Gmail "Send Mail As" alias issue with WP8.1

azerrima

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Google has an option in its sync settings called "Send Mail As" (https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/device). This should basically allow you to use your aliases to reply to emails. However, when I set this option, it only sends replies from my "primary" gmail account, even if the original addressee is another alias of mine.

Let me explain the behavior with an example. Say X is my gmail address and I have two other alias accounts Y and Z. Also, assume that I have set Y as my primary account in gmail.
1- If the above-mentioned option is on, my replies will always be from Y! (no matter what the receiving address is in the original email!)
2- If the above-mentioned option is off, my replies will always be from X (which is expected.)

I remember this was working correctly on WP8. Does any one know a fix?

Disclaimer: I'm not completely sure if this problem is specific to WP8.1. But I have encountered this issue since installing the developer preview.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You can use MetroMail (paid app) to select which email you are sending from on a per-message basis. I bought this app specifically for this purpose. I don't let it run in the background or sync my messages as all incoming mail goes to my main outlook address, but I use MetroMail to ensure I send emails from the correct address.

Alternatively, if you set up aliases with an outlook.com account, whatever you set as your default "From" address on Outlook.com will be your "from" address from your phone as well.

azerrima

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
You can use MetroMail (paid app) to select which email you are sending from on a per-message basis. I bought this app specifically for this purpose. I don't let it run in the background or sync my messages as all incoming mail goes to my main outlook address, but I use MetroMail to ensure I send emails from the correct address.

MetroMail is something I need to check. But I'm hesitant to use a 3rd party app for such a basic functionality and give in access to all my emails to it.

Alternatively, if you set up aliases with an outlook.com account, whatever you set as your default "From" address on Outlook.com will be your "from" address from your phone as well.

From what you describe, even if I use Outlook.com, the situation will be the same. Still replies goes from a fixed email address and not according to the receiving address. But thanks anyways, I'm not going to switch from gmail to Outlook because of that.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
MetroMail is something I need to check. But I'm hesitant to use a 3rd party app for such a basic functionality and give in access to all my emails to it.

Dev here. I just want to assure you that you have nothing to worry about. Since MetroMail first launched 7-8 months ago, there have been zero issues/complaints regarding security. And that's not due to a lack of users (thanks WP community!). Before that, I developed MetroTalk, which similarly handled user's Google Voice credentials (actually that was "worse" since users actually shared their Google account's password with the app, whereas in MetroMail, a different safer authentication mechanism is used). No reported issues there either, and the app was going strong for more than 2 years, before it was removed after Google's request.

Also keep in mind that since a couple of weeks ago, MetroMail is a free (ad-supported) app for a single email account. So you have that option as well.

azerrima

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Dev here. I just want to assure you that you have nothing to worry about. Since MetroMail first launched 7-8 months ago, there have been zero issues/complaints regarding security. And that's not due to a lack of users (thanks WP community!). Before that, I developed MetroTalk, which similarly handled user's Google Voice credentials (actually that was "worse" since users actually shared their Google account's password with the app, whereas in MetroMail, a different safer authentication mechanism is used). No reported issues there either, and the app was going strong for more than 2 years, before it was removed after Google's request.

Also keep in mind that since a couple of weeks ago, MetroMail is a free (ad-supported) app for a single email account. So you have that option as well.

Thanks for the clarification apoelin, good to know!

I actually gave it a try and it's quite a client. Keep up the good work!

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but Andreas, why can apps like Free Talk still be made available yet Metrotalk had to be removed?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss