Can I install the developer preview on more than one device?

amf78

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This might be a dumb question--I signed up for the developer preview program and installed 8.1 on my Lumia 822. I am upgrading this week to the Lumia Icon, will I be able to install 8.1 on that device after I activate it? I won't be using the 822 anymore. Anything special I need to do?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I installed it on 2 devices logged in with the same Microsoft account. You shouldn't have any issues.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, when you set up your new phone, use the same Microsoft ID. If you restore from backup and let it reinstall your apps, it should install Preview for Developers. You will just need to launch this app and enable preview. You should then be able to download 8.1. Or you can manually download and install Preview for Developers again.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Also I did this, I never noticed before, but all of my texts are showing up on my inactivated phone... no idea how or why.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Also I did this, I never noticed before, but all of my texts are showing up on my inactivated phone... no idea how or why.

I believe Windows Phone syncs/backs-up text messages through OneDrive backup or so.
There should be an option in the relevant settings panel.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I believe Windows Phone syncs/backs-up text messages through OneDrive backup or so.
There should be an option in the relevant settings panel.

Yes, Settings/Backup and this option can be enabled or disabled. They are backed up to the Microsoft account the phone is connected with. In fact, you can force them to sync by going into the E-Mail+Accounts settings but they generally will do so on their own within a few hours. Any phone using the same Microsoft account connected to the Internet via WiFi is able to sync, regardless of whether the phone/SIM is activated or not.

amf78

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everybody! Icon arrived today. I had to go in to the store and download Preview for Developers again--for some reason it didn't show up in my app list on the new phone--but once I did that, went through the steps and worked like a charm. Didn't realize how much I was liking 8.1 until I thought I might not be able to get it back :)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
One step further, I installed 8.1 on my phone, my wife's and her sister's as well. The phones are setup with different MS accounts of course, just had to sign in to the preview app with my id instead of theirs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium