Update of Music app out today?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Even if it comes from the store it will be OTA.

OTA = Over The Air. As opposed to having to plug in the cell phone to update software. OTA does not equate to OS update.

And yes, it will come from the store, not as an OS update. That was the point of separating the app from the OS.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Even if it comes from the store it will be OTA.

OTA = Over The Air. As opposed to having to plug in the cell phone to update software. OTA does not equate to OS update.

And yes, it will come from the store, not as an OS update. That was the point of separating the app from the OS.

yes, but OTA generally refers to OS updates, store updates are just updates

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, personally I am not a fan of using terminology incorrectly. That's how people become uneducated and communications become unclear.

Everyone knew perfectly well what was referred to in this case. App/store updates are pretty much always OTA so the clarification is not necessary, OS updates were different not that long ago. So not sure what exactly was unclear

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Disagree. It simply means Over The Air... OS updates, app updates, adding music to your device... doesn't matter.

so when an app/game/etc store update is announced how often do you hear someone saying "Facebook update is now live OTA"? Usually OTA is mentioned when referring to OS updates. Technically speaking you and Nimdock are correct. I'm talking about how this typically tends to get used.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well considering how every other basic feature of the update works, I don't know why you would expect Music to not work AT ALL.

I'd have to disagree that basic features are working considering Wi-Fi is a no go (works but crashes as soon as the phone falls asleep and a few minutes later takes the whole phone with it causing a reboot) for most HTC and a few Nokia phones.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
For the people complaining, why not just go back to 8.0

Also you should have seen the mess Google made of the kitkat update, and that wasn't a preview. Took weeks to get it half sorted out so I don't think Microsoft is doing too bad.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
it's interesting to see so many people so frustrated with whatever changes (or not changes) with WP and still sticking with it. It's a love-hate relationship :smile:

A lot of people are invested in the ecosystem. That's why you see people who have spent $500 on a new phone get an update and realize they don't have functioning apps and that the whole polish of the OS went down two notches. It's disheartening especially when you don't have money to change or are stuck in a contract. Also, your argument about look how iOS and Android were after 2 years is flawed because Microsoft is not competing with 2 year old iOS, they are competing with 7 year old iOS. Microsoft was late to the game by 4 years, so if they want to compete, they have to be playing at the level that iOS and Android are playing at right now.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
For the people complaining, why not just go back to 8.0

Also you should have seen the mess Google made of the kitkat update, and that wasn't a preview. Took weeks to get it half sorted out so I don't think Microsoft is doing too bad.

Complaining about music app? Not so much. Complaining about no Wi-Fi? That's a big deal. Give me the GDR2 RUU from HTC for my phone, and I will go back.

I'll wait.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
When I got 8.1 I did so knowing that it WOULD have problems and that some of them could be serious ones. No one is making people download the update. It's not like they bought a phone with 8.0 and Microsoft sent an automatic update to their phones.

Someone posted last week that if Microsoft had of charged for the update it would have stopped every Tom **** and Harry form getting it and in doing so it would stop a lot of people that don't seem to understand what the preview is.

The more I look at the posts all over the site the more I agree with him.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
When I got 8.1 I did so knowing that it WOULD have problems and that some of them could be serious ones. No one is making people download the update. It's not like they bought a phone with 8.0 and Microsoft sent an automatic update to their phones.

Someone posted last week that if Microsoft had of charged for the update it would have stopped every Tom **** and Harry form getting it and in doing so it would stop a lot of people that don't seem to understand what the preview is.

The more I look at the posts all over the site the more I agree with him.

There is some serious misinformation here. Microsoft stated over and over again that the Dev preview is FINAL. This is not a beta. Same with the GDR3 release on dev preview. No one expected there to be problems. If you did, then you were misinformed or not reading the right information. Now that there are problems, Microsoft is finally trying to make up on the bad rep by saying the apps aren't final and they are continuing to work on them. Which is good...but regardless, it is fact that the dev preview is the final version that is going out on the 930 and 630. Now if they realize that there are big screwups in their final code, then that's their problem and good for them for going back and attempting to fix/change things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon