update, all 25+ games show up in my app list. To me it no longer looks clean. Hubs to me were folders of sorts, without the ability to modify contents of course.

I personally think MS should take a second look at Hubs and see if they can't find a way to make that WPs version of app folders.

I forgot to list that games are now listed in the apps section AND the Games subsection. I'd like to keep games out of the general app list. Also, I thought there was going to be a way to filter so that your most used apps would be at the top of the list. Hopefully, that comes.

wetworker

Oct 31, 2010
www.zunecards.net
I feel your pain dude. It's like each team that gets a hold of zune ,Xbox Music makes it worse. The last version was pretty complet, I hate having to share the now playing screen with all the other elements. All I want is artist name, big Album art , Play buttons, 2-3 upcoming tracks nothing else.

Now we get this big *** Xbox Music tag at the top wasting space.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Open the Me Hub, then tap on your picture. This will bring up the "Choose a Picture" setting and you can have it pull your picture from Facebook.

Open the Facebook app and go to Settings. You can disable notifications for messages through the app. Meanwhile, you'll still get message notifications from Facebook Messenger.

WOAH...I swear that wasn't there before.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to list that games are now listed in the apps section AND the Games subsection. I'd like to keep games out of the general app list. Also, I thought there was going to be a way to filter so that your most used apps would be at the top of the list. Hopefully, that comes.

Note also that you can no longer uninstall games from game hub. :(

Ezra Mohamed Eusoff

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The only thing i dont like about 8.1 is that we cant post FB Linkedin all at 1 go... other than that its all good for me :)...

really hope they bring back the all in 1 status update

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon