Still lingering "annoyances" even with Update 1

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 and there are still some small, minor things that I would like to see addressed for the next update:

1. When typing/swiping text, why can an automatic space still not happen after a comma or other punctuation marks? Small, I know, but something I would eventually like to see.

2. Second and probably not just with Update 1, but more so with Cortana. Let's say I am meeting some people at a newer place to me, but not until later or in the future. With Cortana I look up the place and can swipe through and see the address? But, for whatever reason, unless I am missing it, I cannot copy the address and put it in the calendar/reminder. This way, it would make initiating navigation to this place easier.

3. Still no data toggle. I know they said one was coming, but hoping it would be addressed.

4. An option for games to show/not show in the app list.

5. Browsing through photos, it would be nice to have an option for use as the background instead of just the lock screen. Maybe they could have an option, similar to others, where you have the option for background, lockscreen or both.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 and there are still some small, minor things that I would like to see addressed for the next update:

1. When typing/swiping text, why can an automatic space still not happen after a comma or other punctuation marks? Small, I know, but something I would eventually like to see.

2. Second and probably not just with Update 1, but more so with Cortana. Let's say I am meeting some people at a newer place to me, but not until later or in the future. With Cortana I look up the place and can swipe through and see the address? But, for whatever reason, unless I am missing it, I cannot copy the address and put it in the calendar/reminder. This way, it would make initiating navigation to this place easier.

3. Still no data toggle. I know they said one was coming, but hoping it would be addressed.

5. Browsing through photos, it would be nice to have an option for use as the background instead of just the lock screen. Maybe they could have an option, similar to others, where you have the option for background, lockscreen or both.

1. Personal preferences are just that. Mainstream defaults ensures everybody, even new member to the platform can use their devices. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU WOULD LIKE AUTO-CORRECT SETTINGS.

2. UNIVERSAL COPY & PASTE throughout the OS... good idea

3. There is within the settings menu

4. TOTALLY AGREE

5. BAD IDEA. It would look terrible.

Can I add a sixth?
THE SETTINGS MENU IS A MESS. IT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED UP

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

1. This happens for me. Gesture type a few words, add a punctuation (comma, for example) then swipe next word. A space appears after the comma automatically.
  2. I can offer you a workaround for this. When you're viewing the info page for a place, tap share in the appbar and select messaging. It'll compose a new sms message with the address. You can then highlight and select the address to copy and paste.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
  1. I can offer you a workaround for this. When you're viewing the info page for a place, tap share in the appbar and select messaging. It'll compose a new sms message with the address. You can then highlight and select the address to copy and paste.

Thanks for this one. It can be a workaround for the time being, but a more universal copy and paste would be nice.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Great, an annoyances thread. I'll add one:

When in the dialer you can hit 'Phone book'. But once in the phone book, there's no way to add a new contact. Wouldn't it make sense to at least include a menu option to add a contact? The workaround is to either go directly to the 'people app' or to type in the phone number and then hit 'save'.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
1. Personal preferences are just that. Mainstream defaults ensures everybody, even new member to the platform can use their devices. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU WOULD LIKE AUTO-CORRECT SETTINGS.

3. There is within the settings menu

THE SETTINGS MENU IS A MESS. IT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED UP

I might not have made myself completely clear; I mean a toggle within the quick toggle area on the notification shade.

And yes, I agree the settings menu needs a complete overall. But, as for the best way, I am not sure what it is at this point.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
And yes, I agree the settings menu needs a complete overall. But, as for the best way, I am not sure what it is at this point.

I think the entire Settings menu should be grouped and collapsed. It would make more taps, but it would be infinitely more orderly, and probably faster and easier in the long run.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I might not have made myself completely clear; I mean a toggle within the quick toggle area on the notification shade.

I have some ideas...

The heart of metro design lies in simplicity and reduction towards simplicity. This usually entails less data on the screen at once. Sometimes that is fine. Other times more information on screen is not only preferred but in essence, simpler. A settings menu is one of them. While I prefer the Control Panel when configuring my PC, I'll acknowledge it is difficult to perform via touch. The simplified PC Settings app bundled with 8.1 suffices in such instances. The organization is bit jarring after 15 years of using the Control Panel, but there is organization.

Where Windows 8.1 nails it is in the extra pane on the left. It provides the visual cue as to what menu you're in. If you look off to the left and see the header along with several other related settings, you feel grounded as to your location within the settings menu. Without this visual crutch, it places one tumbling through the zero-G of a vast settings menu.

So segmenting the different items into sections is numero uno.

Also reduce the empty space. 'Each option on one line should be fine.' and/or 'Substantially decrease the spacing.'

I would think a dual view could work, or even tri-view.
"Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced" depending upon the user.

Add in folders for settings, that could be configured to organize/hide/show certain options.

Dunno how many teams are concurrently working on a specific feature but it seems like the oversight is going overseen. They need to assign a team for sifting through and testing different UI designs of settings... like pronto.

SIDENOTE: I'm kinda glad the Goldfinger project was put on hold. There is much basic stuff that needs to be polished before moving onto such an ambitious change.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have some ideas...

The heart of metro design lies in simplicity and reduction towards simplicity. This usually entails less data on the screen at once. Sometimes that is fine. Other times more information on screen is not only preferred but in essence, simpler. A settings menu is one of them. While I prefer the Control Panel when configuring my PC, I'll acknowledge it is difficult to perform via touch. The simplified PC Settings app bundled with 8.1 suffices in such instances. The organization is bit jarring after 15 years of using the Control Panel, but there is organization.

Where Windows 8.1 nails it is in the extra pane on the left. It provides the visual cue as to what menu you're in. If you look off to the left and see the header along with several other related settings, you feel grounded as to your location within the settings menu. Without this visual crutch, it places one tumbling through the zero-G of a vast settings menu.

So segmenting the different items into sections is numero uno.

Also reduce the empty space. 'Each option on one line should be fine.' and/or 'Substantially decrease the spacing.'

I would think a dual view could work, or even tri-view.
"Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced" depending upon the user.

Add in folders for settings, that could be configured to organize/hide/show certain options.

Dunno how many teams are concurrently working on a specific feature but it seems like the oversight is going overseen. They need to assign a team for sifting through and testing different UI designs of settings... like pronto.

SIDENOTE: I'm kinda glad the Goldfinger project was put on hold. There is much basic stuff that needs to be polished before moving onto such an ambitious change.

I have stated this elsewhere also, but I am not sure of the best way to address it. A laundry list of items, with subcategories in that is daunting for first time users and even those that have used Windows Phone for a bit, still struggle to always know exactly where to go for a setting.

I wonder if having a major categories: Phone, Wifi, Date/Time, etc as pivots and under that options for selection. I know this might not be the best either since multiple manufacturers might put similar settings in different areas. Maybe MS can give guidance and/or standardize the settings menu for all manufacturers.

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My biggies are the keyboard not remembering my email address and not being able to use punctuation with cortana. Drives me crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes