Can Windows Phone 8.1 Be Installed On Android Devices?

Alec Owens

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey Y'all,

So over the last few months I've seen the odd article pop up talking about how WP8.1 will be able to be installed on android devices, and the other day I saw an article about HTC (rumored) releasing the One M8 with WP8.1 pre-installed... But I've had a look around and I can't find any guides or discussion etc. about this actually being done. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?!

Anyone more in the know than I am here? I really want to stick with Windows Phone, but I'm getting forced into the corner by a lack of decent WP handsets about! Feels like installing WP on something like the LG G3 would be the 'ideal scenario'.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If the hardware is supported by WP8, then there is no reason an OEM can't get it (the license is free for them!) and install it, much like HTC is doing with the M8 for Windows 8. Microsoft would have to release the software to the general public to install on any other devices, but at this time they have not mentioned any plans to do so.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The OS code is not installable like a desktop OS. OEMs have to write firmwares and supply all the drivers to integrate the OS into the phone. So, while it is an easy job for OEM (most drivers are already written for them but they can opt to optimize them like Nokia did), it is not an easy job for individuals. Those drivers, just like on Android phone, are not free or open sourced.

BTW, those dual-boot phone ideas are quickly abandoned by those makers due to pressure from both Google and Microsoft. So, don't expect them to show up anytime soon.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett