I want Outlook to work like the Gmail app (no downloading, just viewing of emails), how?

tourizt

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I was a heavy android user before, now making the move to windows, because of the Lumia 1020 Camera...

I connected my gmail acocunt without problems to the phone. There is outlook now.

However, what does outlook do? Is it physically downloading emails? I dont want that of course...I just want to be able to see and search all my google mails, like with gmail, or if I am logged in in gmail website

So, what is outlook doing? Is it physically downloading email to the phone storage when syncing?

I wanted to forward an email with attachment from outlook, but the email was sent without attachment! I had to download the attachment before, then forward the email?
-this is crap, what if I am out and get an email with 10MB attachment, which I want to forward. I dont want to download the attachment then...I just want to forward the mail with attachment...like with the gmail app...all the mails incl. attachments are on the google server, that is where they should remain...

-> So what should I do, in order to be able to forward emails with attachments from outlook, without having to download the attachment before in outlook?

Another question: I had Notes on my android phone. How do I get them out there to my windows phone?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've never known Outlook to ever work that way. If you want gmail, just use gmail. That or wait until Microsoft releases its recent email acquisition.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Decide which is more important to you: the 1020's camera, or the email functionality you want. You won't get both! Email is one of WP's pain points.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're a user of email on WP, it shouldn't need to be explained to you! Did you read the OP's post?

Did you ever try to attach documents to an email? Did you ever receive an email that you needed to reply to and add an attachment?

Explained.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're a user of email on WP, it shouldn't need to be explained to you! Did you read the OP's post?

Did you ever try to attach documents to an email? Did you ever receive an email that you needed to reply to and add an attachment?

Explained.

Oh that. I thought it was maybe another matter. I've been using Mail Plus since I was on WP7. It has a built in file manager that lets you attach files to your merry heart's content. It reminds me of the good ol' days on WinMo when we had a REAL Outlook client.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh that. I thought it was maybe another matter. I've been using Mail Plus since I was on WP7. It has a built in file manager that lets you attach files to your merry heart's content. It reminds me of the good ol' days on WinMo when we had a REAL Outlook client.

Well, there is "another matter", that being what the OP was asking about. WP's built in email functionality is a poor excuse for a platform wishing to be taken seriously in the business world. I have some colleagues who are WP fanboys (self proclaimed). They would make some of you look like haters by comparison. They don't even use email much on their phones because it's useless for how they would like to use it.

Anyway, this hasn't come up in awhile, but it has been discussed ad nauseam in the past. I don't even like to reply to these because of the posts that usually follow which answer the OP by saying "You're doing it wrong" (Remember Apple?) or "Why do you need to do that?". I don't think it's fair if we don't cut it straight to those who have questions. Yes, explaining a workaround is acceptable and even a good idea, but we owe it to new arrivals to honestly lay out the weaknesses where they exist. There's too much dancing around the issues here, trying to hide them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, this hasn't come up in awhile, but it has been discussed ad nauseam in the past.

That's why I thought it was maybe something new. You're right, we should warn new users about the potential pitfalls but you get used to workarounds after a while and it becomes 2nd nature. Unfortunately, I really didn't understand what he was asking about.

"However, what does outlook do? Is it physically downloading emails? I dont want that of course...I just want to be able to see and search all my google mails, like with gmail, or if I am logged in in gmail website"

If he's wondering if Hotmail/Outlook can be turned off, the answer is yes. Open Outlook>Settings>Sync Settings>Uncheck "Email" under Content to sync.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Everything needs to be downloaded in order to be viewed. Web pages are downloaded. Learning how something works is necessary in order to use it correctly

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft just acquired the email app Acompli currently available on ios and android. Its a nice mail app and it may just do some of the things the OP is talking about.

tourizt

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi, sorry, I didnt check-in for a while.

From your discussion I understand that Windows Phone has issues with email functionalities.

What I was asking:

I receiven an email with a lets say 10 MB pdf attachment.

I am on the road (so no wifi).

I want to forward this email with attachment to someone.

When I click respond and forward, the email gets forwarded. However, the attachmet does not get forward...

It only get forwarded, if download the attachment first in outlook, then click respond and forward. I just tested it again.

This is horrible of course...

In gmail, I dont have to download any attachment, I simply can forward an email with attachment. I mean this is the way it should be, right? Why should I download an attachment physically to my phone, in order to forward it again?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes the email should/could be improved (and will be improved)

I do not want to start a yes no thing but downloading also has benefits. You do not need to use any data if you want to read "older" emails.

And how often do you forward an email with an attachment without reading the attachment?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss