Official Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 Discussion and Problem Solving Thread

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Update my phone to WP 8.1 Update 1. Everything, well almost, working fine...I have a couple of issues...any help is appreciated...

1. Apps corner, takes forever trying to launch but never does
2. Facing random shutdowns. Only option to is to reset the phone (Vol down + power)

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My observations:
* UI is just as snappy as before.
* News live tile still not updating (just shows the red news icon twice). Already tried uninstall, re-install. Was already like this before the update.
* I like the new folder option, finally have all my messenger apps in one folder.
* Battery drain seems less (although the 820 has already bad battery). But it lasts 2 days now.
* Store live tile is disabled by default - may confuse users. You need to activate this option in settings of store.
* Support for NTP time sync is very cool.
* Noticed that boot time is significantly shorter with Update 1.

All in all very happy with the phone now. Although it is already nearly a "vintage" Lumia I am using the battery life has improved with Update 1. I think this OS will be a success if MS continues with this speed.

Sarbuland Yatu

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My observations:
* UI is just as snappy as before.
* News live tile still not updating (just shows the red news icon twice). Already tried uninstall, re-install. Was already like this before the update.
* I like the new folder option, finally have all my messenger apps in one folder.
* Battery drain seems less (although the 820 has already bad battery). But it lasts 2 days now.
* Store live tile is disabled by default - may confuse users. You need to activate this option in settings of store.
* Support for NTP time sync is very cool.
* Noticed that boot time is significantly shorter with Update 1.

All in all very happy with the phone now. Although it is already nearly a "vintage" Lumia I am using the battery life has improved with Update 1. I think this OS will be a success if MS continues with this speed.

I tried everything to make live store tile to work....but all in vain.....using NL630

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I generalized because that's 80% of what I read (a rather overwhelming majority) - Now, I realize that this thread was to report problems, but ...

You know what will fix your problem, but ' ... it's a time consuming procedure.'. I gotta ask, what prep did you do before installing the update ?

In my case, I moved ALL my apps back to the phone, took a good backup, removed the SDcard, hard reset the phone, let the restore happen, took the update & let it do it's thing (restore again). The prep (move apps & backup) took some time, but I was ready to install a clean update (and avoid potential problems).

A matter of '...you can pay me now, or pay me later ...' - plus I shutdown once a week, to allow the memory (RAM) to heal itself it makes RAM contiguous, leading to better performance. Point (don't repent later, do something in prep) was lost on you (& most) I imagine ... and, I will say the issues you mentioned were the most plausible examples of what this thread was intended for. The 'I can't get Cortana's' in Bengladesh (or somewhere Cortana has NOT been deployed) just drive me batty !

If people want help, they need to provide enough info to make an informed guess to rectify their problem. How many people have their passport info filled out on this forum. That would be valuable info (it's only a one time thing) towards troubleshooting. Where you are, what device(s), etc.

... and it appears, YOU stopped reading my post after whiners. There was a bit more substance.

Read the post, right after you called me out ...

I read the whole post and then called you, because it was annoying.

Anyway, I don't want to offend you.
Just try to NOT generalize.

You are right about many of the people here. But there are some of as facing real problems (not false settings).

As I said it seems that some apps fail to trigger the camera. For example Video Moments won't open at all, sand in Bing Translator, translating via camera will give an error and won't even start the camera.

I have a Lumia 925 with a clean installation of official WP8.1 + Cyan. Then enrolled in DP and got Update 1.

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Change ur region to US
Then go to store settings, disable ND re-enable d live tile toggle
Go to start screen ND wait for five minutes
The tile will start working
Then change d region bck to ur respective region

GuilhermeManso

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Change ur region to US
Then go to store settings, disable ND re-enable d live tile toggle
Go to start screen ND wait for five minutes
The tile will start working
Then change d region bck to ur respective region

This isnt working. I think they restricted the live tile for some regions. Not working here in Brazil.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
GDR1 is welcome and includes some nifty fixes (IE11 video/compatibility) Live Folders are OK but poorly implemented though (no multi-app selection or System Apps). Store Tile not 'live' here in UK but not really bothered by that. I am bothered by degraded battery performance (down from around 36 hours to 20 hours), and loss of features with 8.1 and 8.1.1 (such as no more Bing Vision Barcode Reader).
Cortana only 'talks' to me when I ask it to tell a Joke which I suppose says it all about WP now really.

Athul Paul

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Guys please help.. Icannot open any of the apps. I did a soft reset, uninstalled them and reinstalled but still they are not working. It shows an error message like this
"There's a problem with (the app name). First, try to buy the app. If that doesnt work, you'll need to uninstall the app and then install it again."
I cany use my phone.. :-(
Its very urgent.!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Maximo_Mark

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm awaiting delivery of my 930 and am looking forward to getting in to Windows Phone. I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn.

My first question is, will I have the update 1 already installed or how would I go about getting it?

Edit: Found the answer.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, if you have a 1080p device (Icon, 930, 1520)

Hi everyone, I need you help on contacting UC Browser Support and asking for a Desktop UA that shows as IE11 on Windows 8. The reason:Since GDR1 for WP8.1 Microsoft broke the UA for Desktop mode on IE11, now mostly everything that use to load as Desktop comes up as Mobile, UC Browser already takes care of this with its 'Desktop Mode' but 'Youtube.com'. Youtube will not stream its HTML5 videos on 1080p unless the browser is IE11 on Windows 8 or Chrome. And having a 1520 we all want to use that 1080p screen right?Currently UC Browser does not advertise its UA as IE11 on Windows 8 therefore Youtube HTML5 videos only gives an option for 720p. Please help me by contacting support and asking for the UA to be changed to IE11 on Windows 8 or at least give us the option to add our own custom UA.Thanks.

sperry1625

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Just tried the soft-reset. No luck. Same issue.

Thanks.

PS. Am I whining too much? :cry: :wink:

I have done a hard reset now and it is worse than it was before. Now I am seeing the issue on photos and other images. Also, it is VERY slow now. Start screen can take 60+ seconds to update very laggy. I am assuming at this point it may be due to the restore of my backup and synching my accounts. I am giving it some time.

I know the answer to this but have to ask anyway, is there any way to remove Update 1 from the phone and just go back to 8.1?

Thanks,

Steven Perry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon