A microsoft file manager means ,OTG support also

kullu123

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
since Microsoft has confirmed there official file manager in end of may , Does it also conclude an OTG support as there would be different drives shown as in the picture below.
1KTIT4F - Imgur.png

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as they haven't mentioned anything about USB OTG anywhere, nor has anyone found anything anywhere in the OS about it, I'd say that OTG support is *NOT* included with 8.1.

Later updates, maybe, but I'm doubtful it's in this one.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me for being clueless, but what is OTG?

USB On-The-Go. Basically allows mobile devices to act as both hosts (I.E: Your desktop computer) and as peripherals (I.E: A flash drive). In essence, having it enabled would allow you (via an adapter, of course) to plug in USB devices to your phone. Android has supported this for many years (and so does iOS, but only to an extremely limited degree). Peripherals that can be used (assuming the OS and/or app(s) being utilized support it) includes, but certainly isn't limited too: Mice, keyboards, game controllers, head-sets, flash drives, cameras, etc.

So in essence, you phone can become a host for using such peripherals On-The-Go (hence the name), but still then be able to switch back to being a peripheral once connected to another host (I.E: your desktop or laptop).

Very useful, hope they add support with future hardware and/or software updates.

kullu123

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as they haven't mentioned anything about USB OTG anywhere, nor has anyone found anything anywhere in the OS about it, I'd say that OTG support is *NOT* included with 8.1.

Later updates, maybe, but I'm doubtful it's in this one.
It is assumed for OTG in the windows phone 8.1 file explorer as in android also when an pendrive is connected it is shown as a drive in file explorer (my files in Samsung mobile).

LordIzzy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't include OTG support. This seems like it would be something really easy to add, and would give those of us who have phones like the Lumia 925 a simple solution to expand storage space.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well one also wonders why it took them so long to give us the Action Center, or separate volume controls, or swipe to closer apps, or... You get the idea.

We're dealing with MS here. Everyone knows they're the lumbering giants of the tech world.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Let's assume OTG will come in the official release of 8.1. Does that also mean support for external DACs, or is something else needed?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
OTG might or might not be added. But adding it will bring down the battery performance considerably. Then lot of us will be blaming MS for the battery drain. It's a vicious cycle.

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Let's assume OTG will come in the official release of 8.1. Does that also mean support for external DACs, or is something else needed?

The Developer Preview is, effectively, the final version. When carriers release their firmware updates starting this summer, contained within might be stuff such as bug fixes, optimizations and stability enhancements, but no new features until Update 1.

LordIzzy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Well one also wonders why it took them so long to give us the Action Center, or separate volume controls, or swipe to closer apps, or... You get the idea.

We're dealing with MS here. Everyone knows they're the lumbering giants of the tech world.
Yeah you're right and I have never understood why that is. With the resources that MS has at their disposal how in the the world can they be so behind the times and ineffective with releasing cutting edge products, updates, etc. I mean some of the stuff missing from WP are relatively simple things.

I just don't understand what takes them so long and why most of the stuff they release is always so buggy. It must be something to do with their corporate culture because they have more money than God and could easily hire the best of the best. I really do like WP and think it could be a real contender for at least the #2 spot if only MS would get their act together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre