home screen tile size

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if I am seeing things or not, but after updating to 8.1 preview, I noticed right away that the tiles didn't look quite the same. There is a decent amount of empty space down either side of the area the tiles take up. Initially I thought the tiles weren't square, but they are so nothings been squashed, just maybe reduced in size a little all-round? Again not 100% sure about this!

It just seems odd now, its really bugging me. All that screen real-estate (1520) and they aren't using it all!

Also, the top bar of notifications.... I have an icon that looks a bit like a newspaper? white block with 3 horizontal lines in it. What does that mean?

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if I am seeing things or not, but after updating to 8.1 preview, I noticed right away that the tiles didn't look quite the same. There is a decent amount of empty space down either side of the area the tiles take up. Initially I thought the tiles weren't square, but they are so nothings been squashed, just maybe reduced in size a little all-round? Again not 100% sure about this!

It just seems odd now, its really bugging me. All that screen real-estate (1520) and they aren't using it all!

Also, the top bar of notifications.... I have an icon that looks a bit like a newspaper? white block with 3 horizontal lines in it. What does that mean?

As far as the icon goes.. It is indicating that you have notifications :) just swipe down from the top part of the screen to access your notification center

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
amabamum.png

Are you talking about this ?

Sent from my RM-941_im_india_204 using Tapatalk

karl11

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
This allows you add the third row of tiles. You can turn this on by going to setting, the themes, and scroll to the bottom of the page and turn it on.

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
see above. I already have 3 tiles across :)

I guess there is nothing wrong per-se I just never noticed the border around the tiles. I'll soon forget it, but it must have changed because I noticed it right away (annoyingly I am very perceptive of little changes like that, I wish I wasn't!)

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
see above. I already have 3 tiles across :)

I guess there is nothing wrong per-se I just never noticed the border around the tiles. I'll soon forget it, but it must have changed because I noticed it right away (annoyingly I am very perceptive of little changes like that, I wish I wasn't!)

Oh I see well changes are made for the better 😝

Sent from my RM-941_im_india_204 using Tapatalk

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The scaling of the tiles and other UI elements were changed in 8.1 for 1080p displays, or just the 1520, i'm not sure yet.

In 8.0 the left and right borders on the start screen were equal to the space in between the tiles. The status bar was pretty large for a 6" screen.
nokia-lumia-1520-screenshot.png

In 8.1 this was changed. The borders on each side now match 2 column mode on other devices (a little thicker). The status bar is now properly scaled for large screens.
pVZZFGZ.png

The odd thing is that when I use 3 column mode on my 820 the side borders are the same as they used to be on the 1520 (equal to the space between the tiles).

Does the 1520 have the option to use 2 column mode? I'd love to see how that looks.

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
The scaling of the tiles and other UI elements were changed in 8.1 for 1080p displays, or just the 1520, i'm not sure yet.

In 8.0 the left and right borders on the start screen were equal to the space in between the tiles. The status bar was pretty large for a 6" screen.
View attachment 64468

In 8.1 this was changed. The borders on each side now match 2 column mode on other devices (a little thicker). The status bar is now properly scaled for large screens.
View attachment 64470

The odd thing is that when I use 3 column mode on my 820 the side borders are the same as they used to be on the 1520 (equal to the space between the tiles).

Does the 1520 have the option to use 2 column mode? I'd love to see how that looks.

Thank you Kram. This is exactly what I noticed. I noticed that menu bars and the slide up option bars etc, are nicer in size and the fonts are nicer. But that outer border is a little too thick for my aesthetic tastes. Maybe they'll give it a final fettle before alls official.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I noticed it as well... Seems odd that when you ask the screen to display more tiles across, it increases the left and right hand margins.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2