No Cursor in Windows Phone 8.1

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The new way is so much better. The old was ok, but when you had a lot of text typed and you were trying to go back an make changes, it was a pain. This system rocks, I just wish once you grabbed it, it stayed a little further above the finger (in that way the old was a little better).

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Dude learn to adapt things easily especially the things which can makes your life easy
I'm trying, seriously. All I'm asking for is a option in the setting somewhere to toggle back to the old way. Because the new way has NOT made MY life any easier using the phone. I'm glad it's working for you.
I know it's there, I feel it's there, But I can't see it there cause my very tiny thumb is pretty much covering it all.
Same here. No matter how hard I try, my finger keeps covering up the damn cursor and I can't tell where the hell it is!! It is a cruel game of "Where's Waldo" when moving it around.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No matter how hard I try, my finger keeps covering up the damn cursor and I can't tell where the hell it is!! It is a cruel game of "Where's Waldo" when moving it around.

I also liked the old way, but even now you can move your finger quite a bit down before the cursor drops to the next line. For me it's enough to reveal the entire cursor and selection dot.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I kinda prefer the the older way as I find the new way you can easily cover up the cursor with the finger that's moving it. However the older way was a pain with panning up and down text beside it would jump. Would bad nice if they left both ways.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just realized that after I updated my Lumia 920 to WP8.1 Preview for developers,I can't press and hold in a text area to place the cursor whenever I want it to be,as I use to be since WP7. Now You can only place the cursor at the beginning or end of a word you can't place it in the middle of the word to change a specific letter.

Anyone else experiencing this after updating to WP8.1?

The way it is now feels so natural I didn't pay attention to this till I read this topic.

supercat27

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
agreed, one of my biggest pain points is the cursor - it usually wrongly selects the whole word or places it at the back or front of a phrase, when i want to edit something in the middle - they need to implement some type of zoom, similar to what iOS has.

This is rudimentary MS - get it together

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
It's a step backwards. Before you could position the cursor anywhere you want, alot like with a mouse. Now you have to tap and drag it around.

Kind of the same thing right? You had to hhold it down before, the cursor would appear in some random area, and you would place it where you want it.

Now you just tap, drag, and place. There's no delay and random placement of the cursor.

Learn it. You may find it easier to perfect something than complaining about it. Just saying.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Kind of the same thing right? You had to hhold it down before, the cursor would appear in some random area, and you would place it where you want it.

Now you just tap, drag, and place. There's no delay and random placement of the cursor.

Learn it. You may find it easier to perfect something than complaining about it. Just saying.

This!!!

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Sure its now better. It just works as it was in WP8 but this time you just tap, hold that little circle, drag it anywhere, even if you drop down a little bit your finger to clearly see the word while still holding/pressing, it still works

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Sure its now better. It just works as it was in WP8 but this time you just tap, hold that little circle, drag it anywhere, even if you drop down a little bit your finger to clearly see the word while still holding/pressing, it still works

You don't need to tap exactly in the circle, you can tap one any part of the cursor:

| <--- you can tap here
| <--- or here
O <--- and obviously here

Old WP8.0 cursor:
- tap and hold for 2 or 3 second until cursor appears
New WP8.1 cursor:
- Tap-Tap, the cursor will appear.

Old WP8.0 behavior:
- Move the finger until the cursor set on the right place, but in my experience, 50%, the cursor ends in another place
New WP8.1 behavior:
- Move the finger where you want, the cursor will move character to character, it is easier to put the cursor where you want.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its weird that they changed this.i believe the old way is much easier to handle than trying to hit that sweet spot to move the caret. That being said, the new keyboard is much smarter now that rarely do I need to edit anything and I am using Word Flow which is amazing and very easy to use
If I am not mistaken there must be a video done to show how it is done (using the cursor).
All those who are saying the older was better have not yet discovered how one can manipulate this cursor.
For me I learn something each time I read these threads.
With this new cursor, do you know that you you can tap anywhere (blank), the cursor would appear, then hold anywhere to move it, be it up or down and obviously sideways. Guys try everything to discover what is best for you

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I know how to fire it up, But I find it disturbingly annoying that I can't see where I'm putting it(That's what he said).
After firing it up just tap & hold anywhere, then move the cursor anywhere you want. You can move it by hold it in those lines you have typed.
Do you know that a second tap on a word bring up the cursor, while the first tap select the word. And once the that small circle is shown, hold anywhere, yes I mean anywhere, be it in the middle of the words you have typed, on blank space e.t.c you can still move the cursor. Once fired don't obstruct yourself by holding where the cursor is, just chose anywhere.

Swiss7599

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The new cursor is horrible! Its extremely difficult to get it to work 100% of the time. The handle is way too small. You cant even see the damn thing when you're dragging it around. Change it back!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss