Does these W10M features can exists on android?

francerz

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm not listing platform specific features like live tiles, just asking for general features.

I list some features that I regularly use for my W10M device, and I would like to know if there are pretty close equivalents on Android.
  • Vibrate when outgoing call is answered.
  • Recording call.
  • Quick SMS reply when incoming call.
  • Switch to speaker when move the phone away from the ear.
  • Quiet hours like feature, having custom time and days at week disabling notification alerts, keeping contacts exceptions, at least for calls and SMS.
  • Custom notification handling, as per app, where can pick wich apps can send notifications, toast, display on notifications center, private when device is locked, allow vibration, pick notification sound, maximum notifications per app, and picking priority between apps (user manageable, not developer).
  • Independent UI (like Continnum) when wireless projecting, at least when showing PowerPoint slides, keeping independent content on each display.
  • Something like glance screen, displaying the time, next appointment, and custom info on the screen without having to turn it on fully.
  • Double tap to wake, and double tap to sleep, without leaving the current app screen (w10m, handles this with the navigation bar).
  • Uncluttered system tray, I see a lot of Android phones and hate that System tray is always saturated with many icons from apps, even repeating the same app icon as notifications come.
  • Pick where any new content is going to be saved automatically.
  • Ability to uninstall, almost any app.
  • Pick a custom low battery percentage and automatically enable battery saving mode.
  • Metering battery usage and picking wich apps can run on background.
  • Any Wifi and celular data sense, where I can meter my total usage and also wich apps are using data and how much of it.
  • Remote enable tethering, allowing to connect with data from another device without having to take out my phone to enable it.
  • Regular System OS updates, at least security patches.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not listing platform specific features like live tiles, just asking for general features.

I list some features that I regularly use for my W10M device, and I would like to know if there are pretty close equivalents on Android.
  • Vibrate when outgoing call is answered.
    • I'm not sure.
  • Recording call.
    • I'm not sure.
  • Quick SMS reply when incoming call.
    • Yes.
  • Switch to speaker when move the phone away from the ear.
    • I'm not sure.
  • Quiet hours like feature, having custom time and days at week disabling notification alerts, keeping contacts exceptions, at least for calls and SMS.
    • Yes.
  • Custom notification handling, as per app, where can pick wich apps can send notifications, toast, display on notifications center, private when device is locked, allow vibration, pick notification sound, maximum notifications per app, and picking priority between apps (user manageable, not developer).
    • Yes.
  • Independent UI (like Continnum) when wireless projecting, at least when showing PowerPoint slides, keeping independent content on each display.
    • Samsung Dex is probably your best bet.
  • Something like glance screen, displaying the time, next appointment, and custom info on the screen without having to turn it on fully.
    • Ambient Display, Moto Display, Always-On Display are the names of some similar features.
  • Double tap to wake, and double tap to sleep, without leaving the current app screen (w10m, handles this with the navigation bar).
    • Yes, BUT depends on the individual phone.
  • Uncluttered system tray, I see a lot of Android phones and hate that System tray is always saturated with many icons from apps, even repeating the same app icon as notifications come.
    • You can fiddle with notifications to your heart's content.
  • Pick where any new content is going to be saved automatically.
    • Depends on the phone/app.
  • Ability to uninstall, almost any app.
    • Depends on the phone and carrier. Most apps can be disabled which is typically good enough.
  • Pick a custom low battery percentage and automatically enable battery saving mode.
    • Yes.
  • Metering battery usage and picking wich apps can run on background.
    • Yes. Some under-the-hood stuff may be different but there are many controls you'll probably be happy with.
  • Any Wifi and celular data sense, where I can meter my total usage and also wich apps are using data and how much of it.
    • Yes, its a standard smartphone feature these days.
  • Remote enable tethering, allowing to connect with data from another device without having to take out my phone to enable it.
    • I've only seen this between iPhone's and Mac's. W10M really has this feature?
  • Regular System OS updates, at least security patches.
    • Something worth noting is that Android is highly inconsistent depending on the model. If you value these on a reliable and speedy basis, Google Pixel and possibly Nokia phones are the best choices. Other manufacturers can range from updates almost never (Coolpad, BLU...) to sporadically. (Moto)
    • Also worth noting is that the longest time an Android phone will be consistently supported is three years, which is half that of the iPhone. (Google Pixel - 2 years of OS updates, one additional year of security patches)

My comments are above.
For the most part, most of those features are common to any modern smartphone but be careful since the modifiable nature of Android means that some features can be exclusive to a manufacturer, etc.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
I'll be answering from the perspective of an S9. Bear in mind that Samsung has the most fully featured Android devices. Some of the features that are just now only coming to Android have been in Samsungs for ages. Markup for example was on Samsung phones since like 4 years ago as an extended Samsung feature, etc. So while it may be on my S9, it is possible that will not be there on a Pixel, or an LG.

[*] Vibrate when outgoing call is answered.
Yes
[*] Recording call.
Internal Audio? Tricky. Android is getting new Call Permissions on the next update which apparently call recorder devs will have to update things and confer with Google for them to work.
[*] Quick SMS reply when incoming call.
Yes
[*] Switch to speaker when move the phone away from the ear.
No
[*] Quiet hours like feature, having custom time and days at week disabling notification alerts, keeping contacts exceptions, at least for calls and SMS.
Yes
[*] Custom notification handling, as per app, where can pick wich apps can send notifications, toast, display on notifications center, private when device is locked, allow vibration, pick notification sound, maximum notifications per app, and picking priority between apps (user manageable, not developer).
Yes
[*] Independent UI (like Continnum) when wireless projecting, at least when showing PowerPoint slides, keeping independent content on each display.
Haven't tried casting power point slides. When casting videos, I do get a different display for controls though.
[*] Something like glance screen, displaying the time, next appointment, and custom info on the screen without having to turn it on fully.
Implementation varies on manufacturers, but most often it's an Always On Display Feature. You just have a clock date, and icons that show up on screen. It's an AMOLED so the entire screen is not on.
[*] Double tap to wake, and double tap to sleep, without leaving the current app screen (w10m, handles this with the navigation bar).
Manufacturer dependent implementation for double tap to wake. Samsung has a longpress to wake. LG and Huawei has double tap. Double tap to sleep is launcher dependent (since you can change it in Android). If you use decide to use Microsoft Launcher, it has that feature.
[*] Uncluttered system tray, I see a lot of Android phones and hate that System tray is always saturated with many icons from apps, even repeating the same app icon as notifications come.
I'd assume you mean the notification shade since you mentioned notifications? It's only as cluttered as you want them to be. If you want nothing there, there could be nothing. Notification merging though are dependent on apps. Usually messaging apps only merge notifications from the same person. For example SMS. If you have 8 messages from one person, that's one notification icon, but if you have to people sending you messages, that's two. Other notifications merge all into one. Or separates them by type. I do have Instagram, and Instagram posts a different notification if you have a message to if you have a comment/like.
[*] Pick where any new content is going to be saved automatically.
Limited because of nature of the OS. At most you only get to choose whether device or SD card. This is because since Android can install apps easily from other sources due to it's open nature, Android employed a folder ownership security, where an app can only download to a folder it initially created itself and labeled as it's own. This is so that other apps can't tamper with other apps. There are drawbacks of course, but in general, you are free to move all files around yourself after downloading if you have a system level file manager. Samsung bundles one with it's phones.
[*] Ability to uninstall, almost any app.
A bit tricky, but mostly depends on where you get your phone. Getting the phone from the carrier means you have to deal with carrier customized software which they may bar you from uninstalling their bloatware. You can get around this of course, but then you violate terms and you lose warranty. So the option would be to not get carrier device to not get carrier bloat.
[*] Pick a custom low battery percentage and automatically enable battery saving mode.
Manufacturer dependent. Samsung used to have it but for some reason removed it after Google changed some things on battery handling in Oreo. Probably some conflicts on the implementation on an OS level.
[*] Metering battery usage and picking wich apps can run on background.
Depends on what exactly you mean by metering battery usage? Not sure. But yes, there is a battery optimization menu that limits which apps can run in the background. Note that Android handles RAM differently, so cached apps in RAM aren't actually running.
[*] Any Wifi and celular data sense, where I can meter my total usage and also wich apps are using data and how much of it.
Yes.
[*] Remote enable tethering, allowing to connect with data from another device without having to take out my phone to enable it.
Not exactly sure what you mean here. You mean you use another device to turn on tethering on another device?
[*] Regular System OS updates, at least security patches.
A flagship Android gets 2 major OS updates, and 3 years of security updates, less if you go on non-flagships. Regularity depends on source of your phone and thus can be carrier dependent carriers can often be 1-2month late. Unlocked phones in the US only gets quarterly security updates.
Pixels and Android devices under the Android One program (even if not flagship) get 2 OS updates and 3 years of monthly security updates straight from Google. But since these are barebones Android devices, note that some of the features you are looking for that I have said are present in my S9 might be absent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12