Why are so many of you talking badly against WP8.1?

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Percentage of people that can build a reliable desktop = percentage of people that won't complain.

Those that can't solder, understand ohms law and simple computer I/O will be the ones making the noise.:devil:

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Some people have valid criticisms (in their mind), and some people are experiencing issues that Microsoft does need to address. It doesn't mean these people hate the OS, or are stupid. That's very disrespectful, and speaks more about the people whom are saying such than those that are complaining.

Knowing you're not alone with a bug is also why people try to voice it. Also, how can a bug be found/repaired if everyone spots one and goes meh, it's just a little problem, I can live with it and never reports it?

It's not anyone's job to police or bash those that have issues, or complaints. It should be about seeing if we can help them, acknowledging it exists when and if it does. Then hopefully seeing if we can help the issue to be fixed in the future by making sure it's known.

Think some people are being overly sensitive.

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
i think battery issues are mainly causing the bad vibe.. ,

For me 2 simple things still not fixed in 8.1 correct me if I am wrong.

1. How do I attach a pdf / other document to email when I am replying to email from phone.
2. How do I attach a document to email which is not on skydrive or cloud storage?

You would expect that a basic feature for enterprise users , even Microsoft itself, that's why Steve Balmer is now using iPhone himself lol..
All of you word documents, excel and powerpoint are in your office hub. You can tap and hold on the document and then select "Share" to email the document.
As for pdf, you can download "pdf reader" from Microsoft and use the "Share" feature to email the pdf. It works with Onedrive integration.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
But make no mistake, the version we're tinkering with is the one the OEMs got for their developments and testing. It would make no sense for them to not keep them in sync.

Evidence please.

I expect Microsoft produce new builds of WP for internal use at least daily, and there will be test teams working with these new builds continuously.

Shankar chandran S

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I love the 8.1 update but I miss some of the features of the old 8, that include photo and music sections, I like the background image of both the Hubs (I wonder why they are called hub as they are displayed as app in applist) I am almost certain it will come back. People hub (notSoMuch) , I have used to show the dominance of my phone over others but never really used it.
For people show hate the new 8.1 update, there is hope as new changes will come to you sooner than wp9(but it will have to be debated that it will be loved or hated)
One more thing. Is the space between tiles increased or just a feeling as a beautiful lady lurks behind my screen?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference between this build and what the final version bundled with correct firmware update will look like. Firmware update will make 3g, WiFi, GPS, Screen work much better than what we see now. Music hub is an app now, so you should expect more and more updates to make it better than what it was in 8.0 (on coming this Tuesday?) plus more features than 8.0 ever got in a year.

wow you are in for a big ball of disappointment. Firmware can't work miracles, which is what 8.1 needs at this point.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Indeed, thanks. That's very helpful.

To quote: "The Developer Preview program gives the developer community early access to new Windows Phone updates. This will give you, as a developer, time to test your apps with new OS versions ahead of the official roll-out. This is only Windows Phone OS updates and does not include manufacturer firmware updates. The update is labeled Preview but is extensively tested and is at least a RTM candidate. This is not a beta program."

Note RTM candidate. It is not necessarily the release to manufacturers for inclusion in products. And given some of the bugs reported, I would be astonished if it was.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow! People still believe that this preview is not the RTM. And yet Microsoft gave review site early access for public review for public consumption.

I bet if Microsoft says this preview is BETA and released it publicly you would still believe this is BETA. :winktongue:

Indeed, thanks. That's very helpful.

To quote: "The Developer Preview program gives the developer community early access to new Windows Phone updates. This will give you, as a developer, time to test your apps with new OS versions ahead of the official roll-out. This is only Windows Phone OS updates and does not include manufacturer firmware updates. The update is labeled Preview but is extensively tested and is at least a RTM candidate. This is not a beta program."

Note RTM candidate. It is not necessarily the release to manufacturers for inclusion in products. And given some of the bugs reported, I would be astonished if it was.

RTM is RTM. Maybe you're referring to RC.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
WP8.1 reviewed by several websites.

WPCentral
TheVerge
PhoneArena
Anandtech
Engadget
CNET
PocketNow
IGN
ETC

Yes this preview is for public consumption, this is the real deal. The "real dev preview" is the Windows Phone SDK, so devs can prepare for the release of Windows Phone 8.1. If you're waiting for the so called "official release" that's the carriers official release and not Microsoft's.

I hate it when a mod of a forum spread wrong info. See page 1 of this thread.
Either you are not a techy or you are just a kid. Wrong info? Nothing said is wrong. Dev Preview VS Real Deal has been explained in plain words. English.

Read deal is an OS update, tweaked by manufacturers or modified or bulked upon by firmware update. If you want to come along and show me a list of sites that have reviewed "Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview" to highlight features of "Windows Phone 8.1 OS" sure do. But that still doesn't equate to real deal. The real update for general public is an OS+Firmware. RTM - doesn't equate to final version. The full form for RTM is released to manufacturers/for manufacturing. That means the software is ready as it is on Microsoft front. But unless firmware update is bundled by specific OEMs, that OS won't run on hardwares without bugs. Now go and look at stickies on the forum. These stickies have been read post by post by moderating team here and have been evaluated for FREE (yeah, we don't earn money here) for the benefit of community to make it simpler to understand what bugs are in OS, what bugs are firmware related.

So no "official release" is not carrier official release. It is the release from OEMs to carriers then to manufacturers. The work completes when manufacturers, test it, tweak it, make and add new drivers, firmware for each and every hardware running the OS and then it goes to carrier so that they can add their share of radio tweakings to make it compatible with their network and then goes to you, me and everyone else.

Probably, learn to hate less, learn more.

wow you are in for a big ball of disappointment. Firmware can't work miracles, which is what 8.1 needs at this point.

Refer to what I suggested up there. Yes, firmware will fix - glance screen, battery, phone heat up, 3G/4G radios, WiFi, GPS, touch, double tap, speaker sounds etc - these features are out there where people think it is the OS that's broken.

The real problem here is only IE11 and Music Hub that Microsoft needs to fix. Music hub update is in pipeline. IE11, we have to probably wait till GDR1 in July.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Because WP8 actually grew on us? We got used to WP8 already and when WP8 tries to ape Android and Apple some went bananas.

That is the normal tendency of people. There is no pleasing everyone.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow! People still believe that this preview is not the RTM. And yet Microsoft gave review site early access for public review for public consumption.

I bet if Microsoft says this preview is BETA and released it publicly you would still believe this is BETA. :winktongue:

RTM is RTM. Maybe you're referring to RC.

I'm referring to the phrase "RTM candidate". But I really can't be bothed with this discussion any more. Let's wait and see whether the final release via manufacturers is identical and contains all the same bugs.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I've read a lot of the threads in this forum, and I don't see why everyone is ******** about Windows Phone 8.1.
It's improved in almost every aspect imo, the only thing I don't like is the lag on the start screen, but since as how this is not an RTM release, what can you expect?

Not in every aspect.
They downgraded few things or make it worse.(Music and Pic)
and some are facing weird bugs problem
and
some expected few features that might come with WP8.1 but MS disappoint them.

So, that is why users are badly talking about WP8.1.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Not in every aspect.

They downgraded few things or make it worse.(Music and Pic)

and some are facing weird bugs problem

and

some expected few features that might come with WP8.1 but MS disappoint them.

So, that is why users are badly talking about WP8.1.

I don't use music app on my WP as I use only Nokia's MixRadio, but I use the pic hub a lot.

The picture hub had no big change. Facebook and Onedrive photos are still available. In fact, in WP8, the albums section did not segregate photos into local and online. In WP8.1, this is neatly implemented.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't use music app on my WP as I use only Nokia's MixRadio, but I use the pic hub a lot.

The picture hub had no big change. Facebook and Onedrive photos are still available. In fact, in WP8, the albums section did not segregate photos into local and online. In WP8.1, this is neatly implemented.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

I was not talking about you my friend.

It was about XBOX music. They made it slow and sluggish.
Pic Gallery UI was very AWESOME in WP8. It was very unique(in some way), but they made UI like a crap in WP8.1

mark nt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I hope they fix the xbox music app, on the official release...somethings I like about 8.1 but have to say I like wp8 better, just glad I only updated my spare phone.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even notice the pic hub changes until I read about them on here. I suspect many users might be the same. That stinks about XBox Music though, sorry it's slower. I've never used it personally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss