When will we see a Surface 3?

ishredthecello

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
After the AMA on Reddit yesterday they said the Windows ARM devices are part of their strategy and they are an important part.

So I'm ready to replace my iPad 2 with a Surface, but now that they showed off the Pro3 I realize that the Surface 3 will more than likely have the new kickstand and will take some additional cues from the SP3.

When would they refresh this line?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There are no rumours to suggest a timeline of when or if a Surface 3 will.... surface?

As it is, the big news was hopefully a mini version of Surface. This didn't come about either. MS is pretty secretive about what they do so no one really knows when/if it will happen. There's speculation that there won't be a Surface 3 until RT and WP OS are combined but who knows?

ishredthecello

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
When was the Surface RT and Surface 2 released. I guess that would give a timeline.

I just wasn't sure if MS had other events like Apple does at specified times when they release stuff.

Logan Marispini

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
We will see it soon!

I know we will see it soon, laptops are often refreshed more often than tablets (Look at how many Macbooks come out a year compared to ipads). I'm 100% certain we will see it launch around October/November. As for my predictions I think it would launch with two models, the 10.6", and a 8" model. Both will use a silver magnesium, with the new kickstand. I hope they move to snapdragon 801, and both have 1080p screens. I would expect new covers for both, with an even thinner design and USB 3.0. Also, if it had vents, but not a fan just vents it could keep it cooler, and look cool!:grin:

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Coming from an owner of a Surface 2:

Hopefully never. Windows RT is absolutely horrible in how many bugs it has, how few features it has and the limitations of it compared to the full Windows experience with legacy apps. Now with the Surface Pro 3 released, considering thinness and battery life, I honestly don't see the purpose of a Surface 3.

They even stated during the Surface Pro 3 release that their goal was to get rid of having a separate computer and a tablet by uniting them. Releasing a tablet after you say that seems a bit counter-productive to your previous intentions, like "Sorry guys, we meant after THIS tablet there will be no more need for the useless tablet+laptop combos!".

ishredthecello

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the flack Microsoft gets when it comes to RT not running full apps. The iPad doesn't run OS X apps and Android...well that's a mess.

I don't need it to run all the apps. I need it to play movies, music, games and do some light productivity...even though the office for RT is pretty awesome.

Just want a sub 4-500$ device that can do this to bridge a gap between smartphone and DESKTOP (not laptop), and RT like iOS is perfect for that.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the flack Microsoft gets when it comes to RT not running full apps. The iPad doesn't run OS X apps and Android...well that's a mess.

I'm sure the complaints will reduce once Threshold comes out in .. 2055? The main idea here is that most apps are developed for smartphones. Having a separate OS just for tablets is silly when the popularity is so low. That's why Apple and Android gets away with tablets - they have a much larger user base AND access to the smartphone store.

I don't need it to run all the apps. I need it to play movies, music, games and do some light productivity...even though the office for RT is pretty awesome.

Just want a sub 4-500$ device that can do this to bridge a gap between smartphone and DESKTOP (not laptop), and RT like iOS is perfect for that.

Certainly, that was my sentiment as well when I bought the Surface 2. It was light, had a good battery life and filled my productivity needs. Windows RT is filled with bugs though. I've experienced more crashes, freezing, bluescreens and even complete lockdowns than I can count. I even had to return it to the store once because the system crashed, some firmware got changed in the crash and BitLocker therefore decided to stop the device from starting up. Even Windows Millennium was better than RT. Add to that the lack in features, such as no auto-wrapping text when browsing, no controls for the cameras in terms of saturation etc, no possibility of installing third party apps outside of the store because Microsoft decided they wanted to be Apple, etc. And that's just to name a few.

With the release of the Surface Pro 3, I honestly don't see what purpose a Surface 3 would fill. Microsoft even halted the Surface Mini because they supposedly thought the demand was lacking. The Surface is a wonderful concept, but it's a poor execution in software.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure the complaints will reduce once Threshold comes out in .. 2055? The main idea here is that most apps are developed for smartphones. Having a separate OS just for tablets is silly when the popularity is so low. That's why Apple and Android gets away with tablets - they have a much larger user base AND access to the smartphone store.

Certainly, that was my sentiment as well when I bought the Surface 2. It was light, had a good battery life and filled my productivity needs. Windows RT is filled with bugs though. I've experienced more crashes, freezing, bluescreens and even complete lockdowns than I can count. I even had to return it to the store once because the system crashed, some firmware got changed in the crash and BitLocker therefore decided to stop the device from starting up. Even Windows Millennium was better than RT. Add to that the lack in features, such as no auto-wrapping text when browsing, no controls for the cameras in terms of saturation etc, no possibility of installing third party apps outside of the store because Microsoft decided they wanted to be Apple, etc. And that's just to name a few.

With the release of the Surface Pro 3, I honestly don't see what purpose a Surface 3 would fill. Microsoft even halted the Surface Mini because they supposedly thought the demand was lacking. The Surface is a wonderful concept, but it's a poor execution in software.

Where did you hear that? I heard it was because there was nothing to differentiate it from the IPad Mini.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Where did you hear that? I heard it was because there was nothing to differentiate it from the IPad Mini.

Microsoft Said to Back Off Plans to Debut Smaller Surface - Bloomberg

"Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella and Executive Vice President Stephen Elop decided that the product in development wasn’t different enough from rivals and probably wouldn’t be a hit ..."

Essentially we're saying the same thing but with different words. You're saying they skipped releasing it because it wasn't any different from [already released competitors]. I say it was because demand for a Surface Mini was lacking.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Said to Back Off Plans to Debut Smaller Surface - Bloomberg

"Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella and Executive Vice President Stephen Elop decided that the product in development wasn’t different enough from rivals and probably wouldn’t be a hit ..."

Essentially we're saying the same thing but with different words. You're saying they skipped releasing it because it wasn't any different from [already released competitors]. I say it was because demand for a Surface Mini was lacking.

There's plenty of demand for a good small Windows tablet. Microsoft isn't doing me-too products, though. I'd say it had more to do with a lack of touch Office than anything else.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
. Windows RT is filled with bugs though. I've experienced more crashes, freezing, bluescreens and even complete lockdowns than I can count. I even had to return it to the store once because the system crashed, some firmware got changed in the crash and BitLocker therefore decided to stop the device from starting up. Even Windows Millennium was better than RT. Add to that the lack in features, such as no auto-wrapping text when browsing, no controls for the cameras in terms of saturation etc, no possibility of installing third party apps outside of the store because Microsoft decided they wanted to be Apple, etc. And that's just to name a few.

I haven't ran into any of these "bugs" with my Surface 2. I've had mine for about 8 months now and not one single crash or freeze... Blue screen? Nope... I think your device may have been defective because my Surface 2 has been nothing short of PERFECT! This is coming from someone who has several PCs (an i7 gaming desktop with Win7 64 Ult. and a dual core AMD laptop with Win8.1 64bit) Funny thing is... I use my Surface 2 more than either of those computers as I can do everything I want (other than playing hardcore games) via remote desktop if I really need to run legacy applications. Other than that, the Surface 2 with RT does everything else I need it to do; watch movies, listen to music, send and receive email, browse the web, play casual games, and get work done in Office... what else is there?

To me, RT is the perfect tablet OS! Not one single complaint here...

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The Surface 2 just came out. It's awesome! I think the Surface Pro 3 is the one catching up to it, and it did. It's awesome. I'm gonna sell my Surface 2 to get me one. Not that there's anything wrong with the Surface 2 but I want the extra screen space. If only it had LTE. Surface devices are the most complete in my opinion. I switched over from Macbook Airs and I can't look back.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The Surface 2 just came out. It's awesome! I think the Surface Pro 3 is the one catching up to it, and it did. It's awesome. I'm gonna sell my Surface 2 to get me one. Not that there's anything wrong with the Surface 2 but I want the extra screen space. If only it had LTE. Surface devices are the most complete in my opinion. I switched over from Macbook Airs and I can't look back.
I'm waiting for the Pro 4, or a mid-gen upgrade to the Pro 3. There are still a few questions that I have. The Pro 3 as incredible as the hardware is above the Pro 2 "feels" rushed. The goofy adhesive pen loop, not waiting for Broadwell, and the untested-in-the-field nature of the N-Trig pen give me reason to wait and see what Microsoft will offer this Fall.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully there will be no more surface and instead Microsoft pushes an upgrade for the Lumia 2520. Make the surface the professional line and the Lumia the consumer line.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Pro 4, or a mid-gen upgrade to the Pro 3. There are still a few questions that I have. The Pro 3 as incredible as the hardware is above the Pro 2 "feels" rushed. The goofy adhesive pen loop, not waiting for Broadwell, and the untested-in-the-field nature of the N-Trig pen give me reason to wait and see what Microsoft will offer this Fall.

Microsoft can't do anything this fall on the pro front, Broadwell won't even be coming out until Q4 by Intel's own estimates. ;)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft can't do anything this fall on the pro front, Broadwell won't even be coming out until Q4 by Intel's own estimates. ;)
You are correct about the current estimate for Broadwell's availability, but that isn't the only thing to be looking for from Microsoft this Fall regarding the Surface Pro.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I also don't see them putting anything of a silo for the pen, that idea was sacrificed to the altar of thin.
I think that there is room for improvement that will make the next gen after SP3 more refined. The pen will become slimmer. I laughed out loud at Panay talking about how wonderfully substantial the pen is... that the thickness and heft made it so much more comfortable. I also think that they're going to do something with the keyboard. I can see the next SP having a latching mechanism to allow for a more substantial keyboard option that doesn't require use of the kickstand.

What I've learned about how Microsoft is handling the Surface line, things aren't an issue until the next gen addresses them. All of a sudden, they point out all of the deficiencies in the previous gen's design that are addressed in the new gen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon