Apple and Android (some) have fingerprint scanners. Why not facial recognition for Windows Phone?

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
After listening to a friend talking about the fingerprint scanner on her iPhone, I started wondering what Microsoft could do to implement a similar security feature. Half of the appeal of the iPhone's fingerprint scanner is the cool factor. Admit it, it's cool. Why not facial recognition for Windows Phone? The software exists, it's used by law enforcement daily. The only extra hardware needed would be an extra LED near the front facing camera for low light situations, which could also double as a notification light. I think facial recognition to unlock your phone would be just as, if not more, cool. Not an app, a baked in firmware feature. Thoughts?

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Android have had Facial unlock feature for years but its easily fooled by photos, and sometimes other people.

I personally never bothered with it.

I like the Fingerprint unlock feature of the iPhone but its not a feature I yearn for.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Software can be improved, and Microsoft has virtually unlimited funds. It would be nice if they could do facial recognition "right."

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
It can be improved so that it's not so easily fooled. Registering eye blinks, or requiring front and profile scans, for example. Someone could make a fake thumb with latex, or God forbid cut someone's thumb off, to fool fingerprint scanners. The odds of that happening are extremely low. The thumbprint scan is also essential to Apple's NFC being approved. Where can I use Wallet again?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
For wat end. Its just a gimmick. The four number pin is save enough. Most people use four digits for even more valuables than a phone. My credit card for instance.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
What's the point of cars? We have bicycles. What's the point of a washing machine? We have creeks and rocks. What's the point of phones? We have pen and paper. What's the point of a touch screen cell phone? We have flip phones.

For what end? Security. To help adoption of a Microsoft NFC solution that may actually be able to be used.

Really? No one sees the potential benefit of a facial recognition solution?

Never mind, Google has several patents regarding tacking movement. Microsoft's still hard at work on their notification center.

Google patents new facial recognition technology to let users unlock phones with a wink and a smile

Nothing against the fingerprint scanners, Microsoft may implement them if they're still making phones. I was just thinking about a solution that wouldn't require many hardware modifications.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Pin is still proofed to be save so why the nonsense. Not many that i know uses those features, they all use pin ore pattern unlock on there droid phones.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Im not putting finger prints on my screen. And what about screen protectors will scanner still function if I use a screen protector. Fingerprint is a gimmick nothing more. If you want fingerprint unlock just use the built in one. Except its 4 finger prints unlock. That means you press 4 numbers for your pin. See fingerprint unlock.

HAR DAR HAR, I unlock with finger and you still use pin HAR DAR HAR Im h4xx0r 1337

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk