Pre-Cyan WP 8.1 Preview to WP 8.1 Update

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
So MS just announced that they will be releasing WP 8.1 Update Preview next week. I'm one of those WP users who are stuck in WP 8.1 Preview. I just don't have the time to downgrade and restore everything.

Now can we simply apply the WP 8.1 Update without having to downgrade and install Cyan? Thanks in advance.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah because you are upgrading the OS not the firmware, the issue with cyan was that the firmware causing issues with bitlocker.

So you will be able to update without actually getting cyan.

Helgeckel

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Well that sounds bascially positive - but there is one more issue: will it be possible to upgrade to CYAN after going from DP 8.1 to DP 8.1 GDR1?

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I think it depends. I know that the Cyan update includes 8.1 and firmware, but before Bitlockergate, it was said we could go from 8.1 DP to Cyan. It has also been confirmed that 8.1 DP's OS version is the same as the OS version included in Cyan. So assuming a pre-Bitlockergate scenario, does the Cyan update write over the current OS, or does it see that we already have it, and just do the firmware update? If it only flashes the firmware and leaves the OS alone, we might be okay.

That being said, I personally plan on holding off on the 8.1 Update DP until I can get Cyan (at this point, I care more about the firmware update than the new features....8.1 DP gave me everything I really needed), and I'm hoping that by the time AT&T releases Cyan for the 920, a Bitlockergate fix will be out and I can go 8.1 DP to Cyan to 8.1 Update DP.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
From Daniel Rubino's comment in Search | Windows Phone Central
"Don't think about it too hard. Just accept it on faith ;)

But if you want to know: The firmware gets applied to devices with a certain OS build or higher. It is not targeted to one specific build number. Cyan is on devices with OS builds 12359, 12397 and 12400.

So if OS is build 12359 or >, move on to Cyan. (Assuming Microsoft is not blocking you)"

Sounds like I'll be grabbing the update today then, and hopefully getting Cyan FW soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon