Dell Technologies Cyber Savings Event - Up to 45% off

08-02-2014 10:04 PM
106 12345
tools
    I've read a lot of the threads in this forum, and I don't see why everyone is ******** about Windows Phone 8.1.
    It's improved in almost every aspect imo, the only thing I don't like is the lag on the start screen, but since as how this is not an RTM release, what can you expect?
    Mobile nations/wpcentral will be happy of the complaints because of the ads
    04-21-2014 02:00 PM
    ....right. Ok at any rate, wp8.1 is the build. They may update it, but this is what they released to the world as their finished product.
    Um, they have reportedly issued a build to manufacturers. We haven't seen that build (I'm assuming your don't work for Microsoft or a WP device manufacturer).
    04-21-2014 02:13 PM
    The only problem I have is battery life other than that it is all Good
    04-21-2014 02:22 PM
    So far I don't like how IE11 almost always reloads a page after you leave the app. And I HATE that I can't post to Facebook and Twitter at the same time now. My only complaints really
    04-21-2014 02:27 PM
    Also it's never been confirmed that the Dev Preview is the RTM version. Joe Belfiore said that some features of 8.1 (like the updated lock screen) aren't part of the preview build which assuming they aren't being moved out of 8.1 would necessitate another update/build exists.
    From the sounds of it, the lock screen feature is going to be an app release, not an OS update. Joe Belfiore made it sound like they added APIs for a lot of lock screen customization, and this app is just making use of them.

Windows Phone 8.1 is feature locked, done, finished, ready to go. Are there still issues to resolve? Absolutely, and MS will push updates to fix them. But make no mistake, the version we're tinkering with is the one the OEMs got for their developments and testing. It would make no sense for them to not keep them in sync.

The only thing true about a 'Final' Package is that there is really no 'Final' Package...
    This is so true.

As to the question at hand, there are a lot of people who really had no business jumping on the preview. While the core is "Done", the other parts are not. The Xbox Music, Video and Games hubs need some work (but they're apps, so they can be updated on their own), the various "key" apps people use need to be updated to support the new features in 8.1, Cortana still needs some work, they're missing device specific drivers and updates, etc. A lot of people hop on the update and then when it isn't perfect, they freak out. It's a caveat of trying to get the update in the hands of enthusiasts early, some people just aren't technically savvy enough to understand what they're getting into. This isn't everyone complaining obviously, but I've seen my fair share of threads from people who would've been better off waiting.
    herbertsnow likes this.
    04-21-2014 03:25 PM
    What many here fail or refuse to realize is that a lot of the issues are device firmware specific & won't be updated by MS but from the manufacturer of your phone. All of the issues with battery drain, screens, slow waking, wifi, etc, will be addressed by the firmware updates specific to your phone. People really need to understand what they are getting into & see the big picture....

The other stuff with the hubs is not completed yet, you can't & won't know how it will actually work until the OS is released with the updated apps that plug into the hubs. Perfect example was the twitter app that was available for a day. That updated universal app showed where MS is taking the app integration. So just chill for a few more weeks.....
    04-21-2014 03:28 PM
    being in the IT world for 20 years, I have learned my lesson with Betas, and early previews, people who don't like something will say "its in preview, it will change"
    When in reality, 95% of the time, what you see, is exactly what you are getting.
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    04-21-2014 03:45 PM
    Actually I wanna thank you to Microsoft because release this wp8.1
    wp8.1 is awesome, my phone(lumia 720) become so powerful

before update to wp8.1, my lumia had many problems like delay notification in whatsapp and others but after update to wp 8.1, no more delay notification, my internet become faster and the signal very high.
    I can install apps and game in SD card so no more worry about space.
    I can install offline database translator.
    The notification bar is really awesome. I love it.
    I can use Cortana, she is awesome!
    many, many, many, many,,, I can't tell all of them

The only problem is little lag when the os do start menu animation, that's it, no big deal for me. Maybe I suggest Microsoft remove animation for low device :)
    Yea, that's exacly how I feel.
    My Ativ S works like a charm with 8.1 and I really can't get what these people are talking about. No battery issues (maybe you are just playing more with your phone cause you got new toys to play with?), I don't feel there is some functionalities I lost.
    I really can't stand the "2 steps forward, 3 steps backward" sentence. I looks more like "30 steps forward and (maybe) 1 backward" ?

I completely simpathize with the op : what people are showing is not criticism, is blindness.
    04-21-2014 04:17 PM
    One thing I don't understand is these stand alone apps. Now that the system apps(such as music and video) are updateable apps but cannot be removed, all the live tiles suckkkk. I don't even get my notifications from game hub since it doesn't go to action center or show up on live tile. Apple seems to have been able to update their system apps fine(store, etc) but I know they don't have live tiles. That brings me to the notifications thing, I have 7 notification apps, 1 is aerize explorer from store, 1 is email, and the others are the system apps. I have apps such as kik that can't go to notification center even though it gives me toasts. This is annoying because I know the kik app is never going to be updated, and we won't get notifications. Can't they make it so all notifications go to the action center?
    04-21-2014 06:25 PM
    I feel Microsoft is taking one step forward and two steps back. They neutered the peoples hub so that it no longer supports Facebook messaging. They gave us a BETA music player that is so minimalist. Where are the dynamic playlists, or rating system, or support for audiobooks and lectures, why is it so sluggish. However, Microsoft did give us Cortana, which I wont be using that much sense it requires "Locations" to be activated. This takes up a lot of battery energy. In addition, they gave us notifications. Personally, I don't feel the need to use notifications. All the notifications were on live tiles. So having a second area for the notifications seems pointless. I do like the option on notifications to turn on/off certain options, like locations, Bluetooth, and wireless. Lastly, they butchered the photo hub. Now we need to go into apps, such as Facebook or OneDrive in order to see out pictures. I recommended this phone to my sister before the preview was released. Now I feel a little guilty because the messaging integration is what she loved the most. That and the picture hub.

Instead of fixing what was broken, they broken what was fixed.

The one thing I am thrilled about though is their integration with SWYPE or WordFlow as they call it. They nailed that one! :)
    I totally agree with you. The new photos hub is such an utter disappointment. This 8.1 update took away some of the nicest features which wp8 had!
    Please make sure to vote and share this suggestion on the uservoice website! Do not change Photos Hub style in Windows Phone 8.1 – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    04-21-2014 06:44 PM
    Percentage of people that can build a reliable desktop = percentage of people that won't complain.

Those that can't solder, understand ohms law and simple computer I/O will be the ones making the noise.
    Robinsonmac likes this.
    04-21-2014 06:49 PM
    Some people have valid criticisms (in their mind), and some people are experiencing issues that Microsoft does need to address. It doesn't mean these people hate the OS, or are stupid. That's very disrespectful, and speaks more about the people whom are saying such than those that are complaining.

Knowing you're not alone with a bug is also why people try to voice it. Also, how can a bug be found/repaired if everyone spots one and goes meh, it's just a little problem, I can live with it and never reports it?

It's not anyone's job to police or bash those that have issues, or complaints. It should be about seeing if we can help them, acknowledging it exists when and if it does. Then hopefully seeing if we can help the issue to be fixed in the future by making sure it's known.

Think some people are being overly sensitive.
    Last edited by Bearach; 04-21-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Edited to expand on criticism.
    04-21-2014 07:16 PM
    i think battery issues are mainly causing the bad vibe.. ,

For me 2 simple things still not fixed in 8.1 correct me if I am wrong.

1. How do I attach a pdf / other document to email when I am replying to email from phone.
    2. How do I attach a document to email which is not on skydrive or cloud storage?

You would expect that a basic feature for enterprise users , even Microsoft itself, that's why Steve Balmer is now using iPhone himself lol..
    All of you word documents, excel and powerpoint are in your office hub. You can tap and hold on the document and then select "Share" to email the document.
    As for pdf, you can download "pdf reader" from Microsoft and use the "Share" feature to email the pdf. It works with Onedrive integration.
    Last edited by ajayden; 04-21-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added info for pdf sharing
    04-21-2014 07:36 PM
    But make no mistake, the version we're tinkering with is the one the OEMs got for their developments and testing. It would make no sense for them to not keep them in sync.
    Evidence please.

I expect Microsoft produce new builds of WP for internal use at least daily, and there will be test teams working with these new builds continuously.
    04-22-2014 04:49 AM
    I love the 8.1 update but I miss some of the features of the old 8, that include photo and music sections, I like the background image of both the Hubs (I wonder why they are called hub as they are displayed as app in applist) I am almost certain it will come back. People hub (notSoMuch) , I have used to show the dominance of my phone over others but never really used it.
    For people show hate the new 8.1 update, there is hope as new changes will come to you sooner than wp9(but it will have to be debated that it will be loved or hated)
    One more thing. Is the space between tiles increased or just a feeling as a beautiful lady lurks behind my screen?
    04-22-2014 06:19 AM
    even if it is a preview, not much is going to change on the looks
    inteller likes this.
    04-22-2014 06:21 AM
    Evidence please.

