Are muffled phone calls improved with 8.1 update?

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has noticed any improvement regarding call quality with the 8.1 update. My calls are "muffled". I have until Thursday to return the phone. It's a bit disappointing, given-the-fact, I really favor the Icon. Call clarity is important especially when holding a conversation with a stroke victim.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has noticed any improvement regarding call quality with the 8.1 update. My calls are "muffled". I have until Thursday to return the phone. It's a bit disappointing, given-the-fact, I really favor the Icon. Call clarity is important especially when holding a conversation with a stroke victim.

I've never had a muffled call.

How's your reception? How many bars do you have? If your reception is good, there's a good chance your phone is defective. It's not an Icon thing, it's a your phone thing.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Generally 3 bars. I also noticed I rarely get LTE, just 3G.

It may be worth it to reach out to Verizon and let them know about your weak coverage. They can be a real pain to deal with sometimes, but it sounds like a network problem more than a hardware problem. Nokia devices, Icon included, are known for great call quality.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I mentioned this problem a couple of weeks ago and caused a whole storm of controversy.
The link is here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/281278-i-had-my-daughter-talked-into-icon-but.html

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In reviews posted, particularly CNET, the tests indicated muffled calls.

CNET is the only worthwhile reviewer that reported that. It has much more to do with your reception and less with the design and technology of the Icon. If it's not your reception, then it's a defective piece of hardware.

See the below quotes to prove my point.

Whoa, the call quality performance of the Nokia Lumia Icon is almost perfect!
- Nokia Lumia Icon Review - Call Quality, Battery and Conclusion

Call quality is above average, which shouldn't come as a surprise to most Verizon customers...
- Nokia Lumia Icon review: a big step forward for Windows Phone

I tested call quality in New York City, again pitting the Icon against the Galaxy S4, which we've found has consistently great call quality. I held both smartphones to my face at the same time and left an identical voicemail with each. Transmissions through the Icon's mic sounded very full with a bit more low-end than the S4. I noticed a bit more static on the line with the Icon, though, and my voice sounded a touch nasal, while the S4 preserved a more natural-sounding tone.
- Nokia Lumia Icon (Verizon Wireless) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Call quality on the Nokia Lumia Icon was great, on par with other Verizon devices I've used in the past. There was no crackling or noise during calls, and using the device on speakerphone delivered crisp and clear voice quality.
- Verizon Nokia Lumia Icon Review

Call quality will obviously vary by location, depending on your proximity to Verizon’s cell-phone network. I noticed little difference in call quality between the Icon and the Galaxy Note 3, based on a voice mail I left myself. Other callers who I spoke to didn’t prefer one phone over the other.
- Nokia Lumia Icon review: The best Windows Phone so far | PCWorld

Call quality has far more to do with your carrier and signal strength than the phone itself. Since this is a Verizon phone, and Verizon is a very solid network in the San Francisco Bay Area, you'd be correct in guessing that call quality was excellent. Calls from our friends sounded loud and clear, and they reported the same of us.
- Nokia Lumia Icon review: Cal quality and battery life | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

Phone calls through the earpiece, which is how most people will use the Icon, were above average for smartphones and on par with Nokia’s other Lumias, that is excellent. Reception was fine, with no dropped calls or issues noted during my testing.
- http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-icon-review

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
FWIW ...
In 6 weeks since purchasing the Icon (8.0, not 8.1 yet), I've had numerous conversations with several different people and yet to have a 'muffed' call. On the contrary ... crystal clear.
I typically have 2-3 bars of 4G LTE.
​===

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Ditto on the positive reviews here. I've had my Icon for a week and while I don't spend every waking hour on the phone, the calls are crystal clear.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
While I do have other minor issues with WP8.1.
Muffled calls is not one of them. Calls are fantastic, in fact, Speaker calls are the best I have had on any phone.
Both my Wife and I have Icon's and neither of them have call issues.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Muffled calls are not from the OS...they could either be from bad reception or a microphone disturbance/failure of some kind.

Last edited:

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So there is some small percentage that is having a problem with this but no one has a definite answer. My daughter tried 2 Icons and they were both muffled the SG5 was fine though from the same location.

So either both units had a hardware problem or if it was a reception problem the SG5 was not effected by it. Note this Verizon store does not have the best service available.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
My titan suffered from antennagate problems where calls were muffled whenever I got home from work (lived outside of the city where reception was not that great).

swervinsuburban

May 9, 2014
Visit site
My icon sometimes has muffled calls but it seems to be from bad reception because their pretty clear other times. I would suggest just testing it out in different areas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon