Any wp8 system in place to print photos directly to a home printer without a computer?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Just as the title says. My wife wants to print photos from her phone directly to a printer. Bonus if it is a 4x6 photo printer. She finds it very annoying and frustrating to download photos to her surface to print. Thanks!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Brother MFC-J625DW. It is a WiFi printer. It has a tray for 4x6 photo paper.
The app is Brother iPrint&Scan. It prints pictures directly from my Lumia 920, scans documents to OneDrive and print documents from OneDrive.
Check the Brother site for supported printers.
The printer is OK. From the desktop I haven't figured out why some documents print fast and some print slow.

Just looked, my printer is already out the door and has been replaced by the MFC-J650DW $119 at newegg.
Supported Brother printers
Print from Windows Phone – Brother iPrint&Scan

Last edited:

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Cool thanks for that. I didn't know brother had such an app. I know it has a 4x6 tray, but can you print a 4x6 directly from the app? Or is it always expecting a letter sized sheet?

What would be ideal is a tiny photo printer, like a canon selphy. Are there any solutions to print directly to a dedicated 4x6 printer?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Sweet, in my research, just found something pretty cool! The LG PD239 pocket printer! Looks like is just recently was released. Just in time, because the previous version only supported iOS and Android.

LG PD239 Pocket Photo 2 | LG Singapore

LG-PD239.jpg

LG-PD239b.jpg

Prints 2x3 photos directly and wirelessly from any Windows Phone 8 handset. Awesome! This will work great for my wife, even if the print size is a little small. I just checked out the WP store and sure enough, there is an LG Pocket Photo app there ready to connect to the PD239.

Note: do NOT buy the PD221 or PD233 as those are NOT compatible with WP.

Bummer is that the NFC function only works on Android. What gives? Though I can't complain I guess with a Bluetooth connection available for WP.

Just ordered one straight from Korea. Will report on how well it works.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
have you looked into the hp eprint devices, you can email them a file and they will print it

I actually have, but have shied away from cloud printing solutions. I want DIRECT printing. I don't want to depend on an internet connection in order to print from my phone. Heck, this little LG printer runs on batteries! So even in a power failure, I can print photos from my phone, not that it would ever happen, but it's possible. Also, the portability of this thing is amazing! You can bring it to a party and print stuff off right on the spot. No wires, no plugs. I think LG really has got a great product in their lineup here.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I actually have, but have shied away from cloud printing solutions. I want DIRECT printing. I don't want to depend on an internet connection in order to print from my phone. Heck, this little LG printer runs on batteries! So even in a power failure, I can print photos from my phone, not that it would ever happen, but it's possible. Also, the portability of this thing is amazing! You can bring it to a party and print stuff off right on the spot. No wires, no plugs. I think LG really has got a great product in their lineup here.

got ya I may have misread what you were looking for.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Cool thanks for that. I didn't know brother had such an app. I know it has a 4x6 tray, but can you print a 4x6 directly from the app? Or is it always expecting a letter sized sheet?

What would be ideal is a tiny photo printer, like a canon selphy. Are there any solutions to print directly to a dedicated 4x6 printer?

A little late, but printing photos from the phone uses the 4x6 tray. You print a document and you get a 8.5x11.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
A little late, but printing photos from the phone uses the 4x6 tray. You print a document and you get a 8.5x11.

That's good to know. If I need a direct 4x6 printer, it looks like Brother is my only real option. The bonus looks like you can print documents straight from your phone too. That is awesome.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, I received the printer from Korea to Canada in like 1.5 days! Crazy!

Took it for a test spin, and it works like a charm! No quirks or anything, it just worked with no hiccups. You turn it on, pair it in your phone's Bluetooth menu, then whenever you want to print, you just open the app and let 'er rip! It's beautiful, and super simple to use and setup. My wife is absolutely thrilled!

I believe this is the first printer of it's kind for Windows Phone, so I'm looking forward to what else comes in the future!

The print quality is decent. Not amazing, but quite good. Being a professional photographer, I'm probably overly critical of print quality, but in any case, it is more than adequate for my casual needs. The print size is 2x3.

Here is a video of it in action on my wife's Lumia 920! Just know that I have sped up the footage to make it short and painless to watch. Going from the moment I touched the LG Pocket Photo live tile, to a completed print took me 1.5 minutes. Of course, if you start editing the photo in the LG app, it will take longer. But I was going for pure speed.

(for some reason, at the moment I'm writing this post, the video isn't playing at the default 360p)

Highly recommended!

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I thought about this but the quality isn't that good and it doesn't print 4x6... all of our picture frames around the house are 4x6. Any idea of something that prints 4x6 and at least has good quality? Trying to replace this hp compact photo printer. Want something wireless that does just as good as the hp. haven't found one... at least not one as small and works with wp8 and w8.1 pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes