I want to like windows phone 8 but....

Russ Michaels

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I hated windows 8 with a passion but lucky Windows 8.1 seems to have fixed that am I am now a happy windows 8.1 user on my desktop system, and I also got a Windows 8 tablet which I am pretty happy with. I haven't really found the lack of apps to be a problem so far on these devices and have found most everything I need.

So I thought I would give windows phone a try, and got a phone/tablet deal from O2, I gave it a try for a week, and I really wanted to like it, but ended up going back to my Android device as there were just too many things missing which made windows phone annoying to use. It just feels like it targeted at old people or numpties who need a phone that is as simple to use as possible, and have hidden any any kind of settings or advanced features and made it minimalist. Which is fair enough, but how about an advanced mode for the rest of us business users.

One of the most useful features on Android if the quick access settings bar that you drag down from the top, where you change the brightness, enable/disable wifi, bluetooth, silent mode, gps etc.
Getting to these settings in Windows phone is just a PITA and is not convenient in any way shape or form.
Using gmail also was not a very pleasant experience either, I have multiple account to manage and I could find anything equivalent to the gmail app for Android.
The built in social app, is probably fine for joe blogs, but I have multiple twitter accounts, and found it very un-intuitive for that as it just lumps all notifications together, I did not see anyway to just look at faceboook or just look at individual twitter accounts, searches etc, and also couldn't find any other good 3rd party twitter apps for this either.

These are show stoppers for me, but If anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve this on windows phone then i'm willing to give it another go.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't understand half of what you're complaining about. Getting to the quick settings is so much more convenient in WP compared to Android. I have a Moto X and a 1520 so I can definitely say that changing the Bluetooth for example is much easier than it is on Android considering that I need two fingers to get to quick actions, but only need one on WP. Plus, unlike Android, you can change the quick actions.

Also, about your multiple Twitter accounts, how could you possibly do that on Android??? There is no "what's new" or anything like that built natively.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Last edited by a moderator:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
there are many features added in WP8.1 that will make you like it a lot more (kinda like how you like W8.1 more than 8.0)
quick settings is in the Action Center
there's no gmail app. you just use the built in email client. it's the absolute best and the most simple and easy to use. one of my top favorites of WP.
in the new WP8.1 people hub, you can separate news feed into either FB only or any combination.

looks like you just need to wait a month for WP8.1 to come out to all.
here's the page: tell me what you like
Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana | Windows Phone (United States)

Russ Michaels

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
there are many features added in WP8.1 that will make you like it a lot more (kinda like how you like W8.1 more than 8.0)
quick settings is in the Action Center
there's no gmail app. you just use the built in email client. it's the absolute best and the most simple and easy to use. one of my top favorites of WP.
in the new WP8.1 people hub, you can separate news feed into either FB only or any combination.

looks like you just need to wait a month for WP8.1 to come out to all.
here's the page: tell me what you like
Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana | Windows Phone (United States)

ah perhaps that is the case then, it was a nokia lumia 625.
do you have to update from the store like on windows 8 desktop ?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^it's a full OS update. I and many others are running the preview but since this is your first WP device I recommend you wait for the official release.
it will be release in the form of the Nokia Cyan update. it will be automatic, you just check for update in settings and it should dl and install.
this is nokia's website on the update:
New Lumia Black Update for Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
don't sell your 625 yet! wait for Cyan and then make your final decision. it will come out this month.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[warn] let's keep the name calling and personal attacks to a minimum of zero, we don't do that here[/warn] and OP it sounds like most of your complaints are resolved in 8.1 which is now available through the developer preview program or you can wait to get it officially in the coming weeks. The official twitter app on WP does support multiple accounts and is available in the store. In the people hub there's also a way to see only Facebook or only twitter posts. Where it says what's new you tap below it and then only check the ones you want. Everything else it sounds like growing pains and buyers remorse when initially switching to a new platform which dissolves over a few days as one becomes more accustomed to their purchase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo