Constant Loss Of Data Connection After 8.1

adzzzbatch

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It seems to have gotten better the past few days. But there haven't been any updates either.

This is the thing though, it seems to be totally random! Yesterday I had the data loss once or twice, tonight it's been almost every time I'm trying to do anything that requires data. I have to do the switching to flight mode and back thing.

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Just an update to say I can 100% reliably replicate the problem with my Lumia 920 on 3 UK. Data connection will be working, I turn on internet sharing and connect with my (windows 8.1) asus transformer t100 and the data connection is instantly gone on both the phone and tablet with dock. Even toggling data from 4g to 3g and back does not bring it back as long as the laptop is connected through internet sharing.

Wondered if it was because I didn't have tethering on my mobile plan but I've had it added and still no change.

Really could do with this being fixed as it's become more of a pain now I want to use the phone to share internet.

Last edited:

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Had started a separate thread without seeing this ...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...6042-data-connection-drop-vodafone-india.html

The worst part of the problem is the randomness ... am unable to find any trigger / pattern ...

Last 2 days it didnt happen at all and was using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop ... dropped today morning again ... enabled flight mode for a few minutes and then disabled it ... and data was back on ...

Do not use bluetooth at all ...

Seems to be a carrier specific problem and am worried that since there are no carrier specific upgrades in India ... the problem will persist !!!

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Phone itself seems greatly improved since last nights update. Unfortunately though the data connection is lost the moment I use internet sharing to tether my laptop still :(

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Mystery solved, annoyingly my tethering plan doesn't start for another nine days!

At least last nights update seems to have solved my phone losing data connection as long as I don't tether!

adzzzbatch

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Mystery solved, annoyingly my tethering plan doesn't start for another nine days!

At least last nights update seems to have solved my phone losing data connection as long as I don't tether!

Oh I'm glad you've got a fix!

I don't use my phone to tether so the trouble continues.

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
@adzzzbatch, you've installed the latest update (released yesterday/last night) and still getting the data connection dropping randomly?

Sorry to hear it if so, mine has behaved all day aside from the tethering. Used to drop connection several times an hour so I'm sure my problem was fixed by the update.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have not upgraded to WP8.1 yet as Tethering is the only data connection for our home and the WP8.0 is working perfectly. I actually bought a Lumia 520 as my Android (Moto X) was doing exactly what you people are describing with WP8.1-Tethering. At a guess, it appears to me to be a QoS thing as internal stuff is taking precedence over Tethering.

Well, that's what I am pretty sure was happening with Android as it would often suddenly announce "6-new updates installed," even though I have App-updates off. If it had to update internal Apps, they were getting first byte :) at the data path and dropping the Tether.

Seems like WP8.1 developers may have fallen into the same trap. That Tethering issue was at the head of the fix-it-list for Android 4.4.3 update just rolling out now. If WP8.1 doesn't lift it's game on this Tethering issue, I may have to reluctantly go with Android 4.4.3.

That's a bummer as I really want to go with the WP8.1 update but cannot take the risk of faulty Tethering. I am watching this thread closely!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have no tethering as I'm on a non-shared data plan on AT&T plan and get the issue. Although the past week or so has mostly been problem free. However, last night TXT/SMS started failing but data still worked. A reboot cleared it up.

Installing the new update now.

pietroroman

May 11, 2014
Visit site
let us know if the new update solves this problem!

i look forward to be able to install 8.1 without having to lose my data connection...

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Problem still persists even after the new update ... my solution still is to switch off data connection and switch it back on ... dont know why but still suspect its a carrier specific problem !!!

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
my solution still is to switch off data connection and switch it back on ... dont know why but still suspect its a carrier specific problem !!!

Not sure I agree. Turning data on/off has nothing to do with the carrier. That is a totally an internal thing as with reboots etc. Providing the carrier signal is emitting from the tower that is all the carrier is concerned about. How that signal is deciphered and used is up to the phone. If the little "3G" or "4G" icon was going on and off then I may be convinced that there could be an issue with the carrier.

But - I have two phones, a Moto X and the 520 and and neither show that icon differently at any time. If there is an issue with the 3/4G then both phones will show it. I have seen that probably twice in the past six months and only for minutes duration even then.

Turning data off and on again probably resets the QoS process. It sounds like the same issue I have sometimes with the Moto X. Android is hopeless at QoS. I now have 4.4.3 and it is still no better, so I have to use the 520 for Tethering at home as wp8.0 is excellent at the QoS.

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Problem came back for me after several lovely days without it after the most recent update :(

Very very strange. Don't understand why it was fine for a few days only to revert. If anything it seems worse today with toggling data on off having to be done twice or more before it starts working again

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Problem came back for me after several lovely days without it after the most recent update

Almost certainly a wp8.1 "feature," of working in the background even when background tasks are set to off. I suspect that setting only applies to non-msoft apps and the wp8.1 is hogging the data-bandwidth for it's own purposes. That would explain your several-day hiatus.

I am convinced that is the problem with Android Tethering as almost every time I had trouble it would shortly thereafter announce, "restart to install new updates." etc.

It's weird as Tethering (IMHO) is going to be the big thing in the coming months and years for data at home. I would have thought they would have given the Tethered QoS total precedence over all internal stuff. It appears to be that way with wp8.0 as it Tethers perfectly and my Android sits unloved and unused on the shelf. :)

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I found the same adzzbatch (that the last updated improved greatly) however Tethering was impossible. Finally resolved today.

Unfortunately it looks like Three UK customers with Windows Phone 8.1 are being blocked. Three network team have promised that they'll add an exception to my account to enable it to work for me but will take two days.

More info here
Data Connection Issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes