Xbox Video .. how do I so something simple like ..

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
.. delete a file from the phone to free up space? it says it's going to remove it from everywhere ? WTH?

also how do I actually get shows i've PAID for onto the device by NOT downloading to each and every device - can't I just copy the file over using USB and let the DRM take care of it - kinda like iTunes .. seems pretty crappy to me I need to keep downloading redundant data to get to my stuff....

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Sorry to hear about your issues.

For deleting videos, as far as I know you just long tap on the video and then tap delete. That should just remove from your phone and not elsewhere.

In terms of paid for shows, where are they and what device are you trying to get them on to? For transferring Xbox Video content from PC to Windows Phone you should just be able to copy the file to the Video folder on your phone - have you tried that??

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Sorry to hear about your issues.

For deleting videos, as far as I know you just long tap on the video and then tap delete. That should just remove from your phone and not elsewhere.

In terms of paid for shows, where are they and what device are you trying to get them on to? For transferring Xbox Video content from PC to Windows Phone you should just be able to copy the file to the Video folder on your phone - have you tried that??

there is no option to remove just the file from the device - the only option I see is "remove episode from collection"

long pressing the episode on the episode list does nothing ..

oh and trying to add the video from the windows phone desktop app on 8.1 says - this file is protected .. blah blah blah

So many bugs - right across the infrastructure ... it's kinda sad really.

i'll try to copy the file manually over using explorer - but I have little to no faith this will work at this point - the whole xbox music / video service seems so disjointed at the moment

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm downloading a show on my phone now to double check but I'm pretty sure when you delete it, it just deletes from your phone. The best way I know to view content on multiple devices is to just stream it to the device I'm on, regardless if it's a PC, xbox or WP. If I want to watch it offline or on the go, I download it on my phone and watch it while I'm out. You may need to download it on the respective platform you're using, but there shouldn't need to be anything more than just that.

I'll let you know how my test run goes. I'm at work, so it may not be the quickest update.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
thanks - but here is another issue i encountered - it's not possible to download a single episode once you purchase a season pass !!

I don't have enough space to hold an entire season on the phone, so offline viewing is basically useless

oh and remove from collection - really is that .. no way to delete stuff from the phone ..

wp_ss_20140519_0001.png

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
so copying to it from explorer did not work . tells me the file is protected ..

so basically they've completely made this app something useless

once you buy a season pass you have to download the *entire* season pass - not able to download individual episodes at a time

not able to download once and copy over to the phone - DRM stops you

only option is to stream single episodes which uses up Wi-Fi data (which might be capped) - not able to just download a couple of episodes for offline viewing - i.e. on a flight

Rubbish ..

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
thanks - but here is another issue i encountered - it's not possible to download a single episode once you purchase a season pass !!

I don't have enough space to hold an entire season on the phone, so offline viewing is basically useless

oh and remove from collection - really is that .. no way to delete stuff from the phone ..

View attachment 66946

Hi as far as I know, 'Remove from Collection' means removing from your phone. It will not remove your purchase from the XBox account, only from the phone collection. 'And in all other Xbox apps' means from all the XBox apps on your phone.

However I suggest that you contact XBox or WP support to confirm the same.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
so copying to it from explorer did not work . tells me the file is protected ..

Not sure if it still works or not (been a while since I tried), If you are using windows 8, try copying it from the xbox video app, with phone connected open up the charms bar, then select share and pick your phone

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it still works or not (been a while since I tried), If you are using windows 8, try copying it from the xbox video app, with phone connected open up the charms bar, then select share and pick your phone

nope that also fails - the file is protected ..

JNaDa

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
If you downloaded the video directly to your phone from the Xbox Video marketplace, you simply follow these directions:
1. Tap on the desired show.
2. Tap on the desired season.
3. Tap on the desired episode.
4. At the bottom of your screen, you'll have three visible options presented as icons from left to right: "pin", "streaming", and "share". Tap "streaming".
5. You'll then get a popup with two choices: "ok" and "cancel". Tap "ok".

Your video is now deleted from your phone, yet still in your collection.

To download an individual episode (even though you have the season pass):
*CAUTION: If you are not connected to Wi-Fi or do not have an unlimited data, DO NOT DO THIS!*
1. Connect your phone to a charger
2. Tap on the desired show.
3. Tap on the desired season.
4. Tap on the desired episode.
5. At the bottom of your screen, you'll have three visible options presented as icons from left to right: "pin", "download", and "share". Tap "download".
6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 for more episodes.

As for downloading your Xbox Video purchase on your computer, then transferring to your phone, I'm not sure how that process works. The videos downloaded to your PC are much larger than the ones downloaded to your phone. For example, Frozen is 6+ GB on PC (if I remember correctly), but on your phone it's only 1.6 GB (again, if I remember correctly - I know it's definitely somewhere between 1 and 2).

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
If you downloaded the video directly to your phone from the Xbox Video marketplace, you simply follow these directions:
1. Tap on the desired show.
2. Tap on the desired season.
3. Tap on the desired episode.
4. At the bottom of your screen, you'll have three visible options presented as icons from left to right: "pin", "streaming", and "share". Tap "streaming".
5. You'll then get a popup with two choices: "ok" and "cancel". Tap "ok".

Your video is now deleted from your phone, yet still in your collection.

To download an individual episode (even though you have the season pass):
*CAUTION: If you are not connected to Wi-Fi or do not have an unlimited data, DO NOT DO THIS!*
1. Connect your phone to a charger
2. Tap on the desired show.
3. Tap on the desired season.
4. Tap on the desired episode.
5. At the bottom of your screen, you'll have three visible options presented as icons from left to right: "pin", "download", and "share". Tap "download".
6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 for more episodes.

As for downloading your Xbox Video purchase on your computer, then transferring to your phone, I'm not sure how that process works. The videos downloaded to your PC are much larger than the ones downloaded to your phone. For example, Frozen is 6+ GB on PC (if I remember correctly), but on your phone it's only 1.6 GB (again, if I remember correctly - I know it's definitely somewhere between 1 and 2).

wow thanks for that .. talk about an inconsistent user experience though - wonder why they omitted doing some of this from a long-press of the episode

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon