Okay, I screwed up bad!!!

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys! I got all my apps and games back at least, but my photos are gone, my start screen is screwed, and I still don't have Update 1 and live folders, and the phone won't update to it. I'll leave it at that. Maybe update 1 will come soon.

The phone will update to it provided you re enrol to dev preview program. I hadnt gone 8.1 Dev Preview as it was OS meant for a new FW so being a skeptic I stayed put for Cyan. Now on 8.1 GDR1 as It will not have a FW update just an update to 8.1. Less Risk. :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
When you re-enrol you will not lose 8.1 or cyan and you will regain the ability to install GDR1 and the future updates prior to public release. Once back up on GDR1, do a hard reset and once you restore it should go back to the state where it was previously before you downgraded (providing you or the phone did an auto back up whilst on GDR1)

Best thing to do really is even if you rarely take pictures, once a week move / copy all the folders on your phone to a back up folder labeled with the date + time of folder creation which is then housed in a back up folder and have that folder sync to an external storage or a NAS drive if you have one just in case your pc or laptop fails (honestly it takes a couple of minutes and you still can use your phone).

Since you have the 1520, have all your media save onto the mSD card, at least make use of that function if your too lazy to do regular back ups :grin:

Personally I tell everyone to move all folders of their phone keeping any files that they really need to have access to, this way in case your phone is lost, stolen or fudged up due to an update - You have not lost all your data. Case in point one of my cousin's dropped his Iphone 5s today onto the pavement (as he was running for the bus in the rain)- got smashed to oblivion since he had apple care he didn't care about the phone just that his "entire life" was on that phone - pictures, videos, notes, etc. His still going on about it now on whatsapp... from his back up iphone 4s. :grincry:
Of course I could wind him up by doing another drop test with my 920 in its ?1 TPU case, but I am not that cold hearted :winktongue:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Update 1 could take months before it is pushed out by AT&T. I recognize you no longer want to use a developer preview and I typically recommend against casual users installing it. However, this one is more fixes than anything else and that it appears unlikely that there will be an associated firmware update...

Maaz, strongly disagree with quoted text - willing to bet there is a firmware update on the horizon (the D color update). Appears there needs to be updated firmware to offset IE battery drain with update 1. For the short time I had 8.1 w Cyan (official), battery was outstanding, after installing update 1 (Dev Preview) the biggest battery drain appears to be IE (in use). Either we see an update to update 1 and / or we'll see the latest color iteration of firmware updated (probably officially around Halloween).

We shall see ...

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys! I got all my apps and games back at least, but my photos are gone, my start screen is screwed, and I still don't have Update 1 and live folders, and the phone won't update to it. I'll leave it at that. Maybe update 1 will come soon.
Why didn't you back up your start screen and everything else? FTR, I've done what you did, well I flashed my phone to another ROM and got everything back by letting it restore overnight. Really seems like user error here

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Maaz, strongly disagree with quoted text - willing to bet there is a firmware update on the horizon (the D color update). Appears there needs to be updated firmware to offset IE battery drain with update 1. For the short time I had 8.1 w Cyan (official), battery was outstanding, after installing update 1 (Dev Preview) the biggest battery drain appears to be IE (in use). Either we see an update to update 1 and / or we'll see the latest color iteration of firmware updated (probably officially around Halloween).

We shall see ...

If you recall, there were a few updates to DP for WP 8.1. Initially I had horrible battery life as well but this was resolved in subsequent updates of DP prior to updating the firmware. I expect the same for Update 1 as well. If IE is causing a battery drain, Microsoft will update DP before Update 1 is finalized.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow, can't believe it has taken 2 pages worth of posts for this.
Dev Preview is a blessing in disguise for enthusiastic folks. Others should always stick on official roll out cycles. Trust me, you will still see more frequent updates (real ones - not "bug fixes") than any other platform on this planet, for a foreseeable future.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you recall, there were a few updates to DP for WP 8.1. Initially I had horrible battery life as well but this was resolved in subsequent updates of DP prior to updating the firmware. I expect the same for Update 1 as well. If IE is causing a battery drain, Microsoft will update DP before Update 1 is finalized.

YES, updates will come, but my (educated ?) guess would be driver issues related to the upgrade of IE. This is my personal opinion, and nothing more ... but, the first thing I noticed after update 1 was IE draining battery.

That being said, the execution of folders is nice, my start screen is covered with them, possibly move the title to the top ... and I've been waiting for the select delete function on SMS / MMS / Call History. ( I see select all is included in Call History, but NOT on SMS / MMS, perhaps an oversight, allows you to select all, then uncheck the few you want to keep)

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
YES, updates will come, but my (educated ?) guess would be driver issues related to the upgrade of IE. This is my personal opinion, and nothing more ... but, the first thing I noticed after update 1 was IE draining battery.

That being said, the execution of folders is nice, my start screen is covered with them, possibly move the title to the top ... and I've been waiting for the select delete function on SMS / MMS / Call History. ( I see select all is included in Call History, but NOT on SMS / MMS, perhaps an oversight, allows you to select all, then uncheck the few you want to keep)

I see what you're saying, but wanted to make a few points. First, what changed in IE so significantly that it would require a firmware update? It's simply a web browser. Sure, they changed some browsers strings and such to improve compatibility and maybe they made some minor modifications to the core software that is causing memory leaks in some instances causing battery drain, but I don't see it as something that cannot be fixed in a future software update. Second thing is the update is in preview even before some carriers/phone models have distributed the previous version. I think the primary focus of update 1 is to fix any problems that were lingering from WP 8.1. The secondary focus is to add a few features that were not ready in time for WP 8.1's release. It does not change any of the primary functions of the phone so I honestly don't see why a firmware update would be necessary. But as you said, "We Shall See."

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you were ever a Wintel Dev, you're familiar with the term 'DLL Hell' ... we shall see if drivers are needed to facilitate smoother execution in IE.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Besides the fact, what we know as OS vs. Firmware ... it's all still CODE.

There are several different versions of IE (for PCs) depending on your core, 32 / 64 bit, OS, etc.
IE11 for WinPhone has to be all things to all devices, the drivers will customize the experience, based on hardware & core (read: SOC) from the Lumia 520 to the Lumia 1520 to the HTC ONE W8, etc.

Maaz, You look like an intelligent guy, a proverbial deep thinker ... There'll be a firmware update, I'll betcha a (virtual) million dollars ! or we shall see, I could be WRONG.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE : too early to tell, but Battery seems to have settled down, this morning.
7% usage over the first 2 hours, this morning, we'll watch & see.

BTW changed NOTHING

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Very good information about Developer Preview. I read all the comments and for the first time, feel comfortable trying the DP from WP 8.0.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE : too early to tell, but Battery seems to have settled down, this morning.
7% usage over the first 2 hours, this morning, we'll watch & see.

BTW changed NOTHING

Interesting. I haven't noticed any battery drain on my 1520 as of yet. I still feel that a firmware update is unlikely and would only be issued as a last resort. I think at best, if any memory leaks are found in IE, it will be fixed in an update to Update 1 in the near future. I believe there is still supposed to be an Update 2 as early as October or November so considering the amount of time required for approval and the fact that they haven't even announced a firmware update yet, it would be more suitable to wait until Update 2. We know some new phones are going to ship with update 1 preinstalled and one of the reasons why is because some changes in Update 1 were needed to support phones such as the HTC One. If Update 2 is still coming later this year, carriers may opt to wait until then before approving the update meaning they may never push Update 1 and with any luck, we might get Update 2 and a firmware update (if required) approved by carriers in the December/January timeframe.
Anyway, we'll see what happens. This is all speculation, of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi