WP Perception!!

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
It maybe a case of we're our own worst advocate with respect to WP. I've seen many screenshots of WP devices and honestly I can see why non-users would be turned off by it, some of us do a very poor job of creating a visual experience for those looking at our devices. On the larger screens 5-6"ers it's as if we try to put every single app installed on our device on the screen. By doing that it's like looking at a 200pc Lego set scattered on the floor, very disorganized but I'm not telling you what to put on your screen but TBH how do expect anything but (-) towards our OS when we have people who do it no favors. In the end those who own IOS and Android devices have what they most need on their HS and all else on the other screens arranged by need/usage. All I'm saying if we're looking to show how far WP has come since WP7 we need to truly do it justice and at least if we're showing any non WP user our device at least allow them to decipher exactly what they're looking at instead of an explosion of color or transparent small tiles. Just my take on it!!

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
re:

The phone is a personal layout, mine is not set so others can see it and use it. Its setup so I can use it, it is very organized according to what I find important. Microsoft does advertise it as the most personal phone OS, and it well.... is. You can pick up any ole android or IOS device and see the exact same thing, a grid of static icons.

Microsoft just needs to find a way to explain how the OS is more personal.

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
re:

Tbh I somewhat agree with the OP. Even in the commercials the start screen of windows phone look so ugly and unappealing to the potential first time buyers. This might be a reason for concern.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree. I keep what I use most on my start screen. No small tiles (they make it look a bit messy). All but one are medium. Up until recently I had about 26 tiles on my start screen, now I have 17 (after I went on a "I don't need you anymore" , "I use you once a week" clearing up mission). I see some promotional pics and damn, they fill that start screen like crazy. It always seems like they are trying to put every popular app on the start screen to "prove" that windows phone has apps. All it does is make it look unappealing and messy. You can hardly see what theme colour is on the phone! People should really take more care into the layout of their start screen.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
re:

Seriously? Its not our job to "advocate" for the platform so I see no reason why anyone should setup their start screen with special consideration for ios and android users. That's a completely ludicrous suggestion, my phone is for my personal use not an advert for Microsoft. People are really starting to take this WP loyalty thing too far....

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
re:

I have found people think mine is messy as well, but then I explain to them how the live tiles work and that I have all my news, music, financial, games, and utility apps in their own folder that think it makes a lot of sense. I show them all our phones can do and theirs can't and they all think it is pretty awesome.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
re:

One of the perceptions I had was that every app would get shoved onto the screen, and all I would be able to do is rearrage/resize them. I really didn't like the idea of Live Tiles - their animations are very distracting to me; when they move, they are shouting "HEY, LOOK AT ME!!"

But when I found a Window Phone user to talk to, she explained that I can remove the tiles. So when I bough my Lumia 735 the first thing I did was remove ALL the tiles, remove all the apps I'd never use, and only then did I sort out my start screen. It is now just as I like it - have a dozen tiles, arranged in just the way I like.

And I have to say, I much prefer the Windows Phone way compared with Android.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
re:

Another complaint is how static/flat/dumb the tiles are.

Screenshots obviously do not help this at all. When you look at a WP set up for you, it is ALIVE.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
re:

Don't ever really see any negative space used either -- everyone is packing things in.

When I got my Icon I basically just went with the same stuff I've used on my 928 and 520.

Cascaded them a bit differently for the 3 tile layout, and that was that.

8e30606121b04410605dbbf42a37c84c.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa