Bing Maps traffic data dead wrong

Pocket PC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been on WP 7.5 for a while on my HTC Titan II. Been using the native Bing maps for traffic since I got the phone and it's always been a good indicator of traffic, even if it slightly lags Google maps (I can see the colors better on Bing maps). For the last couple weeks it went from slightly lagging Google maps to just dead wrong to the point of being useless.

I live in the San Jose, CA area and commute to Campbell, CA. This is the heart of the silicon valley and there is ALWAYS traffic in the mornings and in the evenings. Bing maps for the last couple weeks has been showing green for traffic in the peak commute hours (morning and evenings) with a little yellow here and there, while Google maps accurately displays the orange and mostly red that is normal for the area (say 8-9 AM Monday - Friday).

So.. what the heck happened to Bing maps traffic? Did Microsoft change map data providers? Did they break their own app? Did they just not renew the service with their provider and are trying to make up data? Oversubscribed? It's really a shame it's no longer working as it's one of the most used apps on my phone and now it's useless.

I have no idea where or who to complain to.

Still on the fence about sticking with WP and this is not a good indicator of quality or commitment. (nor was the complete abandonment of early WP adopters, but that's another rant.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
My traffic variation is showing fine today on a Samsung Focus. I also used it last week to select the best route to drive through Chicago. Have you tried varying the pinch-zoom? Sometimes I lose the traffic indicators in momentarily in certain pinch-zoom levels, but it restores when I vary the zoom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa