WP8.1 GDR 1 and Cyan

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I own a Lumia 1020.i currently have the wp8.1 developer preview installed and waiting for the cyan update to be released so I can downgrade to 8 as I heard current preview users will not be able to update automatically to cyan.
Today, WP Central posted an article stating that GDR 1 is already rolling for developers.
The update did not show for me yet but I was wondering how will the update work since Microsoft was clear about the bitlocker issue. And if they can manage an auto update to GDR1 shouldn't it be easy for them to do the same method for Cyan?

Sathanous

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not being pushed out because of a problem with some phones not because they can't. If don't want to wipe (as I don't) then you can update to update 1 and wait when they fix it they'll push it out and you'll get cyan.

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well that's what confuses me, Microsoft said that the problem exists on phones with developer preview because of bitlocker but I can't understand why or how it's ok to update to GDR 1 and not cyan? If they can update developer preview to GDR 1 it should be a no brainer to update to cyan. Am I missing something?

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well that's what confuses me, Microsoft said that the problem exists on phones with developer preview because of bitlocker but I can't understand why or how it's ok to update to GDR 1 and not cyan? If they can update developer preview to GDR 1 it should be a no brainer to update to cyan. Am I missing something?

GDR1 is like a update to OS, think of it as a update to windows 8.1, bitlocker will still work.. cyan is a firmware update, similar to a bios update, it will somehow forget/screw up the its part of the bitlocker key and windows will no longer boot.
but maybe dgr1 will fix bitlocker issue, who knows...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You should wait before downgrading, cyan probably wont add anything worthwhile to the 1020 and with the DP you already have the latest OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes