Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 dp = no more temporary files?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that since updating to Update 1 on 8.1 via developer's preview, there's no more temporary files? It kind of bothers me because before, with the temp files, I was able to delete them in Storage Sense and then regain some space. Now, there's no option for doing that since temp files no longer appear. That bothers me somewhat. :unhappysweat:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. I'm running Preview 8.1 Update 1, and I still have temporary files.
wp_ss_20140809_0001.png

"other" has been gone ever since the original 8.1 Preview back in April.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
On my 810 I don't have any temp files or other on the main storage but on my SD card I have 0 temp files and 154.94 in other. I think 8.1 update one did a good thing :3

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
@ Laura - That's really odd. I have no temp files now in both my 810 and 925, but I do have other showing something on both. Hmm... Of course, neither of my phones are running Cyan. The 810 is of course running Amber and the 925 Black.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
On my 1520 with Cyan and 8.1... no temporary files either... normally this is where you would see IE kinds of things (that browser Cache stuff).... So I did some poking about... turned off Data Sense in IE settings (just in case there's something I'm not completely understanding about that setting).... Anyway, after surfing some sites in IE... I can see the "Other" size go up... is IE putting cached items there?

So I go back into IE and delete Browser history, and indeed "Other" went from 104MB down to 46MB.... that's interesting... Temp stays at 0.

~ScottGeek.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if update one moved the temp files to the other storage. I did a test on my 810. On the phone storage the system storage it read 2.21 while the temp and other remained 0 . So went to clear the temp files and when it was updating the system storage went from 2.21 to 2.19

So I did the same thing on the SD setting . I cleared the temp files and my other storage went from 141to 139.

Very interesting indeed

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if update one moved the temp files to the other storage. I did a test on my 810. On the phone storage the system storage it read 2.21 while the temp and other remained 0 . So went to clear the temp files and when it was updating the system storage went from 2.21 to 2.19

So I did the same thing on the SD setting . I cleared the temp files and my other storage went from 141to 139.

Very interesting indeed

That update change probably did happen... on the a PC... IE cache files are normally (as a default) placed within something like users\<you>\appdata\.... or the appdata path that relates to your login. Maybe "other" is analogous to the AppData.

And windows temp is normally used by windows installer, service temp space, and any running program that makes itself use the tmp or temp locations for any user. If on the WP, temporary now works more like the traditional windows temp, I'm not surprised that it seems to always be showing 0. This place has always been meant to be "scratch" disk space where files come and go.

The difference, of course, between ...AppData and Temp, the AppData tends to be protected for the user whereas Temp is open to anyone on the system. Am I sensing that MS is gearing up the file system for Multi-User? No, I would never hint at that...and I would deny I started any rumor like that. :angel:

This "other" location is something different? It is curious. I think I would have called it AppData to make it less confusing.

~ScottGeek.

Teeeerex

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Same thing for me, on 520 and Black. I thought I was the only one seeing this. Phew.. I hope Microsoft is aware of this issue and that it will be fixed. Storage check, though buggy now, does recognize some temporary files.
It is tolerable for the time being, and can be reduced, but not below certain values.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This issue continues and really bothers me. I haven't done much with my 925 the past few days. Haven't even taken any new pics or anything, but today, my storage is 10.02GB free. Two or three days ago, it was 10.05GB free. Where the heck is the other 0.3GB??? I know that before Update 1, I would have been able to get it back using Storage Sense. WTF is up with this??? Give me back my temporary files! They're still showing as 0KB, yet my storage is very slowly but surely leaking away somewhere.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But still in Nokia storage beta app other for me remain at 1.5 gb using lumia 820 here.but no problem since I can use micro sd card to expand the storage which is a boon for low memory devices.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers