03-13-2015 12:17 PM
43 12
tools
    Your choices are limited:
    There is another choice, the choice that I make today when I order a Nexus 5: Leave WP for now and come back when MS actually gives a crap.
    06-20-2014 10:09 AM
    You ARE using the Nokia ones (Drive. basically). rather than the MS ones
    06-22-2014 02:27 AM
    Anyone in Japan who uses WP except me? I am using a L925 and an iPhone. I'm happy with WP but the google map app in iOS and Android is really useful. It gets me to where I want to go. However, WP has a lousy and useable maps in Japan. What gives?
    Here are the best options :
    1) Here Maps + Here Drive with offline navigation and voice navigation
    2) UnOfficial Goole Maps App : GMaps | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    06-22-2014 03:21 AM
    Here transit doesn't work in Japan?
    Sent from my RM-877_nam_canada_234 using Tapatalk
    06-22-2014 12:43 PM
    Here are the best options :
    1) Here Maps + Here Drive with offline navigation and voice navigation
    What part of there is offline maps or navigations for Japan you don't understand.
    06-23-2014 08:20 AM
    Some people simply don't understand that Here Maps / Transit does not work here in Japan. Guys if it does I would have not created this thread.
    06-26-2014 09:20 AM
    Microsoft expands Bing Maps transit features in Japan.

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-...ures-in-japan/
    08-26-2014 11:39 PM
    Korean maps improved as well. http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-...nto-bing-maps/

The op or anyone else in Japan or Korea should test and let us know how well they work. Seems Bing maps app is the way to go inside of here maps. But sense they both use the same downloaded maps, maybe both will work?
    08-29-2014 01:25 AM
    I bought an Android phone just for my upcoming travel to Japan. Android and iOS both have lots of Japan travel related apps, whereas Windows Phone has nothing. I'm into the Microsoft stack owning a windows phone, xbox one and surface, but this limitation is really making me consider switching to another phone platform.
    09-14-2014 09:58 PM
    I bought an Android phone just for my upcoming travel to Japan. Android and iOS both have lots of Japan travel related apps, whereas Windows Phone has nothing. I'm into the Microsoft stack owning a windows phone, xbox one and surface, but this limitation is really making me consider switching to another phone platform.
    Have you or anyone tried Bing Maps since Microsoft recently added Japan transit info? Also what are good apps on android that you'd like to see on windows phone besides gmaps so we can email the developers and ask?
    09-15-2014 12:09 AM
    Only Bing Maps for WP7 is updated. WP8 uses HERE Maps data so Japan map is empty.

These are the some apps that I will be using on my Android device:

1. Google Maps and Google Maps Engine for routes with multiple POIs. GMaps is very limited compared to Google Maps which lets you look around for restaurants, etc.
    2. Google Translate (Bing Translator doesn't support Japanese)
    3. HYPERDIA JapanRailSearch
    4. Japan Trains
    5. MapsWithMe with full offline Japan map with POIs and search
    6. TripAdvisor City Guides Catalog
    7. TouristEye - Travel Guide

This made me realize that there's indeed a big app gap. Hopefully Microsoft will do something. I'll still be using my 1520 as my main phone but I'm not sure for how long.
    09-15-2014 12:26 AM
    Here by Nokia.. Have offline maps..
    09-16-2014 08:45 AM
    Only Bing Maps for WP7 is updated. WP8 uses HERE Maps data so Japan map is empty.

These are the some apps that I will be using on my Android device:

1. Google Maps and Google Maps Engine for routes with multiple POIs. GMaps is very limited compared to Google Maps which lets you look around for restaurants, etc.
    2. Google Translate (Bing Translator doesn't support Japanese)
    3. HYPERDIA JapanRailSearch
    4. Japan Trains
    5. MapsWithMe with full offline Japan map with POIs and search
    6. TripAdvisor City Guides Catalog
    7. TouristEye - Travel Guide

This made me realize that there's indeed a big app gap. Hopefully Microsoft will do something. I'll still be using my 1520 as my main phone but I'm not sure for how long.

2. Try T-Translator, it's powered by Google. Also try Translator with Speech.

6. Windows Phone does have TripAdvisor

Now that Bing has transit info for Japan and South Korea, MS really needs to update the Bing map app on WP8. Here data is awful and it seems the here team is now focused on ios...
    09-16-2014 03:01 PM
    2. Try T-Translator, it's powered by Google. Also try Translator with Speech.

6. Windows Phone does have TripAdvisor

Now that Bing has transit info for Japan and South Korea, MS really needs to update the Bing map app on WP8. Here data is awful and it seems the here team is now focused on ios...
    2. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

6. The TripAdvisor has lots of missing features such as offline info compared to iOS and Android. The last time this app got updated was way back 2012.
    09-16-2014 11:59 PM
    Does gmaps have transit info for Japan?
    09-17-2014 12:43 AM
    Here by Nokia.. Have offline maps..
    Have you read this thread at all? People please stop recommending Here maps for offline maps! Japan is not included there. Can you all please read the question before answering like a moron?
    03-13-2015 08:20 AM
    What part of there is offline maps or navigations for Japan you don't understand.
    What part of Japanese maps do not exist in the Here APP, do YOU not understand?
    03-13-2015 08:24 AM
    Nobody has posted an update to this thread since Microsoft added transit info to Bing Maps for Japan. I think I remember reading that the info was only displayed on the desktop and not on the phone though. Probably because Bing Maps on the phone uses here map data behind the scene. Hopefully that will change soon. I recently heard there are a few Japanese OEMs releasing Windows Phones this year so it seems like that would be important to have otherwise why would they release a phone at all.
    03-13-2015 12:17 PM
43 12