04-28-2014 02:27 PM
58 123
tools
    Windows Phone is in awful condition if it can't play music competently. Dev preview or not. That's up with being able to take pictures, make phone calls, send texts, and write e-mails. It's just something every smartphone should be able to do with ease. It's not like NFC tagging or doube-tap-to-wake. It's not a gimmick. If even one of these ubiquitous features don't work as they should, it severely cripples its usability and puts it light years behind Android, iOS and even Blackberry.
    You're failing in not understand what WP8.1 Dev Preview is .

- Dev Preview IS for developers
    - Dev Preview IS a preview
    - Dev Preview is not intented for all people
    - Dev Preview is not WP8.1 final experience (and I know that WP8.1 core is finished)

If you can't understand that, and can't to differentiate between what a Preview software is compared to finalized software, sorry, but you're wrong.

EDIT: "Windows Phone is in awful condition if it can't play music competently."

Too much hyperbole...
    04-28-2014 01:13 PM
    But guys that's a darn simple thing, playing local music. And it's not like they debuted the app with 8.1.. They had the app since a year, and still couldn't make it usable. How many days is a beta stage for an app? certainly not a year..
    04-28-2014 01:29 PM
    Clearly music is a passion for so many people and not having an optimal experience or having a frustrating time when all you're trying to do is unwind and listen to some music really gets people riled up.

Here's what you need to understand. Microsoft didn't update the Music Hub at all in regard to core functionality since WP8's release, with the exception of adding the FM radio option. This is because updating the hub would have meant issuing a carrier-wide OS update and would have prevented some dev's working on the WP core features from adding the features we love and are beginning to see pop up today.

How are Microsoft combating this?

They're moving the Windows platform as a whole to a universal platform, with apps sharing a code base. They're trying to make the Music app the same on every windows platform. What we're witnessing with the WP 8.1 Developer Preview is the first step towards making this happen. By making the Music app a separate app that can be individually updated, and is quite obviously a mobile version of the same Music app on Windows 8.1. Microsoft have said they're going to update this new app regularly - and let's be honest they're going to update it until it's basically the same as it's bigger brother on WP 8.1.

The team at Microsoft seem to be really paying attention to customer feedback and have even gone out and said "This is what we're working to adding on the Music app" to give us some transparency here. I'm confident that if we keep the criticism constructive, we will see a Music app that is a direct result of the things we're feeding back. We're going to see this situation getting better and I'm probably going to regret saying this but you really do need to have a little patience.

Here endeth the lesson.
    04-28-2014 01:31 PM
    But guys that's a darn simple thing, playing local music. And it's not like they debuted the app with 8.1.. They had the app since a year, and still couldn't make it usable. How many days is a beta stage for an app? certainly not a year..
    I can play local music, everyday I've played my local music.

Issues? well, not here but I understand that some devices can have issues, but again, it is a preview software, and in less than 2 weeks they will release an update.
    04-28-2014 01:32 PM
    Clearly music is a passion for so many people and not having an optimal experience or having a frustrating time when all you're trying to do is unwind and listen to some music really gets people riled up.

Here's what you need to understand. Microsoft didn't update the Music Hub at all in regard to core functionality since WP8's release, with the exception of adding the FM radio option. This is because updating the hub would have meant issuing a carrier-wide OS update and would have prevented some dev's working on the WP core features from adding the features we love and are beginning to see pop up today.

How are Microsoft combating this?

They're moving the Windows platform as a whole to a universal platform, with apps sharing a code base. They're trying to make the Music app the same on every windows platform. What we're witnessing with the WP 8.1 Developer Preview is the first step towards making this happen. By making the Music app a separate app that can be individually updated, and is quite obviously a mobile version of the same Music app on Windows 8.1. Microsoft have said they're going to update this new app regularly - and let's be honest they're going to update it until it's basically the same as it's bigger brother on WP 8.1.

The team at Microsoft seem to be really paying attention to customer feedback and have even gone out and said "This is what we're working to adding on the Music app" to give us some transparency here. I'm confident that if we keep the criticism constructive, we will see a Music app that is a direct result of the things we're feeding back. We're going to see this situation getting better and I'm probably going to regret saying this but you really do need to have a little patience.

Here endeth the lesson.
    Bravo! At least I can see some people understand how Microsoft want a ecosystem.
    04-28-2014 01:35 PM
    I can play local music, everyday I've played my local music.

Issues? well, not here but I understand that some devices can have issues, but again, it is a preview software, and in less than 2 weeks they will release an update.
    Actually I also play music everyday, not much of a problem. But I always play first song of my choice and put the whole songs list on shuffle.. But the problem is, fr ex. If I play a song that starts with Y, the phone will shuffle only the songs starting with W, X, Y, Z, and not the whole library. This is frustrating. And I have started using MixRadio now. Nonetheless the UI is so supercool.. But the Xbox music app sounds better with headphones..
    TonyDedrick likes this.
    04-28-2014 02:14 PM
    This is my frustration with WP, there lack of concern for the music app. Its obvious they(MS) never used Zune software. Its almost as if they don't want to succeed in mobile, from exclusivity deals, lack of apps not one real flagship phone. Not only that, why are the 630,930 and 1320 not released on every carrier in the U.S.??? I'm starting to think MS should give up on WP and make their own Android version. There a software company that can't even make a music app??? WTF???? #bringbackzune
    04-28-2014 02:24 PM
    As great as this thread is, we're getting lot's of great discussion about the Music app on the Developer Preview but the problem is these great insights or discussions are lost between lot's of duplicate threads across the forums. As such we're trying to get all the discussion, tips and tricks and even the frustrations in one place so everyone can discuss and benefit.

Please use this thread for everything Music in the Preview: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ic-thread.html

Thanks for understanding.
    Guytronic and Xpider_MX like this.
    04-28-2014 02:27 PM
58 123