Wifi on or off?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So fam I'm a little confused. Today when looking at my wifi settings screen it recommends that to leave the wifi on, as it will save battery life. Now everything I've beehive and known to this point days the opposite (blogs, wpcentral, etc). I know that leaving wifi sense on its a complete battery drain. I got that. But just the regular on switch on?

Help me understand?
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140716_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140716_0001.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2

Big Tali

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I just leave WiFi on when I'm home and connected. It saves battery (compared to 3G/4G). However I don't allow my phone to check for WiFi networks when I'm not home, since it means it's constantly working to check if there's a network available.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always kept WiFi on, since the device does not constantly search for WiFi networks when none are available, and battery life is much better when one is using a WiFi network as opposed to mobile network.

It has not been an issue for me in WP7.x, WP8 or WP8.1 Preview.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Only the wifiswitch... the rest off. Your phone doesn't need to search everytime....its almost a continuousness' waist of energy. Why should it search for wifi in areas where there is non...ore at least where you don't know the keys....when you just leave the wifi on it picks automatically the known networks when you are in range. And for privacy reasons it doesn't need to share known networks....we are not al friendly out here. In this case less is more.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I only turn wi-fi off when on the road listening to online radio and I do not want the radio app to be confused by temporarily coming within range of a potential wi-fi hotspot. In the UK as a BT broadband subscriber this is a particular issue with all the zillions of free (to me) BT Openzone hotspots I may pass but for which I need to manually activate the BT log in app (which sadly does not have the functionality to run in the background unlike the version on my Android tablet).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon