Anybody else having issues with Metromail not enabling Live Tiles?

docholliday666

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Anybody else having issues with Metromail after the newest update not enabling Live Tiles at all (ends up with "An unknown error has occurred") and no push notifications happening?

geobrz

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
My live tile is "grayed" out, tapping it does nothing. Tapping MetroMail in the apps list also does nothing. In my action center, it does list new emails, but tapping on them does nothing.

docholliday666

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Did you check the metromail help site maybe they have some information which can help.

That "help site" is a joke. Already sent notification to the dev, but no response, not a single peep about the issue. The app's always had issues with enabling Live Tile, but there was a workaround. Now, even the workaround doesn't enable it. Nor does uninstalling/reinstalling accounts or the whole app.

Packet tracing the connection from the app seems to show no response from the remote connection, so either something's changed and the dev hasn't updated or there's a big bug in the app. The app contacts metromailapp .com, does a TLS exchange and gets a few packets. Then, connects to ocsp.comodoca .com to retrieve a encrypted string via the CryptoAPI. It then sits spinning for 30-60 seconds until probably a socket timeout. It then attempts to contact metromailapp .com again, but gets a socket reset on the SSL connection.

Looks like it's passing the wrong data or the server at the other end is failing to respond. Waiting for the dev to respond, but not a peep, even after a half dozen attempts to contact directly via email.

As a dev, I try to at least acknowledge inbound messages with something, even if it's "I know...I'm working on it". I just thought that maybe posting it here would catch the dev's attention, as he/she seems to visit here occasionally.

Alexgilseg

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having exact same problem. Been seraching for a solution for maybe 2 hours now but nada.. Please reply back here if you find anything out..

Best of luck!

kilrathi29

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
My experience is a little different but I think I have the same problem. When I try to activate the live tile and notifications (I switched devices) it says :an unknown error has occurred" and of course it doesn't get activated. I have sent an email to the developer (today) so I he answers anything I will tell you)

EDIT:
Though I never got an answer it seems to be OK now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven