Huge Amazon device sale! Shop all the discounts now

07-20-2014 12:38 AM
82 ... 234
tools
    How didu do that ???
    04-20-2014 01:02 AM
    After all methods I have restored back to Windows Phone 8.0 using Nokia's Software Recovery Tool. Seems like you can downgrade while its a developer preview! Cheers!
    Has nothing to do with this being a Developer Preview, it has to do with the fact that Nokia Software Recovery Tool completely flashes the device and does a fresh install of the OS. Translation: Even when the official update comes out, you'll always be able to flash older versions of WP (assuming you're using a Lumia device. Other OEM's are out of luck on the downgrade front, in most circumstances).
    04-23-2014 06:00 PM
    I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of Battery Saver somehow having a bug, causing the battery to drain MORE.

I'm still investigating, but it does seem that Battery Saver (as in the actual feature that makes a shield appear over the battery icon, not as in Batter Saver's background tasks) seems to somehow increase battery drain. Unfortunately, my analysis has thus far not been very scientific, as I've had too many variables by means such as varied usage patterns, different locations, using different services at different times, etc. I'll continue looking into it, but don't quote me on it. I simply recommend trying it out for yourself and seeing where you get. Mileage may vary.

EDIT: Possible explanation: It's trying hard to conserve battery by turning things off (such as radios), so when you pick it up, it needs energy to turn said radios back on. So maybe Battery Saver has better standby times, but if you're life me: you're constantly picking up your device, using it for aprox. 5minutes, then setting it back down, pick it back up after 3-7minutes, repeat.

Not conclusive yet, but a very promising lead and explanation.
    Last edited by SwimSwim; 04-23-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    04-23-2014 06:04 PM
    Dear all;
    After setting gmail sync to half an hour and disabling theme sync from system sync setting, my battery consumption rate has dropped from %10 to %4. By the way I also disabled location services.
    Thanks again for your suggestions.
    06-24-2014 03:14 PM
    Here's something else I'm putting more weight in, now... when I'm in my office, my phone has no signal at all. I'm lucky if I get one bar of 1X.

My phone absolutely kills itself looking for a signal. KILLS itself. When I get here, I'm at about 96%. As of this writing, 8 hours after arriving, it's down to 35%.

This past weekend I was in DC. Walked around all day, took LOTS of pictures, texted a bit, used FaceBook... all that stuff. By the time I got back to where we were staying in the evening, I was down to 65%.

I think that there's some horrible algorithm running that is trying too hard to find a better signal. My phone always suffered when I was at work back in the wp7, 7.5, 7.8 and 8.0 days. But 8.1 makes me worry if I'll get home before it dies.

And being on Verizon, I can't tell it to stop looking for anything other than 1X- that's locked out.

Thoughts? Anyone else seeing something similar?
    06-24-2014 03:30 PM
    Talderon,

There's been a longstanding bug in WP8 and now 8.1 which simply eats the battery in the background randomly. If you are internal to Microsoft it would be great if you can escalate this and get some diagnosis. Battery Saver (which is the closest look at the OS we get as users) shows nothing and yet the phones physically get warm and the battery discharges quickly.

I've tried all sorts including switching everything on and off and not found anything like BT/NFC to affect the situation. I am on a 920, and I've even pondered as to whether its a hardware errata that no one wants to admit. If it Isn't, it has to be an OS service or core issue.

You only have to look at the number of complaints about battery life to know that something is going on. The question is where.
    I'm not sure if this issue is completely OS related. I think it's more app related. The reason is that my Icon will be fine, but if I use certain apps, even for a little bit, it will sometimes go into battery eating mode and heat up. Case in point, this evening, my daughter was playing Where's My Water. Then opened up (but didn't play) Space Race 3D. I closed out of both games, but not long after, my phone was overheating and battery drain was considerable. Had I not caught it and done a soft reset, my battery would have been depleted in about an hour. I've seen this happen with Windows on a desktop/laptop. An app doesn't close down properly and starts eating resources. I wish there was a way like in Android, where I could see what background processes are working and shut them down individually. I think much of the battery problems on WP has more to do with sloppy app development and less to do with the OS itself.

This may also be the reason why developers and Microsoft are having fits trying to figure this out.
    06-24-2014 10:48 PM
    " I wish there was a way like in Android, where I could see what background processes are working and shut them down individually"

I totally agree the battery saver app is a blinking joke :(
    Really annoys me they even supply this waste of space app

My 1520 phone goes into heat up and die mode a lot!
    and its very annoying to find it dead 3 hours after charging

but if for some reason I don't get this bug I can get 4-5 days standby
    Its infuriating (so is the double tap instead of swipe bug/hardware fault)

07-20-2014 12:38 AM
82 ... 234