I expect Microsoft produce new builds of WP for internal use at least daily, and there will be test teams working with these new builds continuously.
    i think this should help clear things up

Developer Preview Program FAQ - Get Windows Phone 8.1 today - Microsoft Community
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    04-22-2014 07:13 AM
    There is a difference between this build and what the final version bundled with correct firmware update will look like. Firmware update will make 3g, WiFi, GPS, Screen work much better than what we see now. Music hub is an app now, so you should expect more and more updates to make it better than what it was in 8.0 (on coming this Tuesday?) plus more features than 8.0 ever got in a year.

wow you are in for a big ball of disappointment. Firmware can't work miracles, which is what 8.1 needs at this point.
    04-22-2014 07:17 AM
    Because it's people. People are never happy.
    04-22-2014 07:35 AM
    wow you are in for a big ball of disappointment. Firmware can't work miracles, which is what 8.1 needs at this point.
    Stick with your other device then, no ones sticking a gun to your head to use WP.
    04-22-2014 07:38 AM
    Indeed, thanks. That's very helpful.

To quote: "The Developer Preview program gives the developer community early access to new Windows Phone updates. This will give you, as a developer, time to test your apps with new OS versions ahead of the official roll-out. This is only Windows Phone OS updates and does not include manufacturer firmware updates. The update is labeled Preview but is extensively tested and is at least a RTM candidate. This is not a beta program."

Note RTM candidate. It is not necessarily the release to manufacturers for inclusion in products. And given some of the bugs reported, I would be astonished if it was.
    04-22-2014 12:33 PM
    Wow! People still believe that this preview is not the RTM. And yet Microsoft gave review site early access for public review for public consumption.

I bet if Microsoft says this preview is BETA and released it publicly you would still believe this is BETA.

Indeed, thanks. That's very helpful.

To quote: "The Developer Preview program gives the developer community early access to new Windows Phone updates. This will give you, as a developer, time to test your apps with new OS versions ahead of the official roll-out. This is only Windows Phone OS updates and does not include manufacturer firmware updates. The update is labeled Preview but is extensively tested and is at least a RTM candidate. This is not a beta program."

Note RTM candidate. It is not necessarily the release to manufacturers for inclusion in products. And given some of the bugs reported, I would be astonished if it was.
    RTM is RTM. Maybe you're referring to RC.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 04-23-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    04-23-2014 03:15 AM
    WP8.1 reviewed by several websites.

WPCentral
    TheVerge
    PhoneArena
    Anandtech
    Engadget
    CNET
    PocketNow
    IGN
    ETC

Yes this preview is for public consumption, this is the real deal. The "real dev preview" is the Windows Phone SDK, so devs can prepare for the release of Windows Phone 8.1. If you're waiting for the so called "official release" that's the carriers official release and not Microsoft's.

I hate it when a mod of a forum spread wrong info. See page 1 of this thread.
    Either you are not a techy or you are just a kid. Wrong info? Nothing said is wrong. Dev Preview VS Real Deal has been explained in plain words. English.

Read deal is an OS update, tweaked by manufacturers or modified or bulked upon by firmware update. If you want to come along and show me a list of sites that have reviewed "Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview" to highlight features of "Windows Phone 8.1 OS" sure do. But that still doesn't equate to real deal. The real update for general public is an OS+Firmware. RTM - doesn't equate to final version. The full form for RTM is released to manufacturers/for manufacturing. That means the software is ready as it is on Microsoft front. But unless firmware update is bundled by specific OEMs, that OS won't run on hardwares without bugs. Now go and look at stickies on the forum. These stickies have been read post by post by moderating team here and have been evaluated for FREE (yeah, we don't earn money here) for the benefit of community to make it simpler to understand what bugs are in OS, what bugs are firmware related.

So no "official release" is not carrier official release. It is the release from OEMs to carriers then to manufacturers. The work completes when manufacturers, test it, tweak it, make and add new drivers, firmware for each and every hardware running the OS and then it goes to carrier so that they can add their share of radio tweakings to make it compatible with their network and then goes to you, me and everyone else.

Probably, learn to hate less, learn more.

Refer to what I suggested up there. Yes, firmware will fix - glance screen, battery, phone heat up, 3G/4G radios, WiFi, GPS, touch, double tap, speaker sounds etc - these features are out there where people think it is the OS that's broken.

The real problem here is only IE11 and Music Hub that Microsoft needs to fix. Music hub update is in pipeline. IE11, we have to probably wait till GDR1 in July.
    04-23-2014 03:58 AM
    Because WP8 actually grew on us? We got used to WP8 already and when WP8 tries to ape Android and Apple some went bananas.

That is the normal tendency of people. There is no pleasing everyone.
    04-23-2014 04:18 AM
    Wow! People still believe that this preview is not the RTM. And yet Microsoft gave review site early access for public review for public consumption.

I bet if Microsoft says this preview is BETA and released it publicly you would still believe this is BETA.

RTM is RTM. Maybe you're referring to RC.
    I'm referring to the phrase "RTM candidate". But I really can't be bothed with this discussion any more. Let's wait and see whether the final release via manufacturers is identical and contains all the same bugs.
    04-23-2014 05:24 AM
106 12